cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-CODE bF and memory sticks are not detected

Suwarb
Level 7
First of all thank you for advice and reading this,i know there is really lot of people with the same problem but i can not find a post that same problem.(sorry for my english):(

Specs :
Case: phanteks enthoo primo
Mob: R5E/U3.1( but i dont use add-on card U3.1)
Cpu:intel 5930k
Memory: corsair dominator 4x4 (3000mhz)
Gpu: titan x hybrid
Storage: intel 750 400gb(Windows bootdrive), m.2 Kingston hyperx 240 gb, samsung evo 500GB
psu: hx1000i and EVGA 850wG
Cpu cooling: EK Predator 360
Bios version: 1901

In the beginning was everything normal(September untill end october).The problem started actually end october of beginning november. When i power on and get error code bF. So i tried with one stick on A1,B1,C1 slots but still the problem occurs. Only in D1 slot system boot normaly. Then i tried many things but gives me no good result. So I thougt a diffrent solution . Boot with one stick and then enable xmp settings then shut down pc and fill A1,B1,C1,try boot to BIOS but then i get not 16GB,gettting 12GB or 8GB when i look at SPD information i see the memory stick but some information boxes are empty (GB,serie number,name of stick). I tried manually set to voltages but no result. In windows is another story, with AIDA64 or CPU-Z i see all of sticks but then is DUAL CHANNEL or sometimes TRIPLE. In windows task manager is sometimes 12GB and 8GB. It is my first build so i dont know where i screw up.:confused:

Things that i tried;

1.Loosing the cpu cooler screws
2.Fine tunning DRAM voltage untill 1.450v
3.Fine tunning System Agent voltage 0.800 untill 1.25V
4.Memtests (24 hour)
5.Bought diffirent memory sticks
6.C-MOS
7.Different BIOS updates
8.Yes 8 pin power en 4 pin power cables are connected.
9.CPU socket checked no bended pins or dirt in the socket
10.Inspected memory slots no dirt.
11.Try to boot out of case, on MOBO box.
12.Different power supplies.

One more time sorry for my english and thank you for your help guys.

Best regards,
Suwarb
10 REPLIES 10

Pleot
Level 8
Looks like a problem of undervoltage on the ram - try increasing dram voltage, with your ram brand i think you can go up t 1.4 volts and be safe but please check with the manufacturer specs to be sure

Defective ram maybe? can you try the ram on another pc?
If not could be motherboard or cpu

Menthol
Level 14
Have you cleared cmos and entered bios F5 optimized defaults and exit, is all the memory recognized at default speeds, if all memory is recognized at defaults then that rules out the memory slots and motherboard and we can start from there to identify any issues you may have
What bios version are you using? and your English is fine

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately, DDR4 3000 isn't plug-n-play on all CPUs. If manual tweaking is required, you can have a look at a simple guide linked in my signature.

Pleot wrote:
Looks like a problem of undervoltage on the ram - try increasing dram voltage, with your ram brand i think you can go up t 1.4 volts and be safe but please check with the manufacturer specs to be sure

Defective ram maybe? can you try the ram on another pc?
If not could be motherboard or cpu

Hey pleot,

i have unfortonetly dont have another motherboard.But if ram would be defect i bought first corsair vengeance lpx 3200 MHZ then i thought yeah is maybe defective so i bought corsair dominator 3000 mhz but still the same problem .. And i tried many times increasing dram voltage really up to 1.470 !!

Menthol wrote:
Have you cleared cmos and entered bios F5 optimized defaults and exit, is all the memory recognized at default speeds, if all memory is recognized at defaults then that rules out the memory slots and motherboard and we can start from there to identify any issues you may have
What bios version are you using? and your English is fine

hey menthol,

thanks for kind words,I am using 1902 but i had same issiue with 1502(that was the start,when i purchased the mobo) then 1701,1801 nouw 1902 and yes i tried many times cmos and defaults settings and exit but no result 😞 i think really that somethings wrong with memory slots. They dont wanna see my memory kits 😄 i heard somewhere in forum that m.2 port would be effect your memory slots even i removed kingston m.2 . the problem was still occurs.

