Maximus VII Hero Stuttering

Expander
Level 7
Motherboard model: Asus Maximus VII Hero

UEFI Version: 3003

CPU: i7 4790K

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 4x8GB

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: ADATA SP900 256GB, WD Black 4TB WD Green 4TB, ASUS Black 12X Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

PSU: Corsair RM850

USB Devices (model/version number): Logitech G710+ keyboard with G502 mouse and F710 Game pad.

Monitor: ASUS VS238

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

PC CASE: NZXT Phantom 530

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 1511 Activated

Drivers Installed: MEI_V11.0.0.1155_20150709_WHQL_1.5M, Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7525(SonicRadar V2.1.2401) for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit /10 64bit.(WHQL), Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V20.1.2019.0 for Windows 10 64bit.(WHQL), NVIDIA Graphics Driver 361.75

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: MSI Afterburner

System Overclocked? 4.6 GHz synced all cores Adaptive voltage, core voltage offset 0.005, Turbo mode CPU core voltage 1.275, CPU Integrated Fault Management Disabled.

Issue

I purchased my Maximus VII Hero in early December of 2014 and have experienced random stutters ever since that have only gotten worse over time. Every 45 minutes to two hours the pc will freeze for half a second to almost two seconds with the sound stuck buzzing and the mouse unresponsive then return to normal operation.

At first I thought it might be because of the old HDD I used from my previous PC, but have since replaced it with an ADATA 900 SSD, a 4 TB WD Black drive for storage and a 4 TB Green drive for backup. I replaced the PSU from my old PC (corsair GS600) with a new corsair RM850. The problem persisted. I then replaced the RAM (non-xmp ADATA 1333 Mhz 4x2 GB) with G.Skill xmp 2400Mhz 4x8GB tested with Memtest86 for over 24 hours and four full passes with no errors. I even switched out the graphics card. Nothing has helped. I have had several fresh installs of Windows 7 in both mbr and gpt/uefi, upgraded to windows 10 in mbr and gpt/uefi and did several fresh installs of windows 10.

I have used Latencymon and every time the stutter occurred, it shows the Kernel timer latency for dxgkrnl.sys of 60 thousand milliseconds. It shows dxgkrnl.sys always running with a latency of over four thousand milliseconds.

All tests of the CPU (i7 4790k) at stock and the just 200 MHz overclock I use show no errors in Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and never crashes under any heavy load even in Handbrake MP4 encoder.

I just noticed today that when I choose the CPU level up at 4600Mhz the PC goes into a restart loop that never ends unless I turn off the PSU.

So I'm left wondering if this could be a faulty motherboard and I should have it replaced before the warranty expires or maybe the CPU is damaged from using Handbrake and it's AVX instructions that override my adaptive voltage settings?
5 REPLIES 5

Margus
Level 7
wery well known issue first updade MEI drivers some newer version intel lan 20.7 its matter of testing
leave RST alone not worth update install os only with asus dl provided rst you can install rst drivers while you in os setup from usb stick then select disk to install. Stuttering can cause also nVidia drivers if users test any suitable drivers and flanky hotfix unfixing all for that you need DDU to get rid of issues with video drivers in some cases its cannot even fix.

i use 20_7_CD for lan
intel_mei_11.0.0.1177-1.5M
and CHIPSET_V10.1.1.7_WHQL
IRST_V14.5.0.1081_WHQL

you can run also admin command prompt sfc /scannow if os broken just in case if you do clean install and sfc fixes something same for upgrade then something else with hw broken i run weekly sfc tobe sure if issue not with hw that cause issues.

Other problematic area that ppl install videocard and cut off some tracks from motherboard because its very common problem its easy to fix. I heard that from warrnaty guys.
1 or few cutted off tracks can cause stuttering but not instability its can cause weird os install problems like sfc fixing something after unproper shut down.
If hw not broken upgrade and unproper shutdown should not damage os. Its matter of testing.

Good bios is to test is 2902 latest have veird problems with clocks and less stable then 2902 i use this long time now.

Mantik
Level 7
I met this issue a few times a year ago?

Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (Observe spaces before /)

Re-run SFC

To view CBS Log

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Search C drive for sfcdetails.txt or navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down.

Update bios and everydrivers. (if not already done) Then it should be ok for you.

If the issue persists, do the same as said previously and disable your OC (set to stock speed) or put some more voltage for your CPU.

Mantik
Level 7
delete.

Margus
Level 7
My stuttering is gone very long time found way to get rid of it.

Margus wrote:
My stuttering is gone very long time found way to get rid of it.

How?