Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    GRUB hang after single keyboard press

    I have a Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard with WIndows 10 installed a M.2 SSD (
    Samsung 950 PRO 256GB), Xubuntu 14 LTS (newest one available the second week of January) on a mechanical HD and two more mechanical HDs. Logitech wireless Wave KB/mouse plugged into one of the case's front USB 2 ports. BIOS updated to the latest available the second week of January.

    GRUB locks up after a single key press. I have already disable fast boot, tried POST delays between 0 and 10 seconds. Secure boot is off (set to Other OS). Boot order is the BluRay player, the M.2 SSD, and one of the mechanical drives. I have Win10 setup as the default boot by GRUB, so if I don't touch the keyboad, it will boot into Win10. But I need the Xubuntu boot for work.

    I was able to key the keyboard to work in GRUB yesterday. But no idea how it worked. Multiple reboots. Multiple times in the BIOS. Even unplugged the power for a couple of minutes. But this morning, none of these worked.

    No idea what to try next. Extremely aggravated at this point.

    - B

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    Perhaps the keyboard isn't compatible. Have you tried testing with another?

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Perhaps the keyboard isn't compatible. Have you tried testing with another?
    The keyboard is a hold over from my previous PC (which I just replaced). Worked fine with the old system. And the keyboard works in bios and works fine the rare times I actually can get GRUB to work.

    - B

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Vinny1001 PC Specs
    Vinny1001 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    ProcessorIntel Skylake 6700k 4.0GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 2x 8GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX 1080 Ti
    MonitorBenQ XL2411
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro, 840 Pro, M.2 840 Evo
    Storage #22x 1TB WD Black
    CPU CoolerCorsair H60
    CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 Modular
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240
    Mouse Pad Swiftpoint The Z Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Logitech Surround Z506
    OS Windows 10 Pro, version 1703
    Network RouterAsus RT N66U

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    166

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPez View Post
    The keyboard is a hold over from my previous PC (which I just replaced). Worked fine with the old system. And the keyboard works in bios and works fine the rare times I actually can get GRUB to work.

    - B
    BrianPez,

    I had keyboard/mouse usb detection issues in Windows 7, where one out of every 10 boots my USB devices wouldn't be detected and I would have to restart.

    What fixed this was setting XHCI hand off to "enabled" in BIOS in the advance USB section, IIRC. Not sure if this would make a difference for GRUB, but it is a BIOS setting, worth a try!

    Let me know if that works! Please report back.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny1001 View Post
    BrianPez,

    I had keyboard/mouse usb detection issues in Windows 7, where one out of every 10 boots my USB devices wouldn't be detected and I would have to restart.

    What fixed this was setting XHCI hand off to "enabled" in BIOS in the advance USB section, IIRC. Not sure if this would make a difference for GRUB, but it is a BIOS setting, worth a try!

    Let me know if that works! Please report back.
    Didn't fix the problem. I have determined that as long as I use the keyboard slowly in GRUB (say one keypress a second), it works fine. Any faster and it is frozen GRUB.

    Not ideal, but I can live with it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •