cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRUB hang after single keyboard press

BrianPez
Level 7
I have a Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard with WIndows 10 installed a M.2 SSD (
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB), Xubuntu 14 LTS (newest one available the second week of January) on a mechanical HD and two more mechanical HDs. Logitech wireless Wave KB/mouse plugged into one of the case's front USB 2 ports. BIOS updated to the latest available the second week of January.

GRUB locks up after a single key press. I have already disable fast boot, tried POST delays between 0 and 10 seconds. Secure boot is off (set to Other OS). Boot order is the BluRay player, the M.2 SSD, and one of the mechanical drives. I have Win10 setup as the default boot by GRUB, so if I don't touch the keyboad, it will boot into Win10. But I need the Xubuntu boot for work.

I was able to key the keyboard to work in GRUB yesterday. But no idea how it worked. Multiple reboots. Multiple times in the BIOS. Even unplugged the power for a couple of minutes. But this morning, none of these worked.

No idea what to try next. Extremely aggravated at this point.

- B
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Perhaps the keyboard isn't compatible. Have you tried testing with another?

The keyboard is a hold over from my previous PC (which I just replaced). Worked fine with the old system. And the keyboard works in bios and works fine the rare times I actually can get GRUB to work.

- B

BrianPez wrote:
The keyboard is a hold over from my previous PC (which I just replaced). Worked fine with the old system. And the keyboard works in bios and works fine the rare times I actually can get GRUB to work.

- B

BrianPez,

I had keyboard/mouse usb detection issues in Windows 7, where one out of every 10 boots my USB devices wouldn't be detected and I would have to restart.

What fixed this was setting XHCI hand off to "enabled" in BIOS in the advance USB section, IIRC. Not sure if this would make a difference for GRUB, but it is a BIOS setting, worth a try!

Let me know if that works! Please report back.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
BrianPez,

I had keyboard/mouse usb detection issues in Windows 7, where one out of every 10 boots my USB devices wouldn't be detected and I would have to restart.

What fixed this was setting XHCI hand off to "enabled" in BIOS in the advance USB section, IIRC. Not sure if this would make a difference for GRUB, but it is a BIOS setting, worth a try!

Let me know if that works! Please report back.

Didn't fix the problem. I have determined that as long as I use the keyboard slowly in GRUB (say one keypress a second), it works fine. Any faster and it is frozen GRUB.

Not ideal, but I can live with it.