View Poll Results: Are you interested in the G-SYNC upgrade program?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in the Americas

76 32.90%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in EMEA

109 47.19%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in APAC

15 6.49%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in another region (reply to post with your country)

31 13.42%
Page 63 of 138 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

hardwaremodule in laptop is nonsense...you know? the only thing they could perform is to manipulate the resistor who is correspondending with hwid.
    gsync module...lol a forum full of experts but nobody can read

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by warryabel View Post
    hardwaremodule in laptop is nonsense...you know? the only thing they could perform is to manipulate the resistor who is correspondending with hwid.
    gsync module...lol a forum full of experts but nobody can read
    warryabel, you are right. It has been shown at the web the tear down of G715 with G-sync and without it... NO visible difference. No extra module. So xeormist please stop writing this... also it has been proven that G-sync is working with hacked drivers without ANY hardware mod to G751... so please, again...

Also I know that G-Sync is Nvidia IP and they can do with it what thay want.... But please do not say rubbish. Just please behave like Bahz is doing... 'no farther comments' I will understand it.

BTW- ASUS thank you for the retrofit program... I will take it. It is cheap if MB is replaced... it is VERY expenisve if it is NOT replaced. Still I will take it.
    Last edited by Sanctrum; 03-11-2016 at 07:46 PM.

im not veryable bur warryabel

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Sorry, fixed.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    It is a G-Sync control module. As Julskey mentioned, the same module is found in G-Sync monitors. Officially Nvidia says that the hardware module is superior to any software implementation. So while yes it could be implemented in software and there was a driver that made it work, Nvidia says the experience is not up to their standards. Whether you believe Nvidia or not is up to you but they are not currently licensing a software version. The only way to have legally licensed G-Sync is with a hardware module. ASUS cannot do it with software because that would violate the license they have with Nvidia.
    I can't stand this anymore, because again this is going to be on me. There is not module implemented inside the Laptop, NVIDIA is a member
    of the VESA Standards, NVIDIA have access to Adaptive-sync like AMD or even ASUS (it is a standard functionality since while, first time implemented in2008 eDP and came later on DP revision, actually it was already before but it was working differently) instead of doing like AMD/Freesync, NVIDIA thinkthat It would be a better idea to add handshake layer inside the kernel drivers (for licensing purpose, that include module and extended firmware interface), NVIDIA Drivers include the G-sync Engine (routine) that control the way how G-sync work. Module on Monitor was maintained because it was the only way to control the sales of their software engine, G-sync module can be seen as a custom scaler that come fit on your panel controller, but their isno need, because most of the panel controller since while are able to do the exact same work but because G-sync module is made for Geforce, it is easy to work this way.

There is not need to add a G-sync module inside a laptop, because the GPU is wired to your Panel, easy to implement a software engine that control your panel if this one support Adaptive-sync.

Hardware module is not superior, there is a limitation due to extra work needed while doing the transmission data from the GPU to the Panel, instead of doing Data GPU to Panel.

ASUS can do it with software because they are also member of VESA, no one stop them to include third party support of Adaptive-Sync on their own.
    Hardware module doesn't work without software implementation because it need the G-sync engine (Kernel Drivers) to gain control in Windows Kernel (that include kernel subsystem) also the way to deal with TCON Controller that come with the LG Philips panel inside the Asus ROG.

Let's not forget that NVIDIA implement a defined usage of the TCON Controller inside the drivers (they know exactly which one to implement) NVIDIA use VRR protocol and this is informed by their own Kernel Drivers. (NVIDIA Drivers include TCON revision/Panel), UEFI include general license (Cookie), G-sync engine include handshake layer.

Experience is always up to the NVIDIA standard, they anyway often implement other work, one of the reason why they often rush so much bugging driver, because they had no control of those implementation and how to deal with. Reason why Intel rather prefer put their trust on Freesync than G-sync.

Freesync work even better with their new rate range integration. Module can be ignored using alternative or controller.

Let's quote the NVIDIA G-sync patent

The graphics subsystem 107 includes a graphics processing unit (GPU) 120, a local memory 130, a display software/monitor interface (DSI/DMI) 140, and a display controller 150. The GPU 120 executes instructions received from the CPU 101 to render graphics data into images and stores such images in the local memory 130. In particular, a rendering engine 122 inside the GPU 120 generates and stores multiple image surfaces in a frame buffer 132 within the local memory 130. The DSI/DMI 140 is a link interface through which the display controller 150 communicates with the frame buffer 132 and device drivers. The display controller 150 accesses the frame buffer 132 through the DSI/DMI 140 at a specified rate to retrieve and merge the various image surfaces to present on the display device 109 for display. A frame compositor 160 within the display controller 150
    The system memory 103 may include multiple application programs 110, a GPU driver 112, and a display driver 114. One application program 110 may invoke one or more instances of high-level shader programs that are designed to operate on the rendering engine 122 within the GPU 120. These high-level shader programs may be translated into executable program objects by a compiler or assembler included in the GPU driver 112 or alternatively by an offline compiler or assembler operating either on the computer system 100 or other computer systems. The display driver 114 causes the display controller 150 to access multiple image surfaces from the frame buffer 132 and compose display frames for presentation on the display device 109. In order to control the refresh rate of the display device 109, in one implementation, the display driver 114 also determines a display mode for the display device 109 based on certain information tracked by the frame compositor 160
    Here we go.

The module = software engine implementation, it was mainly an excuse to boost sales and make profit in general. Over a open source technology.
    They are currently licensing a software/service not the module. They just implemented on their own Adaptive-sync to fit their business expectation.

This is not speculation, this is fact and the only reason now I do this intervention is it because, company or people will call me a lier (start to be a little tired of this) about how the G-sync really work on laptop or even desktop.

If this doesn't impact your life, mine was impacted by false informations provided by one of Asus/NVIDIA worker. I won't comment more about that but next time, be honest with the users. If NVIDIA simply say ask the users that if they are ok to implement G-sync in exchange of a license fee, maybe think will be different but now this is still going too far and this misinformation impact on my own work. Thank you

I also let Aorus know to be careful with a license that was not destined to their series.

I will also quote this beautiful part.

some models might already meet the requirement prior to the release of G-SYNC, so all they need is a updated driver.

Also keep in mind that that will not be the case for every model of every brand. Its like apples and oranges.

@Ciccio80 in your case the Asus G751JY does officially support G-SYNC, therefore the hardware/software requirements for G-SYNC was already present, just not prevalent at the time.

Thanks!

Michael Wingate
    Aorus Gaming
    Funny that come from Aorus aka Gigabyte.

I don't want to launch a war but next time, I won't be so kind because when this attack my personal life, think turn into something else and I didn't appreciate the way that one of the Asus work spread lie informations around hardware media and co, saying I was working for Asus.

Past is the past but look like this is back and do a negative impact, I was ready to put that on side since while but unfortunately, I need to make a clear statement about what happen.
    Last edited by nab; 03-11-2016 at 08:03 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Nab,

I'll send you 100 Eu if you make the software to enable GSYNC on G751JY. Since I am definitely not sending mine in due to custom mods.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by arrtaas View Post
    Nab,

I'll send you 100 Eu if you make the software to enable GSYNC on G751JY. Since I am definitely not sending mine in due to custom mods.
    I don't want your money and I won't do it, you should use the official solution, because NVIDIA can block anytime alternative one by adding more security to the kernel drivers, it would make their drivers become worst and worst, this will impact general use (more people will complain about why new driver doesn't work good) and I don't support what they call their (technology).

But you can still use Rog Spark with V-sync on.

with the 50 from biosmods this are 150 bucks...cmon nab i put an 0 on end. lol

ROG Enthusiast Array

As I cannot be left without the laptop for even a single day (it's my work station for daily usage), would a G-Sync monitor actively do the same thing in terms of effect? Would it make sense to invest into a G sync monitor?

Besides, I bought the laptop in another country, and currently live too far from the original place to even consider this option.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by nab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    It is a G-Sync control module. As Julskey mentioned, the same module is found in G-Sync monitors. Officially Nvidia says that the hardware module is superior to any software implementation. So while yes it could be implemented in software and there was a driver that made it work, Nvidia says the experience is not up to their standards. Whether you believe Nvidia or not is up to you but they are not currently licensing a software version. The only way to have legally licensed G-Sync is with a hardware module. ASUS cannot do it with software because that would violate the license they have with Nvidia.
    I can't stand this anymore, because again this is going to be on me. There is not module implemented inside the Laptop
    . . .
    There is not need to add a G-sync module inside a laptop, because the GPU is wired to your Panel, easy to implement a software engine that control your panel if this one support Adaptive-sync.

Hardware module is not superior, there is a limitation due to extra work needed while doing the transmission data from the GPU to the Panel, instead of doing Data GPU to Panel.

ASUS can do it with software because they are also member of VESA, no one stop them to include third party support of Adaptive-Sync on their own.
    . . .
    Sorry if I was unclear. You misunderstand me. I made no judgment on whether a module is or should be necessary, or regarding its ultimate purpose. I only repeated Nvidia's reasons and left it up to the reader as to whether to believe them. I don't work for Nvidia or ASUS so I have no special knowledge. It could be the modern equivalent of a dongle for all I know.

What I know is that Nvidia will only license specific hardware. Their drivers are looking for hardware and won't run G-Sync unless it matches. diogogmaio's motherboard was replaced so perhaps ASUS is adding a module. Otherwise why bother? Maybe it's actually a GPU update with authorized hardware. Doesn't really matter since the upgrade is not offered for self-service.

Yes ASUS *could* implement FreeSync or something that implements adaptive sync. It's also likely that doing so to cut Nvidia out would harm the relationship between the two companies and might violate a prior contractual obligation. You honestly think that if ASUS implemented adaptive sync on Nvidia GPUs that Nvidia would do nothing?

Also, if you guys want to have a discussion about the politics of G-Sync I'd be happy to split the relevant comments to another thread. This thread is about the upgrade program logistics so this conversation should never have started here.
    Last edited by xeromist; 03-12-2016 at 12:47 AM.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 63 of 138 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 ... LastLast