cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G52VY Fans are on/off

SteaK_n_Cheese
Level 7
Hey guys!

I have been using this computer for like almost a month now and it has always been quiet, but I had just figured that the fans were not so loud but today I was struggling with mouse settings and SOMEHOW I did something and air started to came out from the fans and it was quite loud. So I guess NOW the fans started to work. I have no idea how I did it. I guess they were just turned off the whole time. I shutted down the computer after and now I can`t turn them on again and I couldn`t find anything. Is there a way to turn on/off the fans manually?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have managed to turn them on again with fn keys, not quite sure how.
22 REPLIES 22

Clintlgm
Level 14
There are no user controls for fans on these notebooks. The speed of the fan or fans is dependent on the temps of your CPU and GPU. Most of the time you don't notice the fan noise until they are running full out at 3400 RPM or so. This would indicate that your CPU or GPU was heating up to 80C or so.

You might want to run the sensors in Hwinfo64 to see what is actually going on. You will be able to see and log your CPU GPU loads, temps and fan speeds.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
SteaK n Cheese wrote:

EDIT: I have managed to turn them on again with fn keys, not quite sure how.

See what happens when you go to remapping your ATK profile! LOL.

As far as I know the only thing that has an effect is the thermal profiles unless you install a 3rd part software. Ive tried speedfan and even their latest beta and haven't been able to get anything to work in auto to any profile I set. I can use notebook fan control to manually set a percentage but that's about it. Mine dont run above a very low level until I throw something at it to raise the temps.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Clintlgm wrote:
There are no user controls for fans on these notebooks. The speed of the fan or fans is dependent on the temps of your CPU and GPU. Most of the time you don't notice the fan noise until they are running full out at 3400 RPM or so. This would indicate that your CPU or GPU was heating up to 80C or so.

You might want to run the sensors in Hwinfo64 to see what is actually going on. You will be able to see and log your CPU GPU loads, temps and fan speeds.

Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of fan. Even when I was playing GTA on battery.

I ran the sensors but truth to be told I am not quite sure what to look at exactly. I would appreciate it if you could help me about it. Here is a screenshot of it. http://i.imgur.com/Q48pIw8.jpg

JustinThyme wrote:

As far as I know the only thing that has an effect is the thermal profiles unless you install a 3rd part software. Ive tried speedfan and even their latest beta and haven't been able to get anything to work in auto to any profile I set. I can use notebook fan control to manually set a percentage but that's about it. Mine dont run above a very low level until I throw something at it to raise the temps.

First of all I remapped nothing and I don`t even use any profiles, such as from the gaming center or just whatsoever. And like I explained above I am pretty sure they were not working before at all.

PS: Today I turned on my computer and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time (almost a month), is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

SteaK n Cheese wrote:
Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of fan. Even when I was playing GTA on battery.

I ran the sensors but truth to be told I am not quite sure what to look at exactly. I would appreciate it if you could help me about it. Here is a screenshot of it. http://i.imgur.com/Q48pIw8.jpg

First of all I remapped nothing and I don`t even use any profiles, such as from the gaming center or just whatsoever. And like I explained above I am pretty sure they were not working before at all.

PS: Today I turned on my computer and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time (almost a month), is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

Easy Brother, I was only teasing about the keys.

Now all kidding aside if your function keys are controlling the fans and you didn't do a custom mapping to make it operate like that I would create a ticket with support as its more likely that hitting a particular function key is actually manipulating the connector where the fan plugs into the header on the mother board which is right under the FN keys meaning you have a bad connection there. Unless it was purely concidence that the temps hit the fan cycle profile at the same time.

For checking temps and fans CPUZ hardware monitor is actually better and easier to see with min and max temps etc. Try leaving that run in the back ground while running the heaven bench test to see what you get.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/download-unigine-heaven-benchmark,5.html

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Clintlgm wrote:

Well the problem is when I managed to accidentally turned them on I wasn`t even doing something on the computer but I think the fans were working at maximum speed. It was quite loud. So I am pretty sure they weren`t working at all before because all I did was for a month was gaming and there was not even the slightest sound of the fans even when I was playing GTA on battery.

JustinThyme wrote:

PS: Today I turned on my computer again and no fan noise at all again. If they were not working the whole time, is that a big problem? Should I RMA it?

Well if your fans were not working at all you would be overheating seriously.
iN the panel of Hwinfo64 sensors you will find CPU Load, temp and fan speeds all running live time. You will see HI Low and current, the same for GPU, with these sensors running. You can also Log these setting over a period of time.

Recreate your issue and I'll bet your having a issue of heating up of your CPU or GPU or both?
You need to isolate exactly what is actually happening to determine if you have a software or hardware issue.

You photo of the Summery main screen, you need open the sensors there you will see your CPU and GPU Load, temp and fan speed and a ton of other information.55212
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well if your fans were not working at all you would be overheating seriously.
iN the panel of Hwinfo64 sensors you will find CPU Load, temp and fan speeds all running live time. You will see HI Low and current, the same for GPU, with these sensors running. You can also Log these setting over a period of time.

Recreate your issue and I'll bet your having a issue of heating up of your CPU or GPU or both?
You need to isolate exactly what is actually happening to determine if you have a software or hardware issue.

You photo of the Summery main screen, you need open the sensors there you will see your CPU and GPU Load, temp and fan speed and a ton of other information.55212

Okay I did some tests. I first played GTA V and the GPU temperature was around 60, so I am guessing that`s totally normal. I was able to hear the fan noise a little, so they were working. Then I wanted to try something extreme and I opened three games (GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Rocket Legaue) at a time and played one of them while the two were minimized. I played around 15 minutes of Shadow of Mordor and the GPU temparature was 71 degree. So I am guessing that was also normal since I ran two other games at the same time.

So I am guessing the fans were working all along but I guess I was just missing it because they were not that loud but my girlfriend said she remembers some fan noises.

So my ultimate question is, why did the fans made so much noise the other day when only Rocket Legaue was open and I had not even started to play it yet. I mean I think at that time the fans were working the maximum capacity. You could hear it like AC. Now everything seems normal. When I don`t play fans are not working but when I play, they do.

Is it really possible that somehow I managed to trigger the fans to work at the maximum capacity with some kind of shortcut keys or something?

Yea your temps sound pretty good, my guess would be something triggered your CPU to run max Load and that caused your fan to run full speed. You'll have to replicate it again with the sensors running to figure it out.

So the sensors are showing you that the fans are dropping to Zero? mine always run like 600 RPM to Max at 3400 RPM I've never seen them stop completely to 0 RPM
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Don't forget to take the little rubber gromit's on the vent at the back when your using it to game.