View Poll Results: Are you interested in the G-SYNC upgrade program?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in the Americas

76 32.90%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in EMEA

109 47.19%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in APAC

15 6.49%
  • Yes I’m interested and I live in another region (reply to post with your country)

31 13.42%
Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctrum View Post
    General question. Is it possible to send the unit without any SDD/HDD ???

A hardware, firmware and software retrofit are necessary for your laptop to support G-SYNC.

Again, another reason I take the original drive and put it away. When times like this arise, simply remove one and install the other in less than 2 minutes.

I would contact them directly using the provided customer support link. Nothing would suck worse than sending it with no drive then getting it send back not completed so you are now out shipping costs and still dont have the upgrade.

reading some of these other posts.........Im certain now more than ever that some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about. Should be ecstatic with all the crying thats been going on. Now they make it available and people are crying because it took too long or that they have to pay for it. Its business, pure and simple. You think this is bad? The company I work for sells UPS systems that come in different platforms and the price varies by purchased kVA. All the same machine as its just easier to make them that way and not have to stock parts for every step in the level of power wanted. So customer buys 225kVa machine then later wants to updgrade to its maximum capacity which on that platform is 500kVa. The 225 kVA cost you $80K when you bought it. The upgrade is going to cost you $40K. They go through the PITA changing wire sizes to and from then I walk in with a laptop and connect with proprietary software and inside of 5 minutes Im done, they just went to 500kVA with a change in a software setting! Thank you very much, that will be $40K!

Don't know how involved this is, I'm not an ASUS employee nor do I work in their engineering dept. I'm betting there is more than meets the eye and it requires hardware in the display. I don't see the cost as unreasonable, costs them this much just to administer the change and probably all they are looking for is to offset that cost. My bet is there are fewer than 500 people globally that actually get this done perhaps even far less than that. I say kudos to ASUS for even bothering to take the time to backtrack and offer an upgrade. Its not like that if G sync never existed that people wouldnt find something else to complain about.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    A hardware, firmware and software retrofit are necessary for your laptop to support G-SYNC.

Again, another reason I take the original drive and put it away. When times like this arise, simply remove one and install the other in less than 2 minutes.

I would contact them directly using the provided customer support link. Nothing would suck worse than sending it with no drive then getting it send back not completed so you are now out shipping costs and still dont have the upgrade.

reading some of these other posts.........Im certain now more than ever that some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about. Should be ecstatic with all the crying thats been going on. Now they make it available and people are crying because it took too long or that they have to pay for it. Its business, pure and simple. You think this is bad? The company I work for sells UPS systems that come in different platforms and the price varies by purchased kVA. All the same machine as its just easier to make them that way and not have to stock parts for every step in the level of power wanted. So customer buys 225kVa machine then later wants to updgrade to its maximum capacity which on that platform is 500kVa. The 225 kVA cost you $80K when you bought it. The upgrade is going to cost you $40K. They go through the PITA changing wire sizes to and from then I walk in with a laptop and connect with proprietary software and inside of 5 minutes Im done, they just went to 500kVA with a change in a software setting! Thank you very much, that will be $40K!

Don't know how involved this is, I'm not an ASUS employee nor do I work in their engineering dept. I'm betting there is more than meets the eye and it requires hardware in the display. I don't see the cost as unreasonable, costs them this much just to administer the change and probably all they are looking for is to offset that cost. My bet is there are fewer than 500 people globally that actually get this done perhaps even far less than that. I say kudos to ASUS for even bothering to take the time to backtrack and offer an upgrade. Its not like that if G sync never existed that people wouldnt find something else to complain about.
    +1
    I don't think anyone can word this any better.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoStorm View Post
    Just provide the forum link to them and say it's an official statement, they need to figure it themselves. Not the first time when there's some type of upgrade program and a representative who didn't pay attention to something new and tell customers there's no such thing. However, it does say begins on Feb 1.
    Yes that was my reply to the mail and now i got a new one from them.
    something tells me this is gone takea while for a official positive anwser

last reply from them

"Hello,

I think you should read it all, that's a vote poll, as it says you should sign up for it if intrested.

Med vänliga hälsningar / Best Regards,

Mattias. L
    "

New ROGer Array

How come I'm not allowed to vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by wmaker View Post
    Yes that was my reply to the mail and now i got a new one from them.
    something tells me this is gone takea while for a official positive anwser

last reply from them

"Hello,

I think you should read it all, that's a vote poll, as it says you should sign up for it if intrested.

Med vänliga hälsningar / Best Regards,

Mattias. L
    "
    Obviously, this guy not going to admit he's wrong. Before you know it he'll contact you and say so now the program has begun please confirm again your info etc... and pretend he didn't say that there wasn't such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by palooh View Post
    How come I'm not allowed to vote ?
    It's probably because you have a new account and you probably need to post like 5 or 10 posts? It's like that for a lot of other vBulletin forums, but I'm not sure if it's 5 or 10 (depends on what they have set it to).

ROG Member Array

Obviously, this guy not going to admit he's wrong. Before you know it he'll contact you and say so now the program has begun please confirm again your info etc... and pretend he didn't say that there wasn't such a thing.
    if the next reply is like the previous two, just gone tell him to escalate it to a supervisor nothing else i can do imo.

Btw anyone got a positive awnser from them already??
    would be nice for all of us to have a screenshot of a positive anwser so we can use in case more ppl get support guy like im getting.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    We will see.
    I believe that as discussed hundreds of times, we need:
    1. Proper video card HW id (probably hardware coded).
    2. Proper vbios (changed to have the Nvidia licence G-sync cookie... but at the memory area that is normally not altered by any standard BIOS update).
    3. Proper CPU model (probably but maybe not longer valid).
    4. Proper NVidia drivers (I believe the standard ones=the latest)…
    5. Display panel verified (to support 75Hz or 100Hz)? We know it’s working at 100Hz.

Points 1, 2, 3… are in my best believe ONLY the artificial security protection of Nvidia G-Sync IP implemented in their drivers (4) blocking the possibility to hack it the way it was done before. So that is why Asus decided to “retrofit”… instead of fighting with Nvidia to disable their IP protections. However, it does NOT mean that Asus had not prepared any agreement with Nvidia that is simplifying the upgrade procedure loosing up some protections… and make it just vbios upgradable… (no MB changed). We will see.

But again, IMHO (regardless HOW it would be done) it is the best solution for us… as everyone are happy (ASUS, Nvidia, customers – except those how wanted it for free). Good work ASUS! Hope the word would spread… AND THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY UPGRADE our units for approx. US$99… as it might be looong way from the upgrade request till it is actually done…
    I will sing up as soon I will find my unit’s serial number to register…

Once again good work ASUS… and keep us INFORMED!
    Last edited by Sanctrum; 01-29-2016 at 03:35 PM.

People need to understand that this technology is owned and patented by Nvidia, so it means they (Asus) can't just go behind their backs and find a way to hack it and make all the stars align so it works for their customers. By doing this they will probably get sued for billions of dollars. If it's as simple as just a BIOS update then all the geniuses out there should have long figured out a way to do it. Obviously there is more to it and there's some mechanism from Nvidia that's preventing anything without proper license key/ID/IP (whatever you want to call it) to work properly with their drivers.
    Last edited by InfernoStorm; 01-29-2016 at 03:55 PM.

New ROGer Array

It's probably because you have a new account and you probably need to post like 5 or 10 posts? It's like that for a lot of other vBulletin forums, but I'm not sure if it's 5 or 10 (depends on what they have set it to).
    Thanks, I suppose I will spam some threads then, starting with this one

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast