cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY - Partition Configuration Hard Drive Out-of-the-Bo

Gizmotech
Level 7
Hello, all.

I am a new member, and new to the ASUS gaming laptops, but have been in the technical field for many years and have built many systems and servers.

I just purchased a new G752VY which came with the 256GB SSD and a 1TB, 7200rpm hard drive.

Everything is fine with the system, but the configuration of the hard drive has me a bit puzzled. The 1TB hard drive was partitioned and formatted as FAT32 with a total capacity of 417GB and a lable of "DVD_ROM (D:)". On the hard drive were four folders and a few files, totaling 540MB.

The folder names were:
- Boot
- EFI
- en-us
- Sources

There were three files in the root, named:
- bootmgr
- bootmgr.efi
- TOOL_NB64_w10gpt_V1.01

In my past experiences, the manufacturer often has a partition formatted that have the files necessary to create a bootable tools or recovery disk. That is what I expected this to be. However, I can find no program to create the disk.

So, my question is: Is this type of configuration of the hard drive standard on these machines? And if so, what are the files for. I've confirmed that they are not required to boot the machine. Is it possible that this was done while setting up the machine initially, and the drive was just never reconfigured?

One other question. I plan on upgrading the SSD from 256GB to 512GB. However, I have read several postings regarding the Samsung SM951-512GB SSD and the Samsung 950-512GB SSD. It appears that the 950 has some consumer features such as throttling that might cause a slight performance hit as compared to the OEM 951. Other than the difference in the warranty length, and the compatability with the Samsung Drive Migration software, is there something that would make one preferable over the other?

Thanks for your time and your input.

Best Regards,
14 REPLIES 14

JustinThyme
Level 13
Can you please state the model number and region you are in.
Thats not the way mine came, not even close.

As for the drive upgrade. The 950 pro does icorporate throttling into the firmware if the temp of SSD exceeds preset limits so you dont cook the SSD. IMO that is a plus. As for taking performance hits because of it, the only way this will happen is if you have zero air flow and pound it with steady writes for 20 minutes. In other words not likely unless you intentionally thrash your drive non stop for no other reason than proving that it will throttle eventually.
They are both compatible with samsung data migration software. Neither is compatible with Samsung Magician or Samsung drivers on this platform.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Can you please state the model number and region you are in.
Thats not the way mine came, not even close.

My apologies for not including more informaiton.

The model number is G752VY-DH72. I am in the US, east coast.

Best Regards,

EttoreA
Level 7
Gizmotech wrote:
...So, my question is: Is this type of configuration of the hard drive standard on these machines? ...

Mine is G752VY-T7004T; Intel core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M, 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM + 256 GB SSD.
I think my configuration should differ from the yours substantially RAM (32GB yours vs 16GB mine) and for optical unit, DVD mine while BR the yours.

In my machine 1TB HD was formatted as NTFS and no files or folders were there at all.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sound to me like someone did a clean install with the 1 TB still in the machine and some of the boot manager files are on your 2nd drive. You can test this by removing your 1 TB spinner and see if you still are able to boot. Strange things can happen with clean install in UEFI.
Your SSD 256 GB looks correct. To use the recovery partition if you have one would be a F9 boot. Also you can download Asus Backtracker and create a Restore USB 32 GB thumb drive for factory recovery. I don't see an Asus Recovery partition in your listing of your C:\ drive
Link is to FAQ and has a download link to the software.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Gizmotech wrote:
My apologies for not including more informaiton.

The model number is G752VY-DH72. I am in the US, east coast.

Best Regards,

Was your box sealed? Who was the vendor?
I have that exact machine and its not even close to that. Both Drives are GPT. The 1TB 7200RPM is a single NTFS partition and completely empty.

C:\ is a little different for UEFI boot and recovery. Ive migrated mine over to a 512GB drive so some partitions are a bit larger.
499MB recovery partition
260MB EFI partition
The rest is all NTFS with 10% of the total remaining set by me to unallocated for over provisioning of an SSD drive. so last two are 425GB NTFS and 50GB unallocated.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Was your box sealed? Who was the vendor?
I have that exact machine and its not even close to that. Both Drives are GPT. The 1TB 7200RPM is a single NTFS partition and completely empty.

C:\ is a little different for UEFI boot and recovery. Ive migrated mine over to a 512GB drive so some partitions are a bit larger.
499MB recovery partition
260MB EFI partition
The rest is all NTFS with 10% of the total remaining set by me to unallocated for over provisioning of an SSD drive. so last two are 425GB NTFS and 50GB unallocated.

