cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy the biggest baddest monitor I can find

mrdontay
Level 7
Hey Guys, When I buy a monitor I keep it for 6 - 8 years or longer. I want to buy two 27inch bad boys. I have always bought ASUS in the
past but I wanted to ask the community here. Should I go for the 27inch ROG monitor or the BenQ XL 2730z inch? I don't have to go with a 4k monitor, I could wait for the prices to drop a bit on those. The BenQ XL 2720z (non 4k) is only 500.00 bucks so I could live with that. Give me your thoughts?

Keep O'va Clockin' peace.
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello mrdontay

Choosing a monitor depends on your gpu(s), personally I prefer one big screen vs two or three screens as the bezels kind of take away from the experience but that's just me though. You could even go with a large TV but the response times are usually slower than a pc monitor and have more ghosting or motion blur. An IPS display will have better color accuracy than a TN display.

You could go with one 32" or 34" monitor and not have the bezels in the middle of your screen. List us your gpu(s) this will give us a better idea of a monitor to suggest.

34" curved widescreen 3440 x 1440 IPS

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Nate152
I was going to suggest that Chino but I wasn't sure if it was released yet, that would be one of the biggest but most importantly the baddest !

Nate152 wrote:
I was going to suggest that Chino but I wasn't sure if it was released yet, that would be one of the biggest but most importantly the baddest !

Indeed, but also 50% more expensive than the dell monitor you suggested before. These monitor prices are just crazy. Do you think the dell ultrawide would do good in gaming?

Jrod0247
Level 7
Chino, I saw that Monitor and I think I am going to wait for that one too

Veovis
Level 10
This is a 4k one I went for: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-P2415Q-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00PC9HFNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14547...

Why? Pixel density, color depth and price. It has IPS led's which gives a broad range for contrast and the 228 PPI means that there is little to no screen door effect. Text actually looks smooth rather than blocky on it.

It comes with software/drivers so you can designate how to split the screen up for production or using applications with windows. That said if you're looking for seamless side by side? I recommend a ultrawide as Chino and Nate have agreed on. This is one I found within your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-29-Inch-Ultra-wide-LED-Lit-S29E790C/dp/B00TR0518U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

It's not 3440 x 1440, nor 34" but it has the same aspect ratio. And its got a relatively high color depth.

Mr_Whiterain
Level 7
I'm looking at Asus VG248QE, it's 1080p 144hz. I'm on a GTX 660m, It can push 4k but only at 30hz, make sure your gpu can push the pixels, I think 4k 30hz is the standard at the moment? I can't do any less than 60hz refresh rate, my eyes ache.. I do want to eventually experience 4k in gaming though, that's got to be hella crisp.

There's also 1440p ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 PLS/ IPS, awesome reviews.

Resolution comparison, I'm gaming on 720p! lol

Nate152
Hello Mr.Whitrain

a 4k monitor can run at 60Hz with displayport 1.2 or HDMI 2.0, if you tried gaming at 4k with your GTX 660m it would bend over backwards and cry for help.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Mr.Whitrain

a 4k monitor can run at 60Hz with displayport 1.2 or HDMI 2.0, if you tried gaming at 4k with your GTX 660m it would bend over backwards and cry for help.

lol I know! Awesome, I thought the 660m could only do 4k in 30hz, but using the mini display port it can push 60hz.

Maybe I could push Quake Live and CSGO in 4k, I dunno. I'm just looking at 144hz 1080p screens right now.