cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix 980 ti Asic score

JustStarting
Level 9
69.1 is the score for mine

This does not sound to great for one of the more expensive cards on the market. £650 And Asus "top" card other then there 20th edition.
12 REPLIES 12

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
How do you find out that score? Regardless, it's my understanding that these scores aren't binding?
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

Vlada011
Level 10
You can buy cards with 80% ASIC if you want, but that's not warranty.
But such card cost 1000$ and work on same speed as Matrix...cost so much only because higher ASIC.
That's weird because same company, EVGA only one year before that explain that ASIC is not important even if people get 50%.
Better invest similar money in Gold version, she work on higher clock and you don't care about ASIC.
And than you know you have fastest card ever build... If someone tell you my could work faster, you answer him
Go to hell ...and that's it. 🙂 They could only to push their cards if want same speed as Gold and much more people will fail to stabilize 980Ti on 270MHz over reference.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
All good and well but how do I find out the ASIC of my card for example? I must add that I am not a believer, like you also said.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

the f34r channel wrote:
all good and well but how do i find out the asic of my card for example? I must add that i am not a believer, like you also said.

gpu-z.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
I must have overlooked it then oops

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Found it, it's not really obvious to find in the first place. Anyway, 60.1%.

The F34R Channel wrote:
Found it, it's not really obvious to find in the first place. Anyway, 60.1%.

Understandable. The average user wouldn't know or care about ASIC score. lol

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
How does it work, calculate it?

Korth
Level 14
ASIC quality is explained well enough here.

The silicon fab process cannot deposit linear circuit pathways and component nodes onto the substrate with absolute precision, every single chip has many physical/electrical flaws when examined at the molecular level. Low ASIC quality means statistically higher incidence of electrical leakage at critical junctions, this means the (GPU) ASIC chip as a whole requires more power and produces more heat, it often also means the chip cannot sustain stable operation of faster clocks or it can only do so while ramping up power consumption (and heat output) along a steeper exponential curve. High ASIC quality is desirable for hard overclocking because the parts will tend to run stable at faster clocks while consuming less power and spewing less heat.

The GPUs are manufactured only by AMD or NVIDIA (and both employ the same TSMC fab plant), they are tested only to ensure that all circuit blocks and functions are operational at AMD/NVIDIA "reference" performance levels - nonfunctional parts are destroyed (or carefully analyzed to increase future process yields), partially-functional parts are binned as lesser GPUs with the bad circuit components deactivated (sometimes not even electrically connected, though more often a reference "fully connected" chip package with the bad circuitry locked out in firmware). GPU card makers (Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc) then buy batch quantities of these GPUs and re-bin them internally, they use those with lower ASIC quality on their reference-clocked cards, they set aside those with higher ASIC qualities for their factory-overclocked offerings. All this testing and binning and retesting and rebinning is expensive and time-consuming, and it takes them a while to hoard enough "perfect" chips to produce their most elite fastest-overclocked cards in volume.

GPU-Z does have a software ASIC Quality test, it's probably based on extensive tabulated comparisons of measured electrical efficiency under an array of differing conditions, but the exact parameters and implementation are largely a mystery. This test could, in fact, be wildly inaccurate and based on very arbitary measures - AMD, NVIDIA, TSMC, and all the GPU card manufacturers don't volunteer detailed technical information which could be used to give competitors (and investors) any kind of edge. But the GPU-Z test is at least a useful rough indicator, it is useful for comparing your ASIC Qualities with other people (online) who use the same testing metrics, and it certainly "sets the bench" where no other benchmark exists.

The GPU in your Matrix GTX980Ti has been binned and rebinned with a lot of precision (because a lot of money is involved), so it likely has an ASIC quality which is consistent with all other Matrix GTX980Ti cards. And better than Asus reference GTX980Ti cards. And worse than faster-clocked EVGA GTX980Ti cards. But there are individual variances within each batch of parts, it's always possible that yours is a little better than than the norm, it's also always possible yours is a little worse (though less likely, since it has to promise a minimum performance level to command a premium price). Compare your ASIC quality with those reported by GTX980Ti users on the techPowerUp GPU database.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]