cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

751JY Temperature rise by 10 degrees for no apparent reason :( :( solved?

bhaviljain68
Level 7
Hey Guys,

So the idle temps used to be around 36-38 when i would do absolutely nothing on my laptop, now they are around 46-50.

And the same is happening while gaming as well... I've never reached the temps that I'm getting lately. upto 95~.

And i know that they are somewhat OK... the problem is that there has been no change in the environment in which i use my laptop.
No new apps or anything... its like suddenly it decided to be angry or something.. 😕 :/..

is there any way to find out what is causing this??
i checked out hardware monitor and things seem alright there also.
I cleaned the rear vents by blowing air from an air blower.
Any other idea?

I have a 751JY with i7 4710hq.
14 REPLIES 14

warryabel
Level 7
are you a heavy user who transport their equipment often? i only move my rog from living to sleepingroom! sometimes those issues are physically happend by bad soldering or other things... earlier i had a laptop, who has bad southbridgeconnection and problems begin and end with death...lol

uprisetv
Level 7
out of the box my g752 has idle temps of 48. Just surfing the internet gets up to 65. I have no idea if that's normal. Vapor Cooling and all, but still high - even though it doesn't feel warm.

uprisetv wrote:
out of the box my g752 has idle temps of 48. Just surfing the internet gets up to 65. I have no idea if that's normal. Vapor Cooling and all, but still high - even though it doesn't feel warm.

Same here with my 752, I'm hovering around 48-50c while idle... I'm seriously hoping that it is indeed normal because my OCD makes me feel like something's wrong with it.. And I know it's not the environment because I'm in a rather nippy room.

warryabel
Level 7
on idle the g751 jt is on 40c on 20c enviroment. over 41 the fan kicks in and cool down in 15 seconds to 39c....on browsing the gpu is on 39c and cpu is mostly 41c-42c. i would wonder if this temps are nomal for your new rig!

thetanaz
Level 7
Usually this is caused by bad thermal pasting on the gpu/cpu blocks.I too have drawn the short end of the straw and have a poorly pasted unit
(G751JY).On Idle I get 48-51C and at full load triple A game for an hour I have seen it shoot up to 90C.But it has never throttled as of yet.I am planning to repaste it in a couple of days because if I give it to ASUS they will most likely lie to me and I'll get it back in a month.
Here is an user with a similar problem.You can see how terribly the paste is applied.
The cooling system itself with the copper pipes is fluent and super efficient but if your paste is bad you simply can't transfer the heat from the chip to the heatsink.

Very informative. Have been looking for an article with pictures like this. I've learned a bad paste job check is last resort for high temps issues... But if the unit is already out of warranty then you mite as well open er up and see what you can see. Very sad that need a 2,000 dollar unit could have such a terrible issue...

bhaviljain68
Level 7
Thankyou everyone for your inputs.. I really Appreciate it.

I got my thermal pasting changed by an IT guy i've known for over 10 years... so i do not doubt his work.

But my problem still persists... i have bad temps.

Some info:

I'm form India and my friend told me that the commonly used brand of thermal pasting is 3M.. the one which is used by default in intel processors.
And that if i want some other brand then he would have to order it specially and get it for me.

So my question is.. is it required? would other brands/quality make a difference? if yes.. then which one should i get?
The one i got costed about 350 INR.. that is roughly 5 US$. and others would be costlier.

Julskey
Level 10
bhaviljain68 wrote:
Hey Guys,

So the idle temps used to be around 36-38 when i would do absolutely nothing on my laptop, now they are around 46-50.

And the same is happening while gaming as well... I've never reached the temps that I'm getting lately. upto 95~.

And i know that they are somewhat OK... the problem is that there has been no change in the environment in which i use my laptop.
No new apps or anything... its like suddenly it decided to be angry or something.. 😕 :/..

is there any way to find out what is causing this??
i checked out hardware monitor and things seem alright there also.
I cleaned the rear vents by blowing air from an air blower.
Any other idea?

I have a 751JY with i7 4710hq.

A lot of factors can cause that. Ambient temps, clogged vents, insufficient heat transfer to heat sinks, etc.

Julskey wrote:
A lot of factors can cause that. Ambient temps, clogged vents, insufficient heat transfer to heat sinks, etc.

Hey Mate,

The factors you mentioned, I've already checked into. the ambient temps have not changed... I cleared the vents myself... and i got the thermal pasting changed so i believe the heat transfer to the heat sink should not be an issue as well....

any other Ideas?