cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW - over 90 Celsius CPU and 80 Celsius GPU

Kyblik
Level 7
hello there,

i just bought Asus GL552VW, i7/16GB/960m 4GB version.
today i run some games for the beginning and when i looked on CPU/GPU temperatures, the CPU got 91C and GPU 82C on maximum.
the games i played are mostly on medium or high graphics, never on very high or ultra. the games are Diablo III, SWTOR, Mortal Kombat 9
and the like. newer are Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition. even those 3-4 years old games are runing those temperatures that high.

are those temperatures normal or should i fear some shutting downs and problems. will those temperatures go even higher
after 2-3 hours of playing or will they just stay there and i should not have any fears??

thx for help,
Kyblik
4 REPLIES 4

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello there new ROG citizen,

We @Vault-Tec, wish to remind you that no matter which PipBoy version you hold ( aka your laptop), the minute you have entered ROG country ( aka this forum ), you're able to SEARCH FOR ANYTHING using your own private PipBoy.... and it is really simple !
Just look at the right upper corner of your PipBoy, then enter your query in the "Search" field, Hit enter and viola!

Just for example, when we @Vault-Tec, searched for "gl552vw" we even found the following thread: HERE
We also searched for "gl551" we found the following thread: HERE, HERE and HERE
We @Vault-Tec, wish to state that this kind of query returns the best answers, to any situation you might find yourself during your wilderness trips, in the ASUS galaxy.
Thus, there is no need to mini-nuke your "opponent" ( aka open a new thread ) as there are already better known ways to eliminate your problems ( aka searching for the issue & reading about the solution - even if they're writen for other PipBoy version ( aka other laptop models) )

As always, feel free to visit us at the ROG central forum for any future question.
signing out,
VaultTec.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

I also have problems with overheating on my GL552VW. Mine has the same specs as yours except mine has the 2 GB video card since I use it principally for work not gaming. I only seem to have a problem with one of the four cores. My 0th (i.e. first) core maxes out at 95 C and thermal throttles under load. The vendor I bought it from does not acknowledge this as a problem. The middle two cores run at about 82-83 C and the last core in the 70s. But as I am limited by the hottest running core, I have had no choice but to cripple the processor somewhat by running the processor power state below 100% in Windows power options. This effectively turns off Intel Turbo Boost. I take about a 14% hit in computational speed, but it drops my temps about 15 C. So far it seems to be the only way to prevent overheating under full load.

Kyblik
Level 7
so, i installed other program what do temperatures, SeedFan and in that program the procesor temps are 15C less then in Core Temp, which is strange. SpeedFan also measures temperatures of GPU and hard drives, those are the same as in GPU-Z and CrystalDIskInfo. so im assuming that Core Temp is maybe worng because this program even dont recognize name/type/model of the procesor.

Kyblik wrote:
so, i installed other program what do temperatures, SeedFan and in that program the procesor temps are 15C less then in Core Temp, which is strange. SpeedFan also measures temperatures of GPU and hard drives, those are the same as in GPU-Z and CrystalDIskInfo. so im assuming that Core Temp is maybe worng because this program even dont recognize name/type/model of the procesor.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85037-ASUS-ROG-G552VW-CN288D-too-hot&p=622124#post622124

Fixed by latest bios 3.0