cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low quality battery in G75x ?

cdma2k
Level 7
After reading several stories/posts about bad battery, I check the battery status on each laptops around

run powercfg /bateryreport on Windows 8.1 or windows 10 command prompt
run powercfg /energy on windows 7

interesting finding:
zBook still 100% of designed capacity after 2 years and 4000 hours use
the rest are around 99%

unfortunately G751s: 97% and 98% within 100 hour and 50 hours use, horrible!

just wonder how your G75x battery is doing? If it is a common problem for Asus G75x, maybe we should raise our concern especially Asus made battery replacement non-user serviceable.
40 REPLIES 40

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well my G75VW seems to be working just fine since 2012. I really don't think anyone buying a 17" gaming notebook is concerned about battery life. Mine does exactly what I expect it to do. I only need it as a UPS and it hasn't failed yet.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

The battery in my G751JT has deteriorated by about 13% within 8 months. It won't charge above 86%-88% as of a week ago. The battery on my old Sony laptop loses a charge fast, but still at least charges to 100% and it's almost 6 years old.

Judging by the number of threads on this forum that are battery issue related with the G751's, I'd say the batteries are seriously lacking in this model.

I do keep my laptop plugged in most of the time since I use it for 3d artistic rendering, which obviously takes a lot of juice, so it's not a huge issue for me. But going from a laptop that I never had to worry about percentage loss to one that loses so much in less than a year really surprised me. Especially for paying so much, one would think the battery life would last at least a couple years.

Yes I have to agree if its not charging to100% you have a hardware issue. I don't really pay attention to mine but I just looked and it says 96% not charging.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

BrandyT wrote:
The battery in my G751JT has deteriorated by about 13% within 8 months. It won't charge above 86%-88% as of a week ago. The battery on my old Sony laptop loses a charge fast, but still at least charges to 100% and it's almost 6 years old.

Judging by the number of threads on this forum that are battery issue related with the G751's, I'd say the batteries are seriously lacking in this model.

I do keep my laptop plugged in most of the time since I use it for 3d artistic rendering, which obviously takes a lot of juice, so it's not a huge issue for me. But going from a laptop that I never had to worry about percentage loss to one that loses so much in less than a year really surprised me. Especially for paying so much, one would think the battery life would last at least a couple years.

Yes, 13% loss within 8 months is not acceptable for a product positioned as high-end and costs that much

cdma2k
Level 7
To be more specific, when you
run powercfg /bateryreport on Windows 8.1 or windows 10 command prompt
run powercfg /energy on windows 7

there are several parameters printed out

Full Charged Capacity
Designed Capacity

Battery Wear Level = Full Charged Capacity / Designed Capacity

I'm not happy with lossing 3% (i.e. 97% of battery wear level after less than 100 hours' use of my G751)

NAME G75--52
MANUFACTURER ASUSTek
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY LIon
DESIGN CAPACITY 78,000 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 62,370 mWh
CYCLE COUNT

Ok so I'm @80% after 3.5 years
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
NAME G75--52
MANUFACTURER ASUSTek
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY LIon
DESIGN CAPACITY 78,000 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 62,370 mWh
CYCLE COUNT

Ok so I'm @80% after 3.5 years

thanks, fyi, my HP zBook 100% after 2 years/4k hous, Acer Aspire 93% after 6 years/22.3k hours; I guess we can not say Asus's battery meets our expectation

JustinThyme
Level 13
3 machines in the G75x family. All are fine. Diagnostics report with no issues noted. Two over a year, one less than a month. They all behave the same. Drops down to 95% before it will initiate a charge cycle and stops at 100%.
There are a lot of user related habits that factor into the batteries longevity and accounts for more of any failure rate than anything else. There are a few cells that will crap here and there, that just the nature of extracting usable power from a chemical reaction, its still not an exact science and never will be. Batteries have evolved tremendously over the course of the last few years. 5% failure rate is acceptable according to IEEE standards.

You cant compare a zenbook to an ROG machine, they are two totally different platforms designed for different purposes. The Zenbook uses Intel Graphics and are configured for low power comsumption as they are marketed to be ultra portable with long batter life. ROG G751 series are the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Portability and battery run time has been sacrificed for extreme performance. You hit a ROG hard enough with an intensive application that is going to tax the CPU and the GPU it is going to draw on the battery even when plugged in. Nothing you can do on a Zenbook that would ever bring that scenerio into play. Comparing the two is like comparing the size and power specifications of a Mini cooper to a Maserati. They are just not in the same league.

There is one thread with a few users having issues with batteries. That does not equate to a general statement that all G75X series machines have low quality batteries. Google asus zenbook battery problems. If you follow the same protocol then all Zen books have low quality batteries as well. Guarantee you do a search on any battery in any device and it will yield multiple hits. Like I said 5% failure rate is 100% acceptable. Someone has to experience the 5 out of 100.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

1. by zBook I mean HP zBook, not asus zenbook
2. please read careful about what the Battery Wear Level means; you have to find out what is your current Full Charged Capacity and how far it drops from the Designed Capacity

let's make a hyperthetical example
G751's Designed Capacity is 90,000 mWh let's assume it can last 10 hours
if your Full Charged Capacity is 90,000 mWh when it is new, i.e. wear Level = 100%
then your Full Charged Capacity drops to 45,000 mWh after 1 year, , i.e. wear Level = 50%
you still can charge it to 100%, but that's 100 % of Full Charged Capacity, i.e. 45,000 mWh, not 100% of Designed Capacity
it can last 5 hours only now after full charge, got it?

My concern is that the batter wear level for G75x drops too fast as time goes by