cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT-T7172H, which version of Thunderbolt?

TheSwede86
Level 7
Hi!

I have the option of buying the G751JT-T7172H for a great price (around 13,000 SEK which is around 1,530 USD but I really want a laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 to futureproof it for external graphics that might be coming out this year.
On the specification page it lists "Thunderbolt" but not which version of Thunderbolt, does this laptop have Thunderbolt 3?

Best Regards - Karl, Sweden
5 REPLIES 5

bobcat95
Level 7
I seem to be having the same problem with my G750JW-BBI7N05. I have not been able to locate through Asus support or the internet on what version of thunderbolt I have. If you find out anything please let me know!

thetanaz
Level 7
It is Thunderbolt 2.1.I have specifically taken it to Displayport when I wanted to buy a 4k monitor and they told me that the technology rolls around with what's available as far as products to connect to it.Thunderbolt 3 is the new standard as of this year but all G751's are 2.1

BVr77
Level 7
not hard to find: it's TB1
there's no TB2 in Asus Laptop
752 have TB3 through USB3.1-C

BVr77 wrote:
not hard to find: it's TB1
there's no TB2 in Asus Laptop
752 have TB3 through USB3.1-C

Well it was hard to find for me since all the retailers who sold it here in Sweden only listed it as "Thunderbolt".
But then as you said I checked out the Wikipedia entry for "Thunderbolt" and saw that Thunderbolt 3 seems to be through a USB 3.1 Type-C combo-port while the others seem to go through Mini-Displayport.

Thank you guys for all your answers, have to wait until the newer model gets cheaper since I want the option to use external graphics.

noobita
Level 7
It's Thunderbolt 2 ...Its safer to say even the G752 may/may not support a Gaming dock as some of them required 2 USB type-C as seen in CES 2016 .I think asus will release some ultrabooks compatible to the dock like the razer did.