ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm really confused about the g751 battery

I recentl'y had to RMA my computer for battery replacement because my battery would not hold a charge past zero. I have only had this computer for seven months and im already getting battery issues. Anyway for the 7 months i spent with the computer i was under the impression that i did not need to unplug my computer unless i turned it off seeing as i game it needs the power because gaming on the battery isn't very smart... Asus is extremely vague and unhelpful when it comes to caring for your battery for business related reasons. It's a gaming laptop so naturally its plugged in for long periods of time. I have come here for answers. How do i keep my battery from dying. Do i plug it in for some time then let it drain out each time it hits 100%. I'm really confused on what i should to. Can i have a definite answer on caring for this series battery?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Can someone please offer me an answer. I'm really in need of one.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

The battery charging tech has built in protection to keep it from overcharging or reducing the useful life. So you can leave it plugged in. In fact you'll notice that when it is working correctly it will drop a few percent rather than keeping it constantly at 100%

You may have simply had a bad battery. If this happens more than once then it could be a problem with the machine.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    The battery charging tech has built in protection to keep it from overcharging or reducing the useful life. So you can leave it plugged in. In fact you'll notice that when it is working correctly it will drop a few percent rather than keeping it constantly at 100%

You may have simply had a bad battery. If this happens more than once then it could be a problem with the machine.

Thank you for actually replying. I was told a way differen't story from asus. They told me that i need to plug my battery out once it hits a hundred and let it drain in order to keep battery life. Once i pressed them for answers on that. They gave me none. Is there any reason why they don't want to give me information on how to keep my battery for the longest time?...

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

You will get different answers from different people. The newer Lithium batteries are not well understood by all. Unlike the preceding batteries each individual cell is charge separately and balanced and do not hold a memory. The charging system is quite a bit more complex and as noted by our esteemed moderator its automatic and will regulate the charge dropping it by 5% or so before initiating a charge cycle. To see plugged in and not charging is intended operation. If you have 0 percent then either your charging circuit is cooked or more likely you have two open cells and need to replace the battery. Unfortunately there seems to be a QC issue with batteries these days as they are all made in one country that doesn't care about QC. I just had an incident where a brand new bank of 36 VRLA batteries went into thermal runaway, not pretty.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    You will get different answers from different people. The newer Lithium batteries are not well understood by all. Unlike the preceding batteries each individual cell is charge separately and balanced and do not hold a memory. The charging system is quite a bit more complex and as noted by our esteemed moderator its automatic and will regulate the charge dropping it by 5% or so before initiating a charge cycle. To see plugged in and not charging is intended operation. If you have 0 percent then either your charging circuit is cooked or more likely you have two open cells and need to replace the battery. Unfortunately there seems to be a QC issue with batteries these days as they are all made in one country that doesn't care about QC. I just had an incident where a brand new bank of 36 VRLA batteries went into thermal runaway, not pretty.

Wow. That doesn't sound very pretty. I'm glad to get input from you guys. It seems you guys are more reliable then asus. Which really says alot about their support. Anyway thank you for your help i really appreciate you taking the time to answer my thread rather then looking and moving on.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Probably this link maybe of some interest.
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Thanks for the thought in providing the link. Its very old information from 2010 and does not cover the batteries in the newer machines that uses the lithium Polymer type batteries. Even so I would have argued many points with the author in 2010 when it was written. It does have some useful general information.