New ROGer Array

Audio hiss (static) ASUS Maximums VI Gene

Good folks of Republic of Gamers

I have a Realtek HD Soundcard on an Republic of Gamers Asus motherboard a maximus VI Gene, Windows 7.

I am using OBS Multiplatform to capture and record my 'videos'.

Whenever I record there is a hiss in the background (on the mic input channel). Which just sounds awful. It is constant. If I have my headphones in and run (any) capture software (Shadowplay, OBS etc) with me nowhere near the Mic, and the Mic away from any ambient sound, the 'recording capture' bar shows activity (a quarter of it) as it listens to this phantom noise.

I have disabled all other recording/playback inputs, its still there.

I have spent many days in google-dom...trying everything :

I have unplugged and turned off speakers with both Mic and Speaker jacks going into the back, front. I have used 3 different mic's (and none of them have this problem on the other 'less expensive' PC's in my house).

I have turned off all wireless emitters for a 5km radius (much to neighbours chagrin)

I found some advice telling me in my Recording Devices Tab (or via the HD Realtek Manager) to Disable All Sound Effects, and specifically to check "Acoustic Echo Cancellation" in the enhancements tab.

But....there is no option in the enhancements tab. Just DC Offset cancellation.

I have checked the other THREE computers in the house, they all have this option. So I assume its the Realtek drivers for ASUS/ROG ? that is ommiting these options. HOW CAN I GET THIS OPTION ?.....

And yes I have dropped the play/record rates to DVD (and CD quality).

What can I do (bar buying a new PC)

Oh and I have uninstalled and re-installed the drives (tried it with just windows drivers) ... but no Enhancements tabs at all.

My Witts end was passed about 48 hours ago.

Pleeeaaaaaseee if you know an option help.

I am even tempted to go to Windows 10 !!
    Last edited by Jeheil; 02-01-2016 at 02:10 AM.

New ROGer Array

3 unsolicited sales mails...but no helps

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Veovis PC Specs
    Veovis PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Eluktronics N131WU
    MotherboardROG Stirx X570-I gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 3950X
    Memory (part number)CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1Asus strix 1080 A8G
    Graphics Card #2Radeon Navi FE edition
    Sound CardCreative SoundBlaster x7
    MonitorMassdrop VAST
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1tb
    Storage #22 x Seagate Desktop SSHD ST4000DX001 4TB 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerArctic liquid Freezer II 120 Liquid Cooling System
    CaseGamerstorm Tristellar
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME titanium 650
    Keyboard Massdrop ALT keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G602 Mouse
    Headset Sennheiser HD58x Julibee
    Mouse Pad Laser megamat
    Headset/Speakers Creative SoundBlaster x7
    OS Windows 10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNighthawk 8x
    Accessory #1 Blue Mic
    Accessory #2 Logitech Brio
    Accessory #3 AVEGANT GLYPH

Hmmm... sounds like you're describing a balancing problem in the cables. (I didn't reply earlier as I was trying to remember where I heard about this before.) If your cable from your microphones to your PC isn't balanced (that is, not grounded) it can have a lot of feedback creating the buzz you're picking up. It looks like the driver that you're looking for does the software version that a balanced cable would do.

Here's a link for more information

New ROGer Array

Thanks for taking the time to respond Veovis.

Its just a standard (not to cheap headphone set), so not sure if its balanced or not, I do know that they works on 3 other PC's of much lower spec's....I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to electronics and the likes...just want to loose the hiss on my mic's input stream....

...or does the link, which I am pretty sure was referring to the 'jack' I am plugging in infer the problem is on the soundcard ? and its not balanced (I don't think it does).

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Veovis PC Specs
    Veovis PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Eluktronics N131WU
    MotherboardROG Stirx X570-I gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 3950X
    Memory (part number)CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1Asus strix 1080 A8G
    Graphics Card #2Radeon Navi FE edition
    Sound CardCreative SoundBlaster x7
    MonitorMassdrop VAST
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1tb
    Storage #22 x Seagate Desktop SSHD ST4000DX001 4TB 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerArctic liquid Freezer II 120 Liquid Cooling System
    CaseGamerstorm Tristellar
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME titanium 650
    Keyboard Massdrop ALT keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G602 Mouse
    Headset Sennheiser HD58x Julibee
    Mouse Pad Laser megamat
    Headset/Speakers Creative SoundBlaster x7
    OS Windows 10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNighthawk 8x
    Accessory #1 Blue Mic
    Accessory #2 Logitech Brio
    Accessory #3 AVEGANT GLYPH

Sorry. Balanced is a cable that cancels the buzz. The cause of the buzz is improper grounding, leading to more electricity in the audio pathway. So either your soundcard isn't sitting correctly in its port, the cable is bad or something isn't properly sheilded to prevent the interference you're getting. Usually it's the cable between the headset and the card that is the culprit. (The fix might be as simple as physically removing and reinserting the audio card [do at your own risk]) Another fix (as this is a seperate soundcard) is to mute the extra audio ports you are not using. This should lower the interference in the system and reduce the extra hiss.

As for the PCs with lower specs, do they have deticated sound cards? Are they laptops, and if not do they have smaller (lower wattage) power supplies? (Basically you can recreate the hum by plugging in a pair of headphones into a portable electronic device[tablet, smartphone, non audio mastered laptop] and notice an electrical buzz as its charging or better yet plugged in at 100%)
    Last edited by Veovis; 02-04-2016 at 06:26 AM. Reason: More info on possible causes