Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 G46VW Bios Mod Unlock Overclock Update Tweak

ModJPB
Level 7
G46VW Modded Bios
Unlocked - Overclocked - Updated

A modded bios with firmware updates, unlocked hidden settings, and enabled performance features unavailable before.
Thank you to those who helped with the mods! Doink, Dreamonic, Fernando & SonicX

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your laptop. Heat and power could go beyond design causing damage. Many unlocked settings, when changed, can cause your system to not boot. BIOS reset jumper does not work nor does flashback feature. If new setting prevents system start, you will need an external programmer or solder a new programmed BIOS chip. Some unlocked settings don't seem to have an affect when changed.

---> Download: G46VW Mod BIOS v5 4/14/18 Beta <---

G46VW Bios210 Base:
UNLOCKED Chipset menu and hidden options for CPU and memory overclocking and adjustable timings.

Overclock CPU Boost Multipliers

37xxQM series and higher - Upto 4 multipliers

K series - Unlimited

GTX660m VBIOS: Disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, then enable CSM.

Overclock Limit - raised +405
Overvolt- Adjustable upto 1.20V

Updated:

Atheros Ethernet: 2.0.2.6/2.1.1.1 ---> 2.0.6.6/2.1.1.5

Intel Raid/SATA: 11.6.0.1702 ---> 15.1.0.2545

Intel VBIOS: 2137 ---> 2171

Intel GOP IvyBridge: 3.0.1023 ---> 3.0.1030

Intel CPU Microcode

IvyBridge: 15 ---> 1F

SandyBridge: 28 ---> 2D

Intel ME: 8.1.10.1286 ---> 8.1.70.1590 (Run METool.exe to update)

Miscellaneous
New Static Boot Splash Images
BIOS defaults changed for performance and compatibility Win8/8.1/10 (Choose 'Restore Defaults' in BIOS)
Fix for keyboard backlights not working. (Read 'Read Me' in fixmykb folder)

Changelog v4 ---> v5:
Updated Sata firmware, CPU Microcodes, & ME Firmware - Updates are Intel's security fixes.

Known Bug - GTX660m VBIOS - battery profile voltage stuck at 3D profile.

Procedure:
1) Download and extract to empty folder above download.
2) Run flash.bat (flash will start immediately. Mouse and keyboard will be unresponsive until done.)
3) Shutdown, wait several seconds, power on

System Specifications G46VW:
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • GTX660m @1250MHz 1.5V/2800MHz
  • Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz Cl8 8Gb (2x4GB)
  • SSD Samsung 840 Evo msata 256Gb
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900
  • Killer 1202 Wireless NIC
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900
39 REPLIES 39

ModJPB
Level 7
Reserved for Q&A:

Please send Feedback. If Any questions please ask before assuming. If anything is unclear please let me know.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

InfernoStorm
Level 10
This is awesome, an older laptop with ability to overclock. Great stuff! 🙂

rcarlos243
Level 7
Your BIOS listed it can overclock QM up to 4 more multiplier, does that mean it is also possible to overclock with Core i7 3610QM? I have heard only Core i7 37xxQM and higher can be overclocked.

Also is the VBIOS Mod already integrated into your modded BIOS on filedropper link?
Does the GTX 660m VBIOS Mod fix the 540Mhz clockspeed Bug?

Hello,

I've recently installed your BIOS to my G46VW. Thsi is not the first modified BIOS that has been installed on this laptop, as I have had "KLEM'S" BIOS installed previous to this one. I have a couple of questions.

1. Klem's BIOS sets the base clock of the GPU to 1110. This was perfectly stable on my G46, but I was under the assumption that this BIOS (yours) would give me different functions. Your BIOS has the base clock set at 895, with turbo being 986. While this is fine, I wish to increase it via BIOS to the 1110 it had before, but without using software such as nVidiaInspector or Afterburner. If this is possible, what settings do I have to change to attain this clock? I cannot find anything concerning the GPU in the BIOS. So, far I have found that with your BIOS, I cannot exceed +130 on the GPU OC without a driver failure, or exceed 2700 on GPU memory without the same result. With Klem's BIOS I was able to achieve 1350mhz and 2900mhz ram (using a combination of the increased base clock in Klem's BIOS, and nVidiaInspector) and it was stable.

2. You also state that "QM" processors can be overclocked a bit. Would you care to elaborate on how this is done? Again, I cannot find where the FSB or multiplier settings are in the BIOS you have created.

3. Lastly, I have changed nearly every setting for the fan settings available (or that I can locate) within the bios so that it may attempt to manage a lower temperature. No matter what I change, the target remains 91C. It will not run the fans 100% until then. I have it set for 100% at 70C, but it will only run them at 50% until it hits 91C.

EDIT: To elaborate some, I have extensively modified my G46 with the following items and am saking these questions so that I may further optimize the items I have integrated into my system:

1. 1920 x 1080 120Hz monitor
2. i7-3630QM (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)
3. 16GB Corsair 1600 RAM (2x8GB)
4. BIOS mod (Klem's then yours)
5. Debloated Windows 10
6. Intel 7260AC ac/b/g/n wireless card
7. Crucial M4 128Gb MSATA SSD
8. Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD
9. GPU (GTX 660M) currently running at 1246Mhz/2700Mhz (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)

eightrac wrote:
Hello,

I've recently installed your BIOS to my G46VW. Thsi is not the first modified BIOS that has been installed on this laptop, as I have had "KLEM'S" BIOS installed previous to this one. I have a couple of questions.

