cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Vcore on OC

IIIdefconIII
Level 7
Hi all, hererby my setup and oc. I used 5 way optimazation, but im very unsure about the Vcore seems too high, when i set less voltage the cpu will go unstable. Also with this temps i should reach x48, right? But on x48 always unstable.

Please help me or advice...

[OS]
Windows 10 x64 Pro N

[SYSTEM]
Asus Maximus Ranger VIII 1151 €194,-
Skylake i7 6700K 4Ghz €399,-
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX XMP 16GB DDR4-3000CL 15 17-17-315 €230,-

[STORAGE]
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD €170,-
2 x WD RED 2TB JBOD €184
1 x WD GREEN 2TB JBOD €78
1 x WD GREEN 1TB JBOD €55

[GRAPHICS]
MSI GTX980 6GB Ti Gaming €759,-
BenQ XL2720Z @ 144hz €479,-

[CASE/MOD]
2 x NZXT RF-FN122 1200m, 21dB €8,-
Corsair Obsidian 900D €380,-
Corsair RM1000i €204,-
CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - BLACK / RED €100,-

[GADGETS]
Roccat Apuri Active USB hub with mouse bungee €45,-
Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller €35,-
Arozzi Torretta Gaming Chair €219,-

[I/O]
Steelseries Apex 350 Gaming Keyboard €109,-
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Gaming Mouse €65
Steelseries QcK+ - Pro Gaming Mousepad €17,-
Turtle Beach Ear Force PX22 €69,-

[NETWORK]
Netgear NightHawk €160,-
All Cat 6A cables.

[SOON]
Watercooling red (nog te kiezen welk systeem)
Logitech Speaker System Z623 €179,-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Overclock]
Noctua NH-D14 €63,-
Thermal Paste Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminium €6,- (approx. 10 degrees better then Artic Silver 5)

Fully tested with both Prime95 and MSI Afterburner running the same time for 4+ hours.
http://valid.x86.fr/atkntw

CPU
Auto Clocked with Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization
Multiplier: 100.0 x 47 = [highlight=#6cdd23]4.7 Ghz[/highlight] @ 64°C max. spike @ 72°C
[highlight=#dd2423]VID 1.381[/highlight] HWMonitor ([highlight=#dd2423]AISUITE says 1.52V[/highlight])

RAM
XMP DDR4-3000 CL 15 15-15-15-35T @ [highlight=#6cdd23]2933Mhz[/highlight]

GPU
MSI GTX 980 6GB Ti Gaming with MSI Afterburner
+140 Core Clock = [highlight=#6cdd23]1506Mhz[/highlight] @ 54°C max. spike @ 56°C
+500 Memory = Clock [highlight=#6cdd23]4001Mhz[/highlight]

So far no Coil wining in either psu and gpu, but little bit worried about voltage.

9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello IIIdefconIII

Your 6700k looks identical to mine I need 1.46v for 4.7GHz and is showing exactly the same as yours 1.472v. 🙂

Nate152
Hello IIIdefconIII, welcome to the ROG forum.

Your 6700k looks identical to mine I need 1.46v for 4.7GHz and is showing exactly the same as yours 1.472v. 🙂

Max temps in real temp are after 1 hour of playing far cry 4.

Click the picture a few times to make it bigger so you can read it.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello IIIdefconIII, welcome to the ROG forum.

What setting you used? also 5 click optimazation? or custom bios setting by hand? icannot run lower then 1.52 that shows in the ai suite
i think this is to much voltage right?

And how the hell did you managed 27 degrees? wasnt stress testing while making the screenshot?

Nate152
LOL no the cpu was at idle when I took the screen shot. If you notice in realtemp the cpu is not under load. I have not stress tested my 6700k because I know it will need more voltage but it has played every game I've tried so far with these settings.

I use manual/custom bios settings, I don't have ai suite installed and I use cpu-z to show the voltage.

I didn't have to change many settings

Extreme Tweaker:

Multiplier 47
Vcore 1.460 (but draws 1.472)

DIGI+:

LLC - 4 (I may try lowering this to see if it stays closer to 1.46v)
cpu current capability - 140%
Power phase response - ultra fast

That's about all I changed in the bios. I would close AI suite and trust what cpu-z says.

Chino
Level 15
If your overclock is unstable when setting a voltage lower than what the 5-Way Optimization used, then you probably do need that much voltage to achieve stability. 1.472V is a big too high for my taste. I'd recommend you lower your multiplier a few notches.

Chino wrote:
If your overclock is unstable when setting a voltage lower than what the 5-Way Optimization used, then you probably do need that much voltage to achieve stability. 1.472V is a big too high for my taste. I'd recommend you lower your multiplier a few notches.

Can this damage my cpu? cause the temps looks good

The nice thing about 5 way optimization is that it does give you control over the auto overclock process.

If you aren't happy with the voltage, if it seems a bit higher than you would like, then you can set a voltage maximum.the auto overclock won't overclock above that voltage. the frequency will be lower of course.

Likewise if you don't like the temperature you can set a limit there too.

I recall that Asus and Intel recommend a max voltage for the 6700K of 1.45 volts. 5 way optimization shouldn't allow you to exceed a safe voltage. Personal choice though, as I say, if you aren't happy you can set a limit. Just enter the max voltage you are happy with in 5 way optimization and it won't exceed that.

All CPU's are different. It's down to the silicone lottery I'm afraid. 4.6 - 4.8 is a reasonable expectation. And don't worry about a few hundred megahertz, if all your CPU can handle is 4.7 or 4.6 at a safe voltage and temp, then so be it. A few hundred megahertz makes very little diference in terms of frame rate in your games. You won't notice it.

quark54 wrote:
The nice thing about 5 way optimization is that it does give you control over the auto overclock process.

If you aren't happy with the voltage, if it seems a bit higher than you would like, then you can set a voltage maximum.the auto overclock won't overclock above that voltage. the frequency will be lower of course.

Likewise if you don't like the temperature you can set a limit there too.

I recall that Asus and Intel recommend a max voltage for the 6700K of 1.45 volts. 5 way optimization shouldn't allow you to exceed a safe voltage. Personal choice though, as I say, if you aren't happy you can set a limit. Just enter the max voltage you are happy with in 5 way optimization and it won't exceed that.

All CPU's are different. It's down to the silicone lottery I'm afraid. 4.6 - 4.8 is a reasonable expectation. And don't worry about a few hundred megahertz, if all your CPU can handle is 4.7 or 4.6 at a safe voltage and temp, then so be it. A few hundred megahertz makes very little diference in terms of frame rate in your games. You won't notice it.

Thanks for the notice, i think i will stay like this, one week now still stable no problems, and if something goos wrong, i think its asus to blame the auto overclock util that put too much volts in there, so considering if i was a noob user, they allouw us to overclock that simple.. right

quark54
Level 8
And just to mention, you can buy thr Intel Performance Tuning Plan, Its dirt cheap. About £25. If you mess up your CPU overclocking (very unlikely) Intel will se d you a new CPU.