I have an issue when using the XMP profile for 2400Mhz. Configuration below:

- Asus ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER
- Intel i7 4790k
- CoolerMaster Nepton 120XL
- Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz - Part Number: HX324C11T3K2/16
- Asus STRIX GTX 970
- Samsung 850 PRO 256GB & WD Blue 1TB
- CoolerMaster V650

More details an the issue. When i use the XMP 1 profile with 2400Mhz, games start to suddenly crash. The screen just goes to Desktop and i am not getting any errors. This is occurring randomly and i haven't spotted any pattern. The game in question is CS:GO.

I have reverted the RAM settings to Auto, therefor the frequency is set to 1600Mhz and i am not having any issues at all. I haven't had a single crash in the past 2 weeks. Everything seems to be working smoothly. I have also tried the second XMP profile with the 2133Mhz, and i am getting the same situation as with the 2400Mhz settings. I guess it is some instability issue which occurs on time to time. Also, i have performed a memtest and i have not received any errors.

All other BIOS settings are set on Default and my CPU is not overclocked. Also, i have updated the BIOS to its latest version.

Any suggestions? It is really sad when you get a high performance ram and you are using it as a regular one.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello HriistijanP

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Instead of using X.M.P. try setting your ram manually, if it's still giving you trouble raise the Dram voltage a little along with the vccio and cpu system agent voltages and see if that gets you stabilized, raise each voltage in increments of .01v

Nate152 wrote:
Hello HriistijanP

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Instead of using X.M.P. try setting your ram manually, if it's still giving you trouble raise the Dram voltage a little along with the vccio and cpu system agent voltages and see if that gets you stabilized, raise each voltage in increments of .01v

Thank you for your feedback.

Will set the settings manually (will check all of the settings which are changed by using XMP - freq, timings, voltages...) and let you know.

Thank you again.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
If your memory is supposed to run at 2400 and won't then I'd rma it if your settings for it were correct when your issues were occurring.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

dks01
Level 7
What kind of a power supply are you using? How many watts does it put out?

Nate152
He has the coolermaster V650 and with a gtx 970 that should be fine.

System wattage with the gpu in full stress is around 450 watts with a 3960x overclocked to 4.6GHz according to the guru 3d review so he should be using less watts.

It could possibly be a faulty ram stick too.

I have done a memtest, only 1 pass and no errors were detected. Though, when i started the memtest, the ram freq was set to Auto (1600) in BIOS. I am not sure if the memtest checks from 1600 to 2400 or only the current settings you have.

I doubt it is a faulty stick, since i have ZERO issues when it is set to 1600. The trouble starts when using the XMP profiles and it seems to be random, therefor my thinking it is a stability issue matter.

I have not tested with setting the values manually rather than using the XMP profile in case somehow the outcome changes, but definitely will give it a shot.

Also, i forgot to mention something else.

The RAM i have - HX324C11T3K2/16, this part number is not listed within the user manual under Supported 2400Mhz RAM. In fact, this part number is not anywhere listed within the user manual.

Though, i think the HyperX Best 2400Mhz is supported, but under a different part number. The one which is listed, i think it is the same HyperX Best 2400, but only with a green PCB.

Still, i do not think that could be an issue...

Nate152
Try your ram in the other two slots and try setting it manually, if you're not sure how do this:

On the extreme tweaker tab set the Dram frequency to 2400, scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.65v. Then go to Dram Timing Control and at the very top enter these timings. It only gives three timings so enter:

command rate 2

Let us know if this gets the ram going.

I've tried changing the settings manually yesterday. Basically, what i did, was, check all of the changes that are done by using the XMP and input those values manually.

Still, no luck. After 5 min of gaming CSGO, this time it did not crash, everything froze. I had to hard reset it.

Though, under the DRAM Timing Control Tab, there are 3 set of timings. I have only changed the ones under the 1st. Should have i change the timing under the 2nd and 3rd as well?

I've noticed 1 weird thing. When i get back to BIOS to revert everything i changed, under the Monitor Hardware section, the DRAM voltage was 1.662V, even though i set it to 1.65V. Then, i checked the DRAM voltage again and it was set to 1.6500V...

Thank you again.