cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about G752VY-RH71

Ybekar
Level 7
Hello guyz

First of all, I would thank you in advance for taking your time to answer me. I'm a little bit newbie in PC Gaming so i need your help absolutely and please excuse my "newbieness" .

I plan on buying a G752VY-RH71 @ 1,850$ on a physical store. It has a GTX 980M with 4GB of VRAM and 16GB DDR4 but i still have a few questions about this version :

1- In the review Notebookcheck did (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Xotic-PC-Asus-G752VY-Notebook-Review.158415.0.html) someone said in comments that this version, according to Asus support, doesn't have the "3D Vapor cooling". Has it or not, or was he talking about the one sold by Xotic PC ?

2- The same guy said that the more expensive versions had better battery than this 8-cells. Is it really a 8 or 6-cells because i found versions of G752VY with 6-cells battery like this one : http://www.materiel.net/ordinateur-...067T+-+i7+-+SSD+-+GTX+980M+-+G-Sync#FicheDesc

3- Will it be possible in the future to replace the 980M GTX 4GB by something better ? Is it a "MXM component " so i will just have to buy a better MXM GPU or is it soldered on the motherboard ?

4 - 4GB of VRAM for the 980M GTX will it be enough for at least 2 years for now on ? On forums they say that for now it's enough but videogames developers doesn't feel like they have to optimize the use of it and probably it will not be better anytime soon.

5- I'm comparing it with the Alienware 17 R3 @2000 $ on their website (by shipping this time).
This one has a 8GB 980M GTX . Why would you advice me the Asus instead of the Alienware?
And with this 3D Vapor Cooling do you think the Asus has a better cooling than the R3 17 ? How about the Alienware 17 R3 cooling (yes ,so sorry i know that we are in a Asus section of the forum ...)

Thank you very much again for your atttention
1 REPLY 1

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont have the RH71, I Have the DH72 and believe someone is pulling your leg and or feeding you Bull excrement.
Differences in this model and mine.

RH71 DH72
Ram 16GB 32GB
SSD 128GB 256GB
Optical drive DVD Blu ray

The biggest hit you are taking is in the RAM dept. It comes with 2x8GB upgradeable to 4x8GB for a total of 32GB without opening it up to replace whats not in the user serviceable area and voiding your warranty.

Next biggest hit, the 128GB SSD is junk. Too small and not very good performance at all. Everyone changes these out so that alone will deplete your wallet a good bit as M2 NVMe SSDS are not exactly for the budget minded person.

DVD vs Blu ray? Personal preference, some dont even care if they have an optical drive at all. Mine saved me from having to buy a blu ray player for my RV and I can connect to the big screen in my 5th wheel via BT ort HDMI.

Other than that, the machine is identical.

The graphics and GPU are soldered in to the MOBO and cannot be upgraded, If you need to go that route you would be better suited buying an MSI. There isnt anything I have run that uses more than the 4GB of Vram. If I was going to hold out it wouldnt be over that, it would be over the next generation GPU, the Pascal.

Nothing is future proof. You can buy top of the line today and it will be obsolete in less than a year. Technology exists now but its not going to market. Its the same way the technology market has been run for years. OK buy this, get everyone psyched about it, get them to buy it. OK now that sales have tapered off from that lets let the next cat out of the bag that we have been sitting on for over a year now.......The consumer is a stupid animal and often falls for this over and over. Worst ones are the Iphone freaks that must have the newest version no matter the cost and will sit outside in freezing weather waiting for the doors to open or even pay someone to sit and wait for them. Have to have it NOW!!! Then two weeks later the shelves are overflowing and specials are running on them.

One thing that continously bites Alienware in the arse it crappy cooling. Every review ever done reports the same thing over and over since they introduced the machine. Hot keyboard, some instances over 120F.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein