cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Need to wipe and do a clean install.

shadowwraith
Level 7
Hi, my PC has failed. I need to wipe my storage and do a clean install of Windows 10 under UEFI mode. I am not sure how to do this, and since I have a Rampage V Extreme MOBO that seems to be at the root the problem, I think it best to come here and ask for advice on how to make my system new again.

My Rampage 5 Extreme seems not to be registering my two Samsung 850 EVO 1TB's that are set in RAID 0, so I want to make everything new again and set the two EVO's up in a redundant RAID 1 so if one of them fails in the future, I will not have this problem again. Please tell me how to go about convincing my MOBO into thinking that it is brand new again. I also want to install the latest BIOS onto it--I tried to stay with the 1302 version, but I never could restart the system without having to disconnect all power and reboot everything cold. I want the latest version (1702?) from the get-go this time so there will be no excuses for not performing correctly like a store-bought computer.

My rig specs:

MOBO : Rampage V Extreme
CPU : 5960X
GPU's : 2x Titan X in 2-way SLI
RAM : G.Skill 8 X 8 (64GB) kit
Storage : 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
750 Series 400 GB add-in card

I just play a few games on my PC. I bought an expensive one because my human disease has numbered my days on this earth and I wanted to not have any problems with computers anymore for it literally decreases my lifespan, due to stress, when I do. Please help me make my computer new again so I can get back to my game and forget about my personal problems.

Thank you in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

shadowwraith
Level 7
After looking at this forum more, I see that I need to fill out the following form:

Motherboard model: RAMPAGE V EXTREME

UEFI Version: 1301 (currently trying to update to 1902 with a flash drive plugged into the I/O "ROG Connect" as the User Guide says to do)

CPU: i& 5960X

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: G.Skill Ripjaws 8 X 8 single kit

GPU: 2x GeForce Titan X's in SLI

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB and an Intel 750 Series add-in card

PSU: Corsair AX1500i

USB Devices (model/version number): ASUS Pro Tactic Strix keyboard and a Castor Mionix mouse

Monitor: PG278Q ROG Swift

CPU Cooler: An EK water block

PC CASE: Corsair 900D

Operating system: Microsoft Activated yes/no? Windows 10 installed under UEFI mode

Drivers Installed (include version): 1301 (but it may now have 1902 installed)

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: No

System Overclocked (provide details)? Never overclocked, but tried to set it on XMP and then my gaming did not act right so I switched it back to Auto. Now that I am currently making my two EVO's RAID 1 instead of RAID 0 in the BIOS (which still says it is version 1301, but I currently have the 1902 flash drive in the I/O port and it is still blinking as I type this so the process is not complete) I have it back on XMP hoping iy acts right this time. It seems when you tell the BIOS that you are using your PC for gaming and tell it that it is water-cooled, it automatically wants to set itself into XMP mode.

Issue: My PC has failed. I need to wipe my storage and do a clean install of Windows 10 under UEFI mode. I am not sure how to do this, and since I have a Rampage V Extreme MOBO that seems to be at the root the problem, I think it best to come here and ask for advice on how to make my system new again.

My Rampage 5 Extreme seems not to be registering my two Samsung 850 EVO 1TB's that are set in RAID 0, so I want to make everything new again and set the two EVO's up in a redundant RAID 1 so if one of them fails in the future, I will not have this problem again. Please tell me how to go about convincing my MOBO into thinking that it is brand new again. I also want to install the latest BIOS onto it--I tried to stay with the 1302 version, but I never could restart the system without having to disconnect all power and reboot everything cold. I want the latest version (1702?) from the get-go this time so there will be no excuses for not performing correctly like a store-bought computer.

UPDATE: I am now updating my MOBO to version 1902 via flash drive which was formatted using Rufus and then had version 1902 downloaded onto it from the ASUS drivers' site. . ..

And viola! My BIOS now says it is version 1902!

Okay, now time to upload the Windows 10 Pro OS onto my 2x Samsung 850 1TB set into mirror striped RAID 1 for redundant permanent storage. (I removed my Intel 750 Series 400GB add-in card from the MOBO's 4th PCIE slot and disconnected both the power cable and the data cable from my ASUS Blu-Ray/DVD/Read-Write optical drive so there would not be any mixup in where my OS gets installed.) I must do this under UEFI mode--go under Boot, then Secure Boot in BIOS and select "Other OS", not the "Windows UEFI Mode" option; yes, it is confusing--to take full advantage of my MOBO ROG capabilities. Wish me luck. *fingers crossed*

Okay, I also had to go under Boot in BIOS and make Boot Option #1 the UEFI version of my flash drive and I disabled the non-UEFI version of it.

I got confirmation that my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS is installing under UEFI instead Windows mode by seeing the ROG symbol upon startup of installation instead of seeing the Windows symbol.

Okay my OS is correctly installed under UEFI mode since the ROG symbol appears upon startup instead of the Windows symbol.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi shadowraith 🙂

Sorry, bit quiet on the forum at the moment...seem to have missed your post.

Glad you got your BIOS sorted out. Now that you have done that can I suggest you clear CMOS and leave your memory at defaults for the moment.

Can you please detail part number of your memory kit?

8x8GB is a lot of memory to handle and the CPU memory controller might not be up to the task when you set XMP mode. I know many vendors sell things as plug and play but that is not the case for high frequency or large memory kits.

If you have a single kit and not two kits of same make/model maybe remove 4 sticks for now while you are setting up and installing OS....or at least leave the BIOS at F5 defaults...

I presume you have all the power connectors plugged in 24pin 8pin and 4pin atx?

With two Titan X I would also plug in the EZplug molex connector at the bottom of the board

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi shadowraith 🙂

Sorry, bit quiet on the forum at the moment...seem to have missed your post.

No worries, I am actually kind of proud of myself for being able to do what I have already done.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Glad you got your BIOS sorted out. Now that you have done that can I suggest you clear CMOS and leave your memory at defaults for the moment.

How do I clear CMOS?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Can you please detail part number of your memory kit?

8x8GB is a lot of memory to handle and the CPU memory controller might not be up to the task when you set XMP mode. I know many vendors sell things as plug and play but that is not the case for high frequency or large memory kits.

If you have a single kit and not two kits of same make/model maybe remove 4 sticks for now while you are setting up and installing OS....or at least leave the BIOS at F5 defaults...

F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I presume you have all the power connectors plugged in 24pin 8pin and 4pin atx?

Yes.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
With two Titan X I would also plug in the EZplug molex connector at the bottom of the board

Yes, it is made so. Is there also an EZ driver I need of some sort? And What about the ROG Connect driver? Also, is there an OC Panel driver?

Hi, Arne, thank you for being here. Should I download R5E drivers before updating the OS? I see in the updates that there is an nVidia update and it is my understanding that all R5E drivers should be installed before installing any nVidia drivers.

shadowwraith wrote:
No worries, I am actually kind of proud of myself for being able to do what I have already done.

Yeah, this is the good bit of building your own PC...nice one!:D

The only drivers you really need are the LAN driver, the MEI driver, and the chipset driver.

There is no EZ driver it is just an electrical connection...so no worries there.

The Nvidia driver you can download latest and install that direct from Nvidia. 361.75 is latest.

There is a driver for the OC pannel "ROG connect plus" or ROG connect or both...not 100% sure on that

Did you set XMP for RAM? is that working OK now?

shadowwraith
Level 7
The "ROG connect plus" is apparently for connecting a remote computer to my main one, of which I do not want to do anyway.

I downloaded the 361.75 version of the Game Ready Driver. I also dl'ed all R5E driver's you mentioned before any nVidia drivers.

Apparently the XMP is working fine--I do not do anything to it but let my BIOS know, from a series of questions it asked, that I would gaming and that my rig is custom water-cooled. Doing so made it up my CPU performance 32% and also upped my DRAM performance by 14%. I'm not a 'BIOS gambler,' I'm just going to let it do its thing, and now that I have the 1902 BIOS verision of the R5E, I am hoping I do not have deal with any errors when trying to restart/reboot like I had before with the 1302 version (and whatever else was making it happen).

I will let you know if the XMP setting under the 1902 version is finally good for my gaming--I am hoping I do not have to set it back to Auto. Also, I disabled Fast Boot.

What did you say about 'clearing CMOS'? How do I do that?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There is a clear CMOS button on the I/O panel (back of the computer)

If you have problems....switch off power and press this button once lights on board have gone out...it resets BIOS to defaults.

Many times the auto overclocking in the BIOS results in some stability problems and/or overvolting of components....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There is a clear CMOS button on the I/O panel (back of the computer)

If you have problems....switch off power and press this button once lights on board have gone out...it resets BIOS to defaults.

Many times the auto overclocking in the BIOS results in some stability problems and/or overvolting of components....

Excellent! I did not know that about the CMOS button. So do I shut power completely, or will the on-motherboard "START" and "RESET" buttons still be lit up?

I suppose it will not be any big deal if I have to switch back to Auto from XMP after gaming a bit. Who knows, maybe, with this forum's help, I might try tweaking it. . ..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes shut power off completely and wait for light to go out on board.

No harm in starting off with presets but you might want to tweak yourself after a while...plenty of help on the forum

🙂