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately, DDR4 3000 isn't plug-n-play on all CPUs. If manual tweaking is required, you can have a look at a simple guide linked in my signature.

Hey master Chino,

I readed your guides and your instruction many times and i am really thankfull about your help in this community but maybe you have right but i send this problem at same to ASUS tech support and they told me that send us the faulty product 😮 i was in shock then moment soo he is right now in RMA 😄 thank you so much your help but if they dont find something i am gonna do your instruction again and try it !

The mobo is right now in RMA process sooo i am gonna wait and find it,thank you so much for your helps and understanding!

regards,

suwarb

Pleot
Level 8
Great to know that, hope it solves the trouble, keep up posted...

dkevox
Level 7
Funny,

I have the same memory and get this same code occasionally. It only happens when I leave the computer asleep for several days. Eventually I go to turn it on and find it shut off. When it boots it hangs on "bf" code. Trying to reset it doesn't work.

But evenutaly realized if I just kill the power switch and turn it back on it boots just fine. It's probably happened to me 3-4 times in the past 4-5 months.

I'm going to try Chino's guide now. But it really hasn't been anywhere near enough of an issue for me to RMA the board. Just interesting to find someone else with the same. I'm using same cpu, ram, and my boot drive is a m.2.

JoseT
Level 7
Same mobo and CPU here, RAM G.Skill 3000mhz CL15, and also the same problem.

I started using a EK Supremacy EVO block to cool my CPU, and the problem ocurred just when playing with some CPU OC settings. Shuting down the PC and leave without AC for a minute seemed to resolve the problem.

But after that, I reseated the CPU and installed EK RVE Monoblock. Since then, the problems is always present in the A1 DIMM slot.

BIOS SPD utility shows partial information about that RAM module (all the info, except brand, capacity and bandwith). Other OS SPD utilities as CPU-Z show that all the four modules are present, but only the capacity of three of them, same as BIOS.

Tried to loose the monoblock screws, move the RAM modules, cleared CMOS, load optimized defaults, played with DRAM and system agent voltages... nothing do the trick.

Sometimes it doesn't boot and shows Q-Code BF, some of those times also the RAM boot led is ligthed. Sometimes it boots normally, with no led or Q-Code, (with XMP active) but without recognizing A1 module.

Maybe I have to reseat again the CPU, but deasembling all the rig with monoblock, GPUs and RAM watercooled and rigid tubing was something I was expecting to be the last option...

So, anybody has any other idea about what try to solve this problem?.

Thanks in advance.

drop4205
Level 12
Do as Menthol suggests. Keep all default and do not use xmp. Go down and put in memeory frequency and voltage for the ram, then go to the timings and manual input the primary timings and see what happens. You may have tried this already but not sure. Maybe check for bent pins at cpu mount also.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
Do as Menthol suggests. Keep all default and do not use xmp. Go down and put in memeory frequency and voltage for the ram, then go to the timings and manual input the primary timings and see what happens. You may have tried this already but not sure. Maybe check for bent pins at cpu mount also.

Yes, I've used all the default values.

When using only the EK Supremacy, before CPU reseating, it worked. Now, it does not. A1 module is not fully recognized even with default settings.

Now using default values seem to add some more chances to being unable to POST. Since CPU reseating and monoblock installing, XMP seems to be the fastest configuration for my system to reach POST and boot... even not recognizing A1 module.

I would like to avoid diassembling all the rigid tubing, RAM and GPUs blocks, taking the mobo out again and removing the monoblock for checking and reseating the CPU once again. I've read about debriss or bent pins causing this problem, but also about BIOS configurations, RAM modulle compatibilities and so many other causes, so I was wondering if it could be because of any reason that can be solved without taking apart the hole rig.

But don't know where else I can look for in my BIOS or if I've reached that point.