cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Station

silenTSavior
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I've decided, now that I'm finally done first semester and exams are over, I would try something new. The table I'm currently using I've owned for several years, and I'm starting to get sick of it, it's inefficient for my needs, it doesn't fit with the rest of my room, and it's not cool enough!!! So what I have for you today is something I've been working on for quite some time now, with several prototypes and re-edits. This table has been designed to fit perfectly in the space I want to, and hopefully will make things look a lot nicer. This is really my first build to this size, so I hope you guys enjoy and if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to join me!

My current work area

The completed station

The table will not be going in the same place where it is now. I would show you where it would go, but it's kind of a mess right now 😛
30 REPLIES 30

silenTSavior
Level 7
The past couple days have been kind of messy. Because of the fact that I live in Canada, Alberta to be specific, it gets cold. Very cold. And snowy as well. Since I don't have a work shed or any secure area of the sort, I have had to create my own

First thing first, I had to get rid of all the snow

Then, I set up a tarp to cover the area, because I was expecting more snow to come

This tarp wasn't big enough for my liking so I got a bigger one

Unfortunately, I didn't do a good first job and it was very windy that night, so it came loose. There was snow too 😞

I tried again in the morning, cleaned up the snow, and tried different ways of hooking it into place, so hopefully it should be strong enough now

I'm hoping to get started on the actual building portion very soon

Wish me luck!

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG silenTSavior ... ROG'on.

Best of Luck .. Looking forward to the outcome.
Hard Core GameON Shed Solution - Salute. Please keep us posted. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome to ROG silenTSavior ... ROG'on.

Best of Luck .. Looking forward to the outcome.
Hard Core GameON Shed Solution - Salute. Please keep us posted. .c.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it as well, it's exciting and intimidating. All in all, it's fun. Hopefully all goes well! 🙂

So I finally got some time today to go out and get some work done. I only have about 2 hours of sunlight left after I get home from class, so I wasn't able to do much.
Over the weekend I did a mini project again and printed out a bit of a "blueprint" guideline for one of the boards, it's six pieces of printer paper taped together with the schematics on them. The printer didn't print on the margins as much as I hoped it would, so I had to fill out quite a bit. The taping job could have been better too, but it printed unevenly.
This contains most of the main parts I need, which is why it's first
I know this is more work, as I could just take the image of the plan on a laptop or something, but I decided I might as well try something new, have a little fun. Why not! This whole project is about new experiences anyways. If this works well, I'll do it for the rest of the sheets

I moved a sheet onto a table, which was quite hard to do alone

The light you see in the back is more for warmth than light, it was incredibly cold today.
I had to put up more tarp to cover the stairs area (you can see in the previous pictures), as more snow, wind, and coldness were coming in than I would like
Because of the cold and having to set up the tarp I couldn't do much sketching, but hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow as the stuff I had to waste time on is done with now.

silenTSavior wrote:
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it as well, it's exciting and intimidating. All in all, it's fun. Hopefully all goes well! 🙂

hmmmm .. like wedding night ... when the red quits flashing, go make a sandwich. (Water Crest on Ezekiel of course.)
May OverC ocking never grow old !!! .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
hmmmm .. like wedding night ... when the red quits flashing, go make a sandwich. (Water Crest on Ezekiel of course.)
May OverC ocking never grow old !!! .c.

Ahaha exactly. Far from being married though so this will have to fulfill the excitement+intimidation category for now 😛

Worked on marking out the lines for the table a bit. There was another thing that came up today as well though that took away a bit of my time, I noticed there was an error in the original planning! 😞
It's a bit hard to describe, but there were a few problems. Some angles for a couple pieces were off, and one piece didn't fit as it should. Haven't completely fixed the last one yet, but it's going to be one of the last pieces cut out, so I can take some time if I need to

Here's the cover I was talking about in the last post. It's not much, but when it's 20 below freezing, and you have to find something that will cover it in the first place, it's much more difficult.

I'm going to Edmonton tomorrow morning, so I won't have time to do anything over the weekend unfortunately 😞 I was looking forward to it. I'll probably work on it again on Monday, as we'll be coming back Sunday night

silenTSavior
Level 7
So I came back from Edmonton last night and, unsurprisingly, it had snowed in my area 😞
It was too dark in the moment to assess the damage, and I was too tired, so I just let it go until tomorrow morning

The snow had caused the tarp to become too heavy and was unable to hold itself, causing the rings to rip

covering my planks with snow
Its a good thing it's cold, and I'm glad this happened sooner than later, because snow doesn't damage the wood, melted snow or rain. So this was actually, even though it's a waste of time, a good thing
That's twice I've had to fix the tarp, so this time I decided to use an even bigger one, and support the rings by folding the edges three or four times over themselves

This one completely covered everything, which I'm really happy about

After going through so many repair jobs and obstacles, I finally decided that I would have to make at least some progress, so I cut out one of the pieced I had finished marking out

It's a very simple piece, but it gave me a good idea on what settings to use for the jigsaw (which I bought for this), and how it would turn out
Hopefully I'm done with the setbacks and can start making some real progress in the coming days

chrsplmr
Level 18
Many would of tucked tail til spring by now. lol. Cudos on your resolve.
I have no doubt what so ever that your ROG will soon have a new nest. .c.