cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Formula Lighting Control Guide

Nate152
Here I would like to show you how easy it is to use the RGB lighting feature on the Maximus VIII Formula. It's a cool feature and a nice touch from ROG, it allows you to customize the color theme of your build instead of the traditional red and black.

First you will need to install the AURA software program from the motherboard disk or you can get it from the Asus driver downloads page in the utilities. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/

Once installed open the program with the AURA desktop icon.

On the left you see Logo and Header1, Logo controls the motherboard LED's and Header1 controls an LED strip. You have six effects to play with, each effect can be used with both with each having their own effect.

Choose any color by rotating the little red ball on the color dial with your mouse.

Static - choose your color, the lights stay on constantly.
Breathing - choose your color, the lights slowly fade off and on.
Strobing - choose your color, the lights flash off and on.
Color Cycle - slowly changes through all colors of the color dial.
Music Effect - lights pulse to the beat of your music, music must be played on your pc to get the effect, color is random.
CPU Temperature - changes to three colors according to your cpu temperature.
Green- cpu is cool (20c - 40c)
Yellow - cpu is warm (40c - 60c