cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard

Saijohn
Level 7
Would like to know if anyone here experiencing issue with K70 RGB connected to RVE?

I have them both connected and everything was working fine.
However, since Windows 10 update build 1511 (something like that) along with a Corsair Utility Engine and firmwire update my keyboard started to act weird. Normally when I turn off my PC, I would also switch off the PSU. But then the next time I turn on my PC, my K70 would go into demo mode (lights would start flashing and cycling) and the keyboard would not register any keys pressed. Only way to fix this is to unplug and replug the USB cable. But this does not happen if I just turn off the system without flipping the switch of the PSU or do a restart in windows.

I emailed Corsair but they don't seem to know what is causing it. They told me to go into the bios and set full initialization under fast boot and also change some settings in Windows power options for the USB. But this did not fix my problem with the keyboard....

Is there something else in the Bios I need to set to fix this??
11 REPLIES 11

coyi1895
Level 10
Simple question - when you say both of them plugged in, are they in the USB 2 ports? If plugged in the USB 3 port, then you don't need both of them in.

I had a problem like that when disconnecting all the usb out, and do some work on it and plugged them back in. My keyboard went a bit crazy with the colours and I just pulled it out and move to another usb 3 port and then continually do so until the familiar red led is showing and my keyboard is working again.

I have tried with both cables plugged into USB 2 ports and with just one plugged into USB 3 port but its still the same. Everytime when the keyboard is acting weird from the first startup (switching the PSU on and then turn on the PC) I just unplug and replug and everything is fine. Therefore, its either a bug with the keyboard or for some reason RVE has some kind of handshake issue with the keyboard. That's my guess.

coyi1895
Level 10
TBH, I didn't do anything in the BIOS for my keyboard, also, I don't turn the PSU off when shutting down unless I need to do work on it or replacing parts and that was when my keyboard acted up, demo mode (all white and then spiral and then no colours at all, non-responsive) - otherwise restarting and shutting down, my keyboard works fine. I'm using Windows 10 as well. Did you do the Windows 10 build 1511 clean installation as well?

Saijohn
Level 7
I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a 850 Pro SSD. Then copied it over to a 950 Pro and updated to Windows 10 build 1511. Dont know if that's why. But on a second thought it shouldn't matter with windows because the mobo should detect that there's a keyboard during post.

coyi1895
Level 10
Yeah you're right, it's a long shot. Maybe don't switch the PSU off after shutting down unless you have to and press Corsair to look into it. I can verify that happened to me not long ago.

The other time my keyboard's LED wasn't showing as it should be but responsive was down to the Gigabyte OC Guru II software at startup. I uninstalled the Gigabyte software and my keyboard was fine again. The Corsair K70 RGB is a complex keyboard along with a complex software though.

Same thing happens to me with a k95 rgb, I don't usually turn off the psu but when I do it does the demo mode, I usually just hit the small round buttons on the top left that control the lighting presets in no particular order and it seems to go back to normal.

Saijohn
Level 7
I got a message back from corsair and they told me to RMA the keyboard after I told them that they suggestion did not fix my K70. So I guess it is a common issue with their RGB keyboards made prior to the release of windows 10.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Don't RMA it, the next one will do the same - mine did and does so. Just don't switch off the PSU and you're good to go.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

Saijohn
Level 7
Well there are days that I don't get to use my PC and I would prefer to switch off the PSU to be safe. Anyways it is pointless to RMA if the new one would do the same. It's just a shame how it use to work flawlessly and all of a sudden after an update it crapped out on me and others who have the same issue. Anyways gonna repurpose the K70 for my laptop and get something else for the PC.