cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 DDR4 vs. DDR3 RAM Question

Jase53
Level 7
SO I just picked up a G752VT which contains 8GB of whatever generic DDR4 RAM (I believe it's clocked at 2133 MHz) they include in these notebooks. However, I've already got 32GB of DDR3-1600 CORSAIR Vengeance from my old laptop. I looked at various comparisons online and haven't seen a huge benefit from have DDR4 especially at the lower clock speed.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure I want to just go ahead and pull out the DDR4 modules and replace them with all the DDR3 modules since I'm pretty sure I won't see a huge performance difference, I'm not really worried about the extra power consumption, I don't plan on upgrading the RAM for a while, and I could actually use the increased amount of RAM.

Am I heading in the right direction, or is there something I missed between DDR4 RAM in general, or how well it works with the Skylake processors vs. DDR3?
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
Is it DDR3L? Has to be low voltage and you will see a decline in memory speed of the DDR3 as it will be running at 1.2V instead of the DDR3L of the 1.35. standard DDR3 Sodimm will not work and itel has warned it will possibly cook the skylake chipset if you try it. Bottom line is its risky to even try the DDR3L on whether or not it will work, DDR3 is not even going to make it through post and risk damage.

All the Corsair Sodimm kits I just looked at are NOT compatible, they are all 1.5V

You can get away with the DDR3 in a desktop environment if it will handle being undervolted. In the laptops however you cant undervolt it, there are ZERO settings in the BIOS for it.

I have 64GB of 2800Mhz PC4 22400 aariving wednesday. Ill post up in the thread already up about it if it works.

One of the biggest things about the entire skylake platform is decreased power consumption. Any performance improvement is negligible and even that is all dependant on who you ask. Some say the 4720 outperforms the 6700 by 1.5% and others reverse that. Either way, doesnt matter. One other thing is the 32GB memory limitation has been bumped again and is now double that. Again that doesnt mean much to most users and even I had to double think that one but went with the 64GB kit in the end as two things I use this machine for more than anything else is video and batch photo processing that have all been confirmed run much faster with the extra RAM. Not quite double but not for from it. Hmm, compile is 30 minutes or 17? Ill take the 17.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I was planning on trying to undervolting them via some BIOS modding, but yeah I got the same info about the Skylake processors and DDR3 from a friend I asked. Definitely not something one would want to do. Added to that after looking at more of the DDR4 RAM prices I managed to find a Kingston HyperX 2400 16GB kit for roughly 100, so 200 for a 32GB should keep me set. I'll be gaming as well as doing some content creation, would rather 64GB but finding or getting them shipped out of country is a b****. Idk though, I would like to see your post before I purchase the kit. BTW, I appreciate the fast response and the added info, thanks.

JustinThyme wrote:
Is it DDR3L? Has to be low voltage and you will see a decline in memory speed of the DDR3 as it will be running at 1.2V instead of the DDR3L of the 1.35. standard DDR3 Sodimm will not work and itel has warned it will possibly cook the skylake chipset if you try it. Bottom line is its risky to even try the DDR3L on whether or not it will work, DDR3 is not even going to make it through post and risk damage.

All the Corsair Sodimm kits I just looked at are NOT compatible, they are all 1.5V

You can get away with the DDR3 in a desktop environment if it will handle being undervolted. In the laptops however you cant undervolt it, there are ZERO settings in the BIOS for it.

I have 64GB of 2800Mhz PC4 22400 aariving wednesday. Ill post up in the thread already up about it if it works.

One of the biggest things about the entire skylake platform is decreased power consumption. Any performance improvement is negligible and even that is all dependant on who you ask. Some say the 4720 outperforms the 6700 by 1.5% and others reverse that. Either way, doesnt matter. One other thing is the 32GB memory limitation has been bumped again and is now double that. Again that doesnt mean much to most users and even I had to double think that one but went with the 64GB kit in the end as two things I use this machine for more than anything else is video and batch photo processing that have all been confirmed run much faster with the extra RAM. Not quite double but not for from it. Hmm, compile is 30 minutes or 17? Ill take the 17.

I 2nd this. the extra ram may not mean anything if you're doing one application at a time. But my abaility to batch process in photoshop + render in sony vegas + render in soundforge + keep multiple internet windows open + open another instance of ay of the above applications to start working on another project is pretty awesome and I'm guessing it is due to the 64gb of ram. If the latest G752 were just slightly smaller and about half the price, I'd say it is a near perfect multitasking machine. Ram is good.

I'm hoping to test graphics processing against a 8gb ram DESKTOP (but with a faster processer than the ROG) tomorrow. If the ROG is faster and more multitaskable I may ignore the RMA # I got today (yes, I'm still debating if it is worth keeping - size+price being pretty huge deterrents. Portability is key).

JustinThyme
Level 13
Good luck with you kit.
Ill be posting up how I faired with the 64GB Gskill kit probably Thursday or Friday. They wont arrive until Wednesday.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein