cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

He's dead Jim

icwhatudidthere
Level 9
Welp, it's been fun. /s Just over a year old and just tonight, it starts doing a BSOD every hour. Honestly I don't think it's even worth it to try to fix this piece of crap machine. Never buying another Asus.

Damn shame too, I still really like the case and how quiet it is. That said, it's developed an annoying buzzing sound from the left panel.
11 REPLIES 11

chrsplmr
Level 18
Belated Welcome to ROG @icwhatudidthere ..
BSODs are usually far from DOA ... imho. Most BSOD are Memory issues.
The G20 is no tweaked out M8F, but then you would never get all that in that case, and an UpGrade may be your flavor.
If not .. What have you upgraded exactly in the last year ? OS to Win10 ? Bios to [[ 703 ]] ? GPU ? Memory ?? Any OC'ing ?
Any update drivers on the GPU ? Personally, I would run MemTest, if that's good, I'd do a fresh install ?
As far as the 'noise', they can usually be attributed to a loose or dirty fan or a fan causing a vibration on 'something'.
Sounds to me like your ready to build, there are alot of great foundations/boards out there, and many coming online soon.
For what you invested in the G20 there are alot of sweet options.
Best of Luck. Please, Keep us Posted. .c.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah the system is amazing and great, my only advise would be strip down the machine and give it a good clean out due to dirt and dust build up, this could cause the noise. as for the BSOD then test a few things like, prime95 to see if the CPU is good, look at temps and see if it is'nt over heating, then memtest to test memory, if not then it could be the graphics card, use the intel graphics to next see if the graphics card is not the issue, alot of people have GPU issues as their run heavy loaded most of the times in games, personally sounds like the gpu could be causing that BSOD. let us know if you have tested the above, and welcome to the forums 🙂

Welsh Gaming

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
yeah the system is amazing and great, my only advise would be strip down the machine and give it a good clean out due to dirt and dust build up, this could cause the noise. as for the BSOD then test a few things like, prime95 to see if the CPU is good, look at temps and see if it is'nt over heating, then memtest to test memory, if not then it could be the graphics card, use the intel graphics to next see if the graphics card is not the issue, alot of people have GPU issues as their run heavy loaded most of the times in games, personally sounds like the gpu could be causing that BSOD. let us know if you have tested the above, and welcome to the forums 🙂

Welsh Gaming

Cheers. I saw a few of your videos a few days ago and was planning on opening it up and switching it to SSD entirely. The vibration/buzzing on the left panel is right around the middle front. It seems to be heat related too as it doesn't really happen until it's been on for a few hours. Mind you, it doesn't seem related to the fans since there's no correlation between fan rpm and the buzzing. Maybe some internal piece is heating up as the day goes on and expanding enough to allow a vibration to happen.

Anyway, now that it's somewhat dead and/or useless I have more incentive to open it up and just play around in there, so I guess that's good? 🙂

icwhatudidthere
Level 9
Hi, was mostly venting, but thanks for the reply. The community here has been really great the past year.

I'll give MemTest a try. Otherwise, I've updated the OS to Win 10 and all the latest BIOS and drivers. But it's been stable for months.

Also, know any good registry repair programs? I checked the Reliability monitor and it had a few Bugcheck crashes with registry errors.

Something must have gotten corrupted to because it also lost all of my restore points.

toronto699
Level 13
here try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zkvlcnv-UU
or try in place upgrade u will not lose any thing
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html\
CCleaner can help with registry free version
http://www.piriform.com/

Hatsune Miku

Sick_G20
Level 7
IMHO uprading to w10 is no good. Put whatever came with the machine. I upgraded my perfectly working 5 year old ASUS laptop to win10 because I was curious and wanted new os. BIG mistake practically made my machine useless. crashing, incompatibility, spying, stupid long boot times. It was a complete mess. It even removed my recovery partition. thank god i made my own back up. Nothing in this life is free. And i totally question the intention of a free os. Basically your saying sure come on in.

I can recommend CCleaner. love that application. Wish you luck, but you should still have 2 years left on warranty. let ASUS fix it if you cannot. I have recovered several desktops and friends laptops who said they were broken. Sometimes hardware issue are genuine and need to be replaced. But most of the time its just that the software is so buggered up.

chrsplmr
Level 18
@icwhatudidthere,
Venting is good for the soul and as a bonus others that were to bashful may get an idea .. Well ROG'd. .c.

icwhatudidthere
Level 9
Thanks everyone for the tips. Current status: It's stable in safe mode so I've been pulling everything off the past few days.

One weird thing is the first time it boots up for the day, the video card fans spin up to full and stay there and the machine never actually boots up. If I then turn it off and back on, it'll go to a POST screen with instructions to hit Enter to recover BIOS settings or hit F1 to enter Setup.

toronto699
Level 13
In Bios select "optimize" save settings exit