Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    What you are experiencing has nothing in the least to do with the contents in the OP in this thread. Trust me when I say, you have a defective pack with a shorted cell.
    Alright, so I understand now that 5% of batteries fail. So it seems all of us posting here with this problem fall within that 5%. My question is...is it ok to continue using my laptop with a shorted cell? Will it hurt the laptop at all? If everything will continue to function as normal save for the max charge, I'm on the fence about sending it in to be serviced. However, if running it on a bad battery will inevitably hurt the laptop, I may as well send it in now. This is my main concern.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyT View Post
    Alright, so I understand now that 5% of batteries fail. So it seems all of us posting here with this problem fall within that 5%. My question is...is it ok to continue using my laptop with a shorted cell? Will it hurt the laptop at all? If everything will continue to function as normal save for the max charge, I'm on the fence about sending it in to be serviced. However, if running it on a bad battery will inevitably hurt the laptop, I may as well send it in now. This is my main concern.
    I think it is actually dangerous. The more cells get shorted, the more your power adaptor gets overloaded and could result in an exploding battery or burned power adaptor. If battery is removable, you can remove battery and run your laptop with power adaptor plugged into a ups. But it is always best to replace the battery.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

^^^^^^what he said

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Julskey View Post
    I think it is actually dangerous. The more cells get shorted, the more your power adaptor gets overloaded and could result in an exploding battery or burned power adaptor. If battery is removable, you can remove battery and run your laptop with power adaptor plugged into a ups. But it is always best to replace the battery.
    Thanks a lot for the information, this was also my main concern, but sadly my model has a non removable battery.
    Guess I'll have to send it to replace right away.

I installed the BatteryCare program to monitor my battery and when it reaches the top level (87%), the charge rate stops at 0 W. It made me think nothing was wrong with keeping the battery that way.
    Last edited by Alex8850; 02-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

They can be user replaced if you are comfortable with it and your machine is out of warranty. Just pop the keyboard off, 6 screws holding the display hinges to the main frame and slide the display behind the machine out of the way, dont even have to disconnect display connectors or wifi antenna. unplug battery from motherboard and a couple of screws holding the battery pack in. You can source the pack for ~$80, just have to look around. Ebay cannibals sell them and there are aftermarket packs. Ive been in and out of the machines enough that with that practice I can change out a pack in less than 30 mins, and thats with a 10 minute coffee break in the middle.

This video shows most of it. After this its just a matter of the display screws, the battery connector and the battery screws. Like I said just lay the display behind the machine and pull the keyboard toward the front to get to the battery connector and retaining screws. you can pull the ribbons off of the keyboard and lay it aside too if you want. Just flip up the retaining tabs at the MOBO connectors and they will come right out with little effort. Just take a little patience going back with those as you have to balance the keyboard off of the MOBO with something as you will need both hands to put the ribbon in place and close the retainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alex8850 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the information, this was also my main concern, but sadly my model has a non removable battery.
    Guess I'll have to send it to replace right away.

I installed the BatteryCare program to monitor my battery and when it reaches the top level (87%), the charge rate stops at 0 W. It made me think nothing was wrong with keeping the battery that way.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...the charge rate is 0 once it hits 87%, so I figured it was ok. But I guess not, which sucks because I was really hoping not to be without my laptop for a couple weeks.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by cdma2k View Post
    After reading several stories/posts about bad battery, I check the battery status on each laptops around

run powercfg /bateryreport on Windows 8.1 or windows 10 command prompt
    run powercfg /energy on windows 7

interesting finding:
    zBook still 100% of designed capacity after 2 years and 4000 hours use
    the rest are around 99%

unfortunately G751s: 97% and 98% within 100 hour and 50 hours use, horrible!

just wonder how your G75x battery is doing? If it is a common problem for Asus G75x, maybe we should raise our concern especially Asus made battery replacement non-user serviceable.
    Well your readings are probably wrong somehow.
    NO battery can be 100% after 2 years. No battery invented 'till 2016 at least...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ciccio80 View Post
    Well your readings are probably wrong somehow.
    NO battery can be 100% after 2 years. No battery invented 'till 2016 at least...
    go tell Microsft their powercfg is wrong
    or tell the battery manufactuere don't lie
    I'm just a messenger, pull the number out from the battery by a use of windows command powercfg
    Last edited by cdma2k; 02-02-2016 at 10:38 PM.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

You must first understand batteries and the fact that NO software is capable of measuring all aspects of the batteries in an accurate fashion without sensors in which to do so. Batteries are a chemical reaction that produce power. They are not an exact science. A battery can test perfect today and fail tomorrow. I address this fact on at least a weekly basis at work. Customers pay $25K for a small basic battery monitoring system and often more to give them a predicted run time then have a cow when it said they have 15 mins and only get 12 mins. They don't complain though when they get 20 instead.

What lie is the manufacturer telling? Have you pulled the cells out of the pack and done a load bank (calibrated instrumentation) discharge on them and trended no only voltage, current and internal impedance but temperature rise as well? Im just the messenger, the number you pull out with windows powercfg isn't even a diagnostic tool and is about as accurate as an MIT thesis written using common core math. If you ask any M$ platform designer they will tell you the same thing. The software is not designed to tell you if you batteries are good or not. It has an algorithm based on use, current power profile, age of batteries, temperature of the batteries, current voltage etc and uses this information to estimate when its time to put the computer to sleep or hibernate, nothing more. This is its entire purpose in life and the key word here is estimate.

I'm not guessing at this, I get paid a nice salary to do this stuff for multi billion dollar corporations as well as every banking institution and wall street trading company you can think of. Trust me when I say they don't want maybe when it comes to a data center that turns $10-$20 billion daily in transactions. One oops by M$ powercfg and billions are lost.M$ powercfg is a definite.......maybe kinda sort of.

In the end, would you trust M$ powercfg to monitor the batteries in your life support system? Dayum skippy I dont!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    They can be user replaced if you are comfortable with it and your machine is out of warranty. Just pop the keyboard off, 6 screws holding the display hinges to the main frame and slide the display behind the machine out of the way, dont even have to disconnect display connectors or wifi antenna. unplug battery from motherboard and a couple of screws holding the battery pack in. You can source the pack for ~$80, just have to look around. Ebay cannibals sell them and there are aftermarket packs. Ive been in and out of the machines enough that with that practice I can change out a pack in less than 30 mins, and thats with a 10 minute coffee break in the middle.

This video shows most of it. After this its just a matter of the display screws, the battery connector and the battery screws. Like I said just lay the display behind the machine and pull the keyboard toward the front to get to the battery connector and retaining screws. you can pull the ribbons off of the keyboard and lay it aside too if you want. Just flip up the retaining tabs at the MOBO connectors and they will come right out with little effort. Just take a little patience going back with those as you have to balance the keyboard off of the MOBO with something as you will need both hands to put the ribbon in place and close the retainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU
    You are sure of great help! Thanks JustinThyme.

I've read several bad comments about ASUS Support, so I might buy an OEM A42N1403 replacement pack that I recently saw on Amazon.com for 80 bucks and follow the steps you've provided textually with the visual help of the YouTube video. I might also seek an experienced technician to help me with the replacement procedure, since I'm a nervous guy.

Anyways, thanks a lot again for the information, seems that you provided me the most adequate solution for this problem.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast