cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Formula

Nate152
Hello my good fellow ROG'ers

I just upgraded to the maximus viii formula and I love it, the 6700k and 16GB kingston hyperx predator ram (CL12 2400MHz). Everything is installed and running without a hitch. I did have a heck of a time activating windows 7 and then had a heck of a time upgrading to windows 10 but after about 7 hours it's finally done (sheeesh). The only thing I've done so far is overclock the ram and seems to be quite a nice kit as I'm able to overclock it to 3100MHz with 1.35v and timings 15-15-15-30-2T. I'm not an expert in overclocking ram but this looks pretty respectable to me what do you guys think?

I haven't overclocked the cpu yet and that will be next, I'm worried Intel may have sent me a not so good overclocker. I set the windows power plan to high performance and at 4200MHz the cpu is drawing 1.44v, on the bright side temps are great.

For those of you who have experience with the 6700k, I know on auto voltage it will get overvolted some but I was just wondering before I begin overclocking it, is it normal for the voltage to be that high on auto or did I possibly get a below average cpu. I haven't touched the BCLK but it looks to be running a little over 100.0

Thank you to all who answers.

Screenies

100 REPLIES 100

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
Congrats on the most awesome Z170 ROG board! I'd say that's a decent RAM OC alright! As for the performance plan an the auto overvolting the heck out of it; I'd set it back to balanced and get things started once you start overclocking, mainly because imho 1.4x is way too much!

As for installing and then upgrading the OS; why take the long route, plus risking upgrades messing up things? You could just download the OS from MS and use your 7 key to activate it and thus have a clean install (I did after finding the upgrade extremely unstable and problematic). A clean install is always better in my experience.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

ondersma80
Level 7
Congrats on the board... that's a nice one.

1.44 with no load is pretty high on the CPU. On auto with everything on defaults (I have the Hero Alpha and 6700k) mine draws 1.24 and drops to 1.20 under load. Make sure you update to the latest BIOS and recheck the defaults. If still that high, you might do a full clear of the CMOS too... battery out and button/jumper or whatever that thing has.

Nate152
Thanks guys !

I didn't realize you could do that, I thought you had to have windows 7 installed and fully updated before you could upgrade to windows 10.

One awesome thing I like about the maximus viii formula so far is the audio and sonic studio II, there are some nice adjustments/enhancements and this is the best my gamecom 380 headset ever sounded. 😄 I was just jamming in the sharing music thread of the forum.

I'll play with it when I start overclocking the cpu, this will give me more of an idea about the voltage. I hope I can hit 5.0GHz, wish me luck !

Menthol
Level 14
Nate, I can't remember if I ever left voltage on auto or entered a set voltage to see what mine would clock at for a certain voltage, my chip is far from a good CPU, right around 1.4 to 1.42 for 4.8GHZ, over 1.48 fro 4.9GHZ, to high to get to 5.0
I tried 4 CPU's to get this one so I think the 5.0 on air or water are few and far between but I hope you got one of 'em

Nate152
Hey Menthol !

Nope I sure didn't unless I need to tweak some other settings I got a pretty crappy 6700k. I been playing with it a little bit I could boot to windows at 4.8GHz. I was at 1.52v for 4.9GHz and couldn't make it to windows so I stopped there, I'm now at 4.7GHz with 1.43v. It figures I wouldn't win the cpu lottery, I can't even win a free ticket on a scratch off. 😄 Baaaah !

The bios settings are similar to the maximus V extreme with a few other options so I'm doing it just like before.

LLC to 4
CPU current capability 140% (the highest it goes)
TPU - keep current settings (this is a new one for me)

There were a couple other settings I changed too but nothing helped.

Any tips you might have are welcomed. 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
From personal experience the best advice I can give a person as yourself is ebay that CPU and try again, maybe bite the bullet and pick up a proven 4.8 CPU from Silicon lottery, I lost at least $400.00 and some time testing CPU's just to get the one I have, it doesn't do 5.0 but I can clock the cache the same speed as the cores and run memory up to at least 4000mhz

Well I think I'll just keep it, it's not worth the aggravation of selling it and getting another. It can boot to windows at 4.7GHz with 1.43v but to play any games it needs 1.46v. I'm not even going to run a stress test because I know it will need even more voltage. But it's ok, at 4.2GHz it feels faster than my 3770k at 5.0GHz. So while I may not have got a great cpu I'm still happy with it. 🙂

meankeys got the prize cpu, I'm jealous of you both. 😄

I'm going to get a camera Thursday so I should have some pics to show by Friday.

Stay tuned !

Nate152
Well I think I'll just keep it, it's not worth the aggravation of selling it and getting another. It can boot to windows at 4.7GHz with 1.43v but to play any games it needs 1.45v. I'm not even going to run a stress test because I know it will need even more voltage. But it's ok, at 4.2GHz it feels faster than my 3770k at 5.0GHz. So while I may not have got a great cpu I'm still happy with it. 🙂

meankeys got the prize cpu, I'm jealous. 😄

I'm going to get a camera Thursday so I should have some pics to show by Friday.

Stay tuned !

Nate152
Here are a few pics of the maximus viii formula and the RGB Lighting, I only did a couple colors but it can do any color of the rainbow with a turn of a dial in the Aura software. The M8F also has an RGB header that supports 5050 RGB LED strips and is controlled in the Aura software too.