1. Klem's BIOS sets the base clock of the GPU to 1110. This was perfectly stable on my G46, but I was under the assumption that this BIOS (yours) would give me different functions. Your BIOS has the base clock set at 895, with turbo being 986. While this is fine, I wish to increase it via BIOS to the 1110 it had before, but without using software such as nVidiaInspector or Afterburner. If this is possible, what settings do I have to change to attain this clock? I cannot find anything concerning the GPU in the BIOS. So, far I have found that with your BIOS, I cannot exceed +130 on the GPU OC without a driver failure, or exceed 2700 on GPU memory without the same result. With Klem's BIOS I was able to achieve 1350mhz and 2900mhz ram (using a combination of the increased base clock in Klem's BIOS, and nVidiaInspector) and it was stable.

2. You also state that "QM" processors can be overclocked a bit. Would you care to elaborate on how this is done? Again, I cannot find where the FSB or multiplier settings are in the BIOS you have created.

3. Lastly, I have changed nearly every setting for the fan settings available (or that I can locate) within the bios so that it may attempt to manage a lower temperature. No matter what I change, the target remains 91C. It will not run the fans 100% until then. I have it set for 100% at 70C, but it will only run them at 50% until it hits 91C.

EDIT: To elaborate some, I have extensively modified my G46 with the following items and am saking these questions so that I may further optimize the items I have integrated into my system:

1. 1920 x 1080 120Hz monitor
2. i7-3630QM (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)
3. 16GB Corsair 1600 RAM (2x8GB)
4. BIOS mod (Klem's then yours)
5. Debloated Windows 10
6. Intel 7260AC ac/b/g/n wireless card
7. Crucial M4 128Gb MSATA SSD
8. Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD
9. GPU (GTX 660M) currently running at 1246Mhz/2700Mhz (Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound applied)

1. Nvidia GPU settings can only be changed by software or modifying the module. I will be updating the VBIOS soon so hopefully this fixes any issues. I will possibly make two sets of bios downloads, one with a more stockish OC and the other to something you are looking for with a 1100MHZ boot OC for the GPU.

EDIT: To enable full features of VBIOS, Please make sure Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled and then enable CSM

2. CPU overclock is done in the "Advanced" ---> "CPU Configuration" ---> "1,2,3,4-Core Ratio Limit" (I have mine set to 40,39,38,38). You will also need to raise the current flow to the CPU to prevent premature throttling. "Advanced" ---> "CPU PPM Configuration" ---> Long Duration Power Limit 85, Long Duration Maintained 120, and Short Duration Power Limit 120.

3. Fans "Advanced" ---> "Thermal Configuration" ---> "Plaform Thermal Configuration" ---> "Active Trip Point 0" This only affects the CPU fan. The GPU fan can only be done by a hardware mod. I.E. running the wire to another power source.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

ModJPB wrote:
1. Nvidia GPU settings can only be changed by software or modifying the module. I will be updating the VBIOS soon so hopefully this fixes any issues. I will possibly make two sets of bios downloads, one with a more stockish OC and the other to something you are looking for with a 1100MHZ boot OC for the GPU.

EDIT: To enable full features of VBIOS, Please make sure Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled and then enable CSM

2. CPU overclock is done in the "Advanced" ---> "CPU Configuration" ---> "1,2,3,4-Core Ratio Limit" (I have mine set to 40,39,38,38). You will also need to raise the current flow to the CPU to prevent premature throttling. "Advanced" ---> "CPU PPM Configuration" ---> Long Duration Power Limit 85, Long Duration Maintained 120, and Short Duration Power Limit 120.

3. Fans "Advanced" ---> "Thermal Configuration" ---> "Plaform Thermal Configuration" ---> "Active Trip Point 0" This only affects the CPU fan. The GPU fan can only be done by a hardware mod. I.E. running the wire to another power source.

I can confirm some things for people who are interested.

1. CPU overclock does not work on QM processors. I've gone up to 5 steps in the core ratio limit and it has no change. I'm using a i7-3630QM.

2. Fan trip points also do not work. I've changed it to ambient temperature and they still follow the stock temp management scheme.

eightrac wrote:
I can confirm some things for people who are interested.

1. CPU overclock does not work on QM processors. I've gone up to 5 steps in the core ratio limit and it has no change. I'm using a i7-3630QM.

2. Fan trip points also do not work. I've changed it to ambient temperature and they still follow the stock temp management scheme.

1) Unfortunately the 3630QM processor is locked by intel and cannot be overclocked. The 3740QM and higher QM processors can have their boost multipliers raised by +4 multipliers. I have a 3840QM installed happily running +3 multiplier boost with the RAM at 1866MHz Cl8. ASUS has locked thier ME descriptor region so even a BCLK overclock is impossible unless an external programmer strapped to the BIOS chip itself is used.

2) You are correct about the fan. I guess I had some pseudo reaction to these settings. The fan control is built into the EC and cannot be adjusted (software). The settings on the Thermal page have no affect. 😞

Update V4: Currently comparing three different VBIOS to see what works best. Hopefully it will be posted soon.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

Meh.

Great job mate...now get on the g75vw ! :))