cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware lockups with overheating 3d gaming solved

wherrera
Level 7
After starting the recent North American launched game Blade&Soul, I found that the G20aj fails to detect GPU temps rising to above 80C during dungeon play at high quality settings, keeping the GPU fan quiet, but resulting in lockups running this game at GPU temps above 79C. I do not know why the NVIDIA driver, even updated, does not adjust the fan speed at such a temperature.

The current solution for me: download http://www.almico.com/speedfan449.exe speedfan and choose advanced contols, set fan to manual at at least 90% of max speed. The run the game, and set the fan back to auto after game exit. No more lockups so far :).
6 REPLIES 6

Nerkatron
Level 7
Might be a dumb question, But where do i find the advance controls? I have Readings, Clock,Info etc. Im not smart when it comes to stuff like this so if you can explain with a step by step would be great thank you

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah once speedfan is open, go to the configue tab on top right, then at the top is loads of tabs, go to "Advanced" then find something like "nuvoton NCT6792D" this will be different for your system, click PWM 1 Mode and at bottom change to manual and same for PWM 2 mode, click ok. then on the main screen of that program change the % of the "sys" and cpu" and others till you can help your fans speed up.

Never mind: it still happens with the older drivers, just not as quickly, probably because the newer drivers implement directx 11 in a way that uses more of the GPU.

The only thing that seems to work to avoid the lockups in Blade&Soul is to dial down the settings and dial up the GPU fan. Not sure if it is a software or a hardware problem, though.

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
yeah once speedfan is open, go to the configue tab on top right, then at the top is loads of tabs, go to "Advanced" then find something like "nuvoton NCT6792D" this will be different for your system, click PWM 1 Mode and at bottom change to manual and same for PWM 2 mode, click ok. then on the main screen of that program change the % of the "sys" and cpu" and others till you can help your fans speed up.

wherrera wrote:
Never mind: it still happens with the older drivers, just not as quickly, probably because the newer drivers implement directx 11 in a way that uses more of the GPU.

The only thing that seems to work to avoid the lockups in Blade&Soul is to dial down the settings and dial up the GPU fan. Not sure if it is a software or a hardware problem, though.

how much GPU does it use at peak times when playing this game?

wherrera
Level 7
I think it is the newer Nvidia drivers that are causing lockups due to GPU overheating in some 11 games. I have had less of a problem after rolling back to an August 2015 Nvidia driver, so far, after one day. We will see.

wherrera
Level 7
jumps from 40 to 80 to 100, more with active animating