cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From G750 to G751, worth the upgrade?

HoTo
Level 7
Hi there, I'm a happy owner of the G750JX with 770M, considering upgrading to the G751JY with 980M because of a sale that just started.

First of all, I've heard the G751 has a IPS panel with G-sync and 75hz. I overclocked my G750 to 90hz refresh rate with brilliant results, would it also be possible to overclock the G751 panel, even though it's an IPS with Optimus and G-sync?

As someone who values refresh rate, maybe it's worth hoping for a 120/144hz release later this year?
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Leaving the display overclocking out of the picture and looking purely a 3Dmarks performance, specifically firestrike.

The GTX770M paired with a 4700HQ cpu returns scores in the 3500 range.
The GTX980M paired with a 4720HQ cpu returns scores in the 8500 range.

If more than doubling your performance is worth the upgrade, then I would say go for it, especially if the sale price is a good one. I looked for the G751JY flagship DB73X to pop up on sale for a decent discount but it never did. I ended up jumping on a G752VY DH72 intead when a sale on those for less than the G751JY DB72 popped up.

Keep in mind that a 90hz refresh rate isnt worth a hill of beans on a GPU thats putting out 20 FPS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

90hz works fine in light games like CS:GO... Actually I hit over 4000 in Firemark, and I'm actually pretty close the 980M stats in the 3 other basic tests =P But I assume Firestrike gives the most accurate picture of the power?

Now I don't doubt the graphics card would be a huge improvement, but I'm still quite curious if someone has managed to reach 90+ refresh rate with the IPS panel...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Honestly don't know if anyone has even tried. Personally I haven't, I'm so old the refresh rate on my eyes can't keep up with 75Hz.

Yes firestrike is for higher end cards. The low end tests, ice storm and cloudgate are meant to test weak graphics like phones. Some of the higher end systems actually tank the lower scores because it never gets the GPU out of idle.

The examples I posted were stock. It's not uncommon to get a 980 over the 10000 mark and pretty easy to get it over 9000.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Well, I do know a lot of people have tried, but that was a year ago and I really wonder if it has been successfull, and whether optimus and new drivers allow them to keep the refresh rate up... Would be really helpful if someone who have tried could inform me.

I know two people who have the G751, but they don't even have the default option for 75hz... Only 60.

sevymar
Level 7
I've done the upgrade from a G750JX to the G752VY.

Loving it so far!

Me too ! G752VY totally worth it! If you can wait, GX700 !!! That's what i want !!!!

Jlieu wrote:
Me too ! G752VY totally worth it! If you can wait, GX700 !!! That's what i want !!!!

Lol, that one is like 4k€ ? better off buying a gaming desktop then. can upgrade parts individually in the future instead.

Corporal
Level 9
I know two people who have the G751, but they don't even have the default option for 75hz... Only 60.

The default option doesn't matter, set it to whatever you want between 60 and 100 (stops working after 105 I heard)
http://prntscr.com/9u5t2c

HoTo
Level 7
Hmm, okay! Thanks guys, but I might wait a year to see if price goes down even more, or maybe some 120/144hz laptops gets announced.