cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW-BHI7N12 HDD Rattling & Heating questions - Normal?

falloutsheldon
Level 7
Hi all,

I am new to this board and I just wanted to say that browsing through all of you looked very welcoming and helpful.

I recently purchased a G501 notebook from BestBuy. Here is the specs:

Model: G501JW-BHI7N12
Graphics Card #1 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics (2GB)
Graphics Card #2: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200
Processor: 4th Gen Intel i7-4750 base 2.0 GhZ turbo 3.2

On to my questions. First, my computer seems to be making rattly sounds coming from the HDD. It's intermittent, but when it does go off it will go for a few minutes in a very consistent pattern. It has the same sound as the past two X550 computers (both new, both returned) and I figure this is fairly normal. It is not terribly loud, but noticeable.

Next, I am concerned my computer is overheating. I use Tech - GPUz and MSI Afterburner to help glean my GPU info. My Nvidia card will stay at around 78 C during heavier gameplay, like Just Cause 3, and sometimes Fallout 4. Is this a safe & normal temperature when the game is on Low settings? Should I be concerned?

Also, when I Alt + Tab out of the game to check my Intel Iris temps, it careens as high as 86 C during gameplay. Again, is this something I should be concerned about?

I apologize for the length of this post. Thank you so much and if you could possibly help me in any way, even giving your own experiences, that would be very much appreciated.

NOTE: These temperatures were observed, especially in the case of Just Cause 3, around 10 minutes into gaming.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

InfernoStorm
Level 10
The G501 section doesn't seem to be actively managed so sorry that no one replied to your post. Usually posting in general hardware would probably warrant a better chance of a response.

have you tried opening up the laptop to check the hard drive?

G501 is a 15" laptop with a pretty good dedicated graphics card in the GTX 960M so it does get extremely hot, the temps look OK but they're not great.

Anything in the 80s however is really just too high, I recommend that you contact support regarding this.