cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL with 1T HDD (No SSD), but will install SSD, how to go about cloning the HDD?

wpeters
Level 7
Hi,

This unit should be here this coming week via courier. I also needed an SSD and was initially going to leave the HDD in and pop in a 500G Samsung Pro NVMe M.2 but with the driver issue I'm now rethinking that I may buy a 1T Samsung EVO 850 Pro SATA III and replace the HDD.

The only issue is with the cloning. I'm not sure how to go about cloning the HDD to the new Samsung when I won't be able to hook up both at once. Anyone have any ideas without having to spend too much on new equipment.

Many thanks, W.
12 REPLIES 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
The standard drivers work fine for the 950 pro, its just a bit tricky getting the OS on it when you are not cloning a factory M2 SSD. I havent seen anyone clone the spinner to the SSD and be able to boot from it on this platform. I have seen, and have done myself, a clean install to the M2 SSD useing the UEFI boot guide in the stickies and loading the Intel RST drivers during the install.

If you decide to stay with SATA III and go for an SSD installed there you can clone it using a USB 3.0 to SSD adaptor. Takes a bit longer but it works just fine. I actually used the head end of an older Seagate external USB 3.0 drive when they were making them where it pulled off the end.

http://www.amazon.com/FINEX-Ultra-Device-Adapter-Converter/dp/B008BQ34ZS

What Ive used

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Great thanks for the reply, good info.

In terms of speed my understanding from reading this forum is that the speed of the SATA is compatible to the PCIe SSD.
My thoughts were to get the SATA now and the PCIe in 6-12 months by which time they may have sorted out the drivers issue
completely and the prices may drop a little. Only need one drive at the moment.

W.

wpeters wrote:
Great thanks for the reply, good info.

In terms of speed my understanding from reading this forum is that the speed of the SATA is compatible to the PCIe SSD.
My thoughts were to get the SATA now and the PCIe in 6-12 months by which time they may have sorted out the drivers issue
completely and the prices may drop a little. Only need one drive at the moment.

W.

SATA and PCIe are very different. On My machine the M2 is nearly 5 times faster in sequential read and 3 times faster in sequential write.

G752VY with PCIe M2 NVMe 950 pro using standard windows drivers that I have my OS on and a 1TB 850 EVO that I use for storage only. No Samsung Magician or drivers installed on this machine as they do not work.

950 Pro

850 EVO

One thing I would like to ask is if and when you decide to go with an M2 if you could try cloning the Spinner to the SSD. Everyone I know of has failed on the CM236 chipset, including myself. I tried everything under the sun and found the only way to do it was a clean install using the UEFI guide in the sticky and installing Intel RST drivers for the raid controller during the install. Without the drivers the the clean install wouldnt see the drive at all and cloning attempts only ended with failure to boot from the M2 SSD after. I did it purely as research trying to help others as it wasn't needed on my machine, it came with a 256GB SM951NVMe that cloned perfectly two different ways with Samsung data migration and Acronis True image. Many in your exact scenario are looking for a solution.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hi,
I'm new here and just got my new G752VL with only the 1tb HDD last week. I also purchased a 256mb Samsung 950 Pro m.2, installed it, booted into windows and then initialized it in disk management. I downloaded the Samsung Data Migration tool and used it to successfully clone my HDD to the 950 Pro m.2. I then shutdown the computer, removed the original HDD and restarted the computer with just the 950 Pro m.2 and it booted right into the desktop with no issues. Then I shutdown the computer and installed a new HGST 1tb 7200rpm HDD, booted back into Windows 10 initialized, and formatted the new HGST HDD.
I uninstalled the Asus ROG First, Asus Cloud, McAfee software, and installed all Windows 10 updates.

I also just ordered 16gb (2 8gb) of DDR4 2133 Kingston Value ram KVR21S15D8/8
I have to say that I'm very happy with my new G752VL.
Hope this helps.

cdma2k
Level 7
why not use asus backtracker, easy job

cdma2k wrote:
why not use asus backtracker, easy job

That would be a good option however the documentation says that Backtracker is compatible only with Windows 8/8.1, it's running Windows 10

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1008640/

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you had only the 1TB HDD and no SSD and cloned with Samsung Data Migration to the SSD with no drivers you are the first! Congratulations. Everyone else has failed.

JustinThyme wrote:
If you had only the 1TB HDD and no SSD and cloned with Samsung Data Migration to the SSD with no drivers you are the first! Congratulations. Everyone else has failed.

Yes I only had the stock 1tb HDD and then added the new Pro950 M.2, cloned the Windows 10 C: partition from the stock HDD to the Pro950 M.2 using Samsung Data Migration Ver.3. I had absolutely no issues booting up with the new Pro950 M.2 but the stock hard drive has been removed and put away incase I ever have to restore my machine to factory. Like I said, I purchased a new HGST 1tb 7200rpm HDD at Fry's for $75 and installed it for my storage drive. Windows installed the 10.0.10586.0 driver dated 6/21/2006 and I could not install the Samsung driver as well as use Samsung Magician like everyone else.

Now I did clone the HDD right after I did the basic Windows 10 setup out of the box and removed McAffee before cloning not sure if that matters or not. I did all of the Windows 10 updates after cloning.
I really like the Pro950 m.2, boots up quick and the machine is very snappy. I'm not a gamer but I purchased this machine because I wanted desktop power for Photoshop and the screen is great for photo editing.

wpeters
Level 7
FYI Yes this worked for me too. Was able to clone from HDD to SSD using the Samsung Data Migration saoftware.
W.