cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V formula z & FX 9590 clueless

mike74
Level 7
Need help desperately just replaced my mother board from a crosshair V formula to a formula Z and I upgraded my cpu to the fx 9590. I am having a he'll of a time to get it stabilizing and I don't have a clue what I need to do. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to messing with the bios.
4 REPLIES 4

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
With that CPU, the obvious first question follows:

How are you cooling it? Also, include some more information about your hardware.

Z

mike74
Level 7
mike74 wrote:
Need help desperately just replaced my mother board from a crosshair V formula to a formula Z and I upgraded my cpu to the fx 9590. I am having a he'll of a time to get it stabilizing and I don't have a clue what I need to do. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to messing with the bios.

Sorry I have an Asus crosshair v formula Z, motherboard, an FX 9590 Cpu, 32Gb of Kingston hyper X T1 DDR3 2133mhz Ram, Corsair H100i Gtx with 4 fans in push /pull water cooler , Sapphire R9-290 vapor X 8gb Video card., Asus Xonar sound Card, , Lepa Gold G1600 1600watt psu,
Antec 1200 vs 3 full tower with 3front 120 fans 1 side 120 fan 1 top 200mm fan, Windows 10 pro. I think I have covered everything you might need to know I have the second power adapter plugged into the motherboard. . I can get it to work sporadically and then it will freeze up the Corsair seems to be handling the heat of the chipso far. I am about ready to take this into a computer shop but I would rather ask you guys for help I know it has something to do with the bios but I am not confident enough to just start messing around with it. I don't want to overlook it I just want it to be state at the base level of 4.7

Chino
Level 15
Make sure you've populated the 8 pin and 4 pin power headers on your motherboard. It would also be wise to put some active cooling over the VRM.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi mike74 😄

You will need to get to know your Bios, if you want to get the most out of the FX-9590, as this is where you stabilize things.
Your cooling and PSU are more than adequate, so a few Bios tweaks will help to stabilize at stock frequency.

It is advisable to start with D.O.C.P in the AI Overclock tuner section of your Extreme Tweaker Menu. This will allow your Bios to Auto optimize bus and ratio in conjunction with the DIMMs you are using.
As for your DIMMs, 32GB at 2133MHz is a lot to ask of your IMC (Integrated Memory Controller). This is considered an OC, so you may have to start with a lower frequency and 16GB to determine initial stability of your system and CPU.
Boot your system into Windows and conduct a stress test using Realbench and HWMonitor for core temperatures and voltages.
Once stable at 4.7GHz, you can then tune for performance and recommended settings for up to 5.0GHz will be given.

Go here to learn your Bios: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2585-ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking
Go here for a good tutorial vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk and although done for the FX-8350, the same principles apply.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]