Justin,

Thank you for the reply.

My unit was sealed with the ASUS seal tape. The unit was purchased from Amazon.com.

My C: drive is laid out the same as yours, with the EFI and Recovery partitions. The only odd thing was the hard drive. As Clintlgm suggested, it looks like the drive had the remnants of a Windows boot manager configuration.

I disabled the 😧 drive, and the machine booted without issues. Therefore, I have deleted the FAT32 partition, and re-partitioned and formatted the drive as NTFS and all is working as expected.

Also, thank you for your comments regarding the 951 vs the 950. I went ahead and ordered the 950 which should be here today. I will clone the 256GB SSD to the 512GB once it arrives. For the moment, for my usage, the 7200 rpm hard drive is fine, so I won't be upgrading that.

Thanks to all who replied. You confirmed what I had suspected.

Best Regards,

JustinThyme
Level 13
Very odd indeed! It does sound exactly as Clint described with the remnants on the spinner, question is how did they get there. Only thing that comes to mind with a brand new machine in a sealed box is somehow a 7200rpm 1TB drive that had been imaged for another purpose was placed in your machine during assembly. They dont test boot these at the factory. All componets are supposed to be tested on test jigs specific to the device before assembly. The drives are all imaged in bulk 100s at a time.

Cloning that drive is easy with the samsung data migration tool. To make it easiest remove the spinner so its not even in the list. Then install the 950 in the empty M2 slot and boot it up. Launch the samsung migration tool and use the automatic function which will expand the main partition to use all of the 512GB drive. Once done it will prompt for you to shut down. Then just shut down and take out the 256 and put the 512 in its place and reboot. Done. Some like to use the 256 in the other slot and delete the partitions and use it for storage. Mine is in the 950 Pro box and placed in the laptop box for two reasons.Number one, the oh crap factor should the 950 take a dump. I can just plug it back in and im back in business. Secondly if I need to RMA the machine I can do the same and just swap drives. If you format it and the 950 craps you have no recourse but to do a clean install on any replacement media.

I did the same with the 7200rpm spinner. Its in the 1TB 850 EVO box which is also in the laptop box. The 850 Evo is 3-4x faster than the spinner.
5 laptops in the house and all of the boxes from them have the parts that were upgraded put in the boxes and on a shelf in my basement along with other boxes. My wife thinks I'm a hoarder but I proved her wrong. When my onkyo AVR crapped for good I threw away the box along with the receiver! LOL

My Samsung 950 SSD arrived this afternoon, and I did just as you described. I installed it alongside the original 951, booted up and ran the Samsung Data Migration Tool and shut the system down. I removed the 951 and placed the 950 over in to the slot where the 951 had been, and rebooted. Then, I used a disk partitioning utility, and merged the additional space in to the C: partition, and I am up and running. Only took a few minutes.

Like you, I am keeping the 256GB Samsung 951 SSD in the box and stored away in case of emergency.

On another note, the peculiar issue with the spinner is becoming a little clearer. When I went to remove the back cover to install the Samsung 950 SSD, I discovered that the head of the small philips screw that holds the cover shut was damaged, as is the case when a screwdriver slips within the head. Next, I discovered that the threads had been stripped. So, it is apparent that at some point, the unit was opened and either the hard drive or perhaps the SSD drive, were replaced. At that point, I suspect a clean install was done, and the hard drive was never completely reconfigured.

Since the box was still sealed, I assume that this must have been during assembly, but whoever did the work was a bit heavy handed with the screw. Other than that, the machine was pristine in its appearance and has been 100% fully functional. Just leaves me wondering...

Again, thanks for everyone's comments and help.

Best Regards

JustinThyme
Level 13
Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

That does make you feel a little leery and even question if you got a refurbished unit instead of brand new. I cant say for certain exactly how ASUS does it but I have worked on automation equipment in both Dell and Compaq when they were still around. Nothing was tested after final assembly. If they replaced the drive after the fact its because it failed when someone bought it and tried to start it and it didn't work.

Unfortunately even amazon is slipping with the riff raff they let in anymore. You have to make sure they are legit. I try to limit my purchases there to sold by amazon and if not at least shipped my amazon and prime eligible so I can send it right back. Not long ago I bought a slim profile bluray player off of amazon and it wasn't prime eligible. Everything looked good. packing looked brand new, put it in, it was a DVD player. Went back the same day.