Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar phoebus EMI problem

jurian123
Level 7
SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I recently bought a xonar phoebus (which i regret at the moment 😞 )

I installed it in a free pci slot. Found out that this gaming soundcard has EMI problems in games.

My setup:
ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87
Intel Core I7 4790k
Asus strix 980ti
16 GB ddr3 corsair vengence memory.

So when i start up a game the only thing i hear is BZZZZ while the game sound is on 100. This is with every game.

The sound card is connected with a splitter 2 x 6+2 PCI. Can this cause more inteference?

What i have tried:
Reinstall the drivers multiple times (doesnt work)
Move the soundcard from middle slot to top slot above GPU (doesnt work)
Move the gpu down one slot (doesnt work)

Any idea what may cause this?

Please help other wise refund time and i dont want to do that. Looks very cool inside my case.
3 REPLIES 3

x7007
Level 7
jurian123 wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a xonar phoebus (which i regret at the moment 😞 )

I installed it in a free pci slot. Found out that this gaming soundcard has EMI problems in games.

My setup:
ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87
Intel Core I7 4790k
Asus strix 980ti
16 GB ddr3 corsair vengence memory.

So when i start up a game the only thing i hear is BZZZZ while the game sound is on 100. This is with every game.

The sound card is connected with a splitter 2 x 6+2 PCI. Can this cause more inteference?

What i have tried:
Reinstall the drivers multiple times (doesnt work)
Move the soundcard from middle slot to top slot above GPU (doesnt work)
Move the gpu down one slot (doesnt work)

Any idea what may cause this?

Please help otherwise refund time and i dont want to do that. Looks very cool inside my case.

Hi, Make sure the same power cable is not connected to other device like HDD or Fan, try to use single cable that is the furthest from all the other devices. if you can connected it using a direct power supply cable with no splitter. try different cable or just different connector from the psu.

PCIE slot won't make a difference in most cases so put wherever is comfortable.

Did it happen in a Fresh windows ? Did it happen in old windows 7 ? Did it started happened after you upgrade to other windows ?

Try to play with microphone disabled if you have one, or all other device disable which you don't use.

First we divide it from the windows installation from the hardware issues. we make a ground for the easy issues you can fix and single it out in 2 minutes to continue investigate after.

x7007 wrote:
Hi, Make sure the same power cable is not connected to other device like HDD or Fan, try to use single cable that is the furthest from all the other devices. if you can connected it using a direct power supply cable with no splitter. try different cable or just different connector from the psu.

PCIE slot won't make a difference in most cases so put wherever is comfortable.

Did it happen in a Fresh windows ? Did it happen in old windows 7 ? Did it started happened after you upgrade to other windows ?

Try to play with microphone disabled if you have one, or all other device disable which you don't use.

First we divide it from the windows installation from the hardware issues. we make a ground for the easy issues you can fix and single it out in 2 minutes to continue investigate after.

I have windows 10. I recently did a re install. I will try to get a calble that will run alone from the psu and not splitted. Microphone has the same problem. Its just EMI that is coming through the soundcard.

jurian123 wrote:
I have windows 10. I recently did a re install. I will try to get a calble that will run alone from the psu and not splitted. Microphone has the same problem. Its just EMI that is coming through the soundcard.

Mostly is the card`s bad design, mine buzzes like hell. If the onboard card had Dolby Home Theather app i would have sold this one long time ago. It`s one product that i have a buyer`s remorse.
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit