cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog G20 wont boot

goose2468
Level 7
So, I have had the Rog G20 for about a year now, and while I was playing battlefield, the pc shut off, so I tried to turn it on again an nothing happened. I figured it was too hot so it shut down, so I went to sleep and waited for it to cool down. The next morning I tried to turn it on again, but to no avail. There is no indication of the pc getting any power, no fans turning on or lights, so I think it might be related to the power supply. Has anyone else had this problem?
7 REPLIES 7

GoHack
Level 8
First, go and make sure that everything is plugged in, on both ends of the power supply(s), both in the wall and into the computer, and try that. Don't just look, but physically check, especially in the case of the ones that attach to the computer case. You might of maybe unplugged something by accident. It's a simple check.

Next, check that you are even getting power to that wall socket, by pugging in a light or something. A circuit breaker or fuse in your house could of popped or blown. It does happen, especially if you have too many items running off of it. Just go into the circuit breaker/fuse box, trace down which circuit breaker/fuse supports that wall plug, turn it off, then back on, or in the case of the blown fuse, replace it w/the proper one. Try that. If you are running an electrical bus strip, or some kind of power surge protection, check that it is OK w/a light or something too, since they general come w/a built in resettable circuit breaker. Generally switching it off and on will reset it, via it's built in switch.

Next unplug the power supply(s) from the wall end, and leave it so for a minute or two. Then re-plug them back in, making sure the connectors are fully plugged into the wall and case, and try turning the computer on.

Finally, if you have one, use a voltage meter/multi-meter, measure for any voltage coming out of the power supply(s), to see if they are putting out any power.

If all this doesn't work, then it has to be something in the computer itself them, which may of failed.

These are simple things that I would do myself. I have had my own computer suddenly go dead one time, not the G20, but a much bigger more power hungry one, and it turned out to be a simply circuit breaker being popped out due to, too many items plugged into that circuit.

I hope one of my suggestions help and Good Luck.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Sick_G20
Level 7
Apparently I am having this issue as well. Had the G20 for exactly a year. No problems till last week. Playing BF4 for a couple hours while watching temps on the cpu and gpu as well as utilizations and fps with afterburner. All normal readings. When out of the blue fans go full speed and pc shuts down. 2 times this happened over the weekend while playing. I think its a power issue. Open up Aegis control panel and look at logged warnings. I noticed I had several errors pertaining to abnormal readings errors on the vcore and +3.3v. Then I go to event viewer. It says source Kernel-power event id 41 and id 63. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. this was logged at the exact time of the crashes.
1. I think either the power supplies are going bad/ cant handle long periods at 100% gpu utilization.
2. The power coming out of my wall outlet isn't consistent. maybe surges, spikes or unexpected dips for a split second. I'm not sure, I do have just a regular run of the mill surge protector. Maybe that's going bad. I am in the process of tracking down.

I went and bought an APC Back-ups. Something I have never really needed but should of had a long time ago, at least for my pc. I got the NS 1080.
It is supposed to feed the Pc with clean stable power as well as protect during outages. I got this yesterday and haven't had a chance to test it out fully. I intend to over the next week. I am hoping this solves the problem. If not I'll be on the phone with asus asking for new power supplies. I hope this isn't the case. I have used nothing but ASUS from mb's to GPU's and never had any issue till now. we will see.

Have you tried cleaning the cpu heatsink?

Sick_G20
Level 7
do you mean re-paste or dust it off? i have done neither. cpu temps never get above 65 degrees celcius, and with it being fairly new inside is spotless.

Since installing the ups I havent had an issue but haven't had a chance to fully test it. I just finished playing bf4 for about an hour no issues. I did notice on my ups screen that the pc pulls a significant amount of load once the gpu is at 100% compared to not playing a game. I hope this was the issue because even just idle is see the input ac power seems a touch low 115v- 118v. time will tell i guess.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah and over time a gpu could get worse with the cards always running really high loads, my guess is the card has issues and need to be replaced

I couldn't help but notice this, but I experienced the same problem. Computer shut down on Saturday and wouldn't boot up.
The power button would not light up when pressed, though the ac adapter did seem to be providing power, judging from the Ethernet cable's light.
I took it to work to look it over, and performed the following tests:

• Tested the ac adapter, which seemed to work fine.
  • Took out the GeForce GTX750. The computer booted up using the onboard graphics.
  • Put the GTX750 back in, still wouldn't power up.
  • Tried another (lower-end) card. Booted just fine.
  • Tried the GTX750 in another computer. The computer booted and recognized the card.

At this point I was at a loss, since both the ac adapter and the card were working. I thought maybe somehow the adapter wasn't
supplying enough power, but that was discounted by the test. I settled on just bringing the G20 back home, and swapping the card
with another system that had a lower-end card, figuring to just take my losses.

This was however, when I put the GTX750 back in the G20, and figured I'd give it another shot. You can probably guess what happened next.

The system worked fine.

Maybe someone can explain why? At work we're thinking that plugging the card in another system might have reset it in some way,
so that when it was put back in the G20 it was reset and worked again.

I'm also hoping this will work for others with the same problem.

martijnh wrote:
I couldn't help but notice this, but I experienced the same problem. Computer shut down on Saturday and wouldn't boot up.
The power button would not light up when pressed, though the ac adapter did seem to be providing power, judging from the Ethernet cable's light.
I took it to work to look it over, and performed the following tests:

• Tested the ac adapter, which seemed to work fine.
  • Took out the GeForce GTX750. The computer booted up using the onboard graphics.
  • Put the GTX750 back in, still wouldn't power up.
  • Tried another (lower-end) card. Booted just fine.
  • Tried the GTX750 in another computer. The computer booted and recognized the card.

At this point I was at a loss, since both the ac adapter and the card were working. I thought maybe somehow the adapter wasn't
supplying enough power, but that was discounted by the test. I settled on just bringing the G20 back home, and swapping the card
with another system that had a lower-end card, figuring to just take my losses.

This was however, when I put the GTX750 back in the G20, and figured I'd give it another shot. You can probably guess what happened next.

The system worked fine.

Maybe someone can explain why? At work we're thinking that plugging the card in another system might have reset it in some way,
so that when it was put back in the G20 it was reset and worked again.

I'm also hoping this will work for others with the same problem.

my only guess is that the card either came loose inside the pc, the problem is that these systems run really hot and the gpu tends to run quite high also. so maybe the system over heated and shut down, people say that the system tends to restart twice before it comes on tidy. you could have also tried the built on hdmi without the card to also check if the gpu was faulty