cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X550ZA RAM Increase - How do I increase RAM allocation for the APU's GPU?

Absolarix
Level 7
I have an ASUS X550ZA and have just added 4GB of RAM to its stock 8GB. With 12GB total, I would like to allocate 4GB to the GPU but have not found any way to change the setting fir that in the system's BIOS. I was wondering if there was any way that I could do this allocation without BIOS.

System:
ASUS X550ZA
CPU: AMD A10-7400P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
GPU: (As seen above (6 core GPU))
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1TB
1 REPLY 1

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Absolarix wrote:
I have an ASUS X550ZA and have just added 4GB of RAM to its stock 8GB. With 12GB total, I would like to allocate 4GB to the GPU but have not found any way to change the setting fir that in the system's BIOS. I was wondering if there was any way that I could do this allocation without BIOS.

System:
ASUS X550ZA
CPU: AMD A10-7400P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
GPU: (As seen above (6 core GPU))
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1TB

Hi,
I own a x550ze which is about the same specs and think i can help you out. First let me say these new APU's NGC x12 are mostly RAM Frequency based and not really based on how much you add. Sarting at 2133mhz the specs of your hybrid crossfire / APU will literally double.

No joke its almost a full 50% increase in performance and the heat your going to start to see might not be good, but anyways.

If your looking to dedicate all your memory towards the GPU, AMD has free software now called RAM Disk. This is not recommanded for these machines. Your not going to see a warning or anything and can use it.

I used to play Path of Exile a few years back and ran across many idea's around the subject AMD's solution is best. You will see all your memory get used. Your RAM WILL be locked from system use. This is very dangerous.

What it does is throw a new formatted partion into a SUPER HIGH Read Sate, like whats seen during a normal HDD format process, and the software dedicates the disk to the allocated RAM. You are looking at around 9-10 Gb's tops with this solution. You wont have special AMD RAM unless you purchase it, and to get passed the Free 6GB mark the 24Gb Gamer edition costs 13.99.us

Ypu will be able to allocate 4Gb no problem with the AMD Free version, If thats all the ram your wanting to use.

Hope this help, to answer the question No, other than what i mentioned, you would have to purchase a whole new Mainboard with fancy options like your describing and havnt heard of mobo's have that type of option since 2004 when players swore on there life they in fact had such a option but out of every mobo i ever purchased or seen i have never seen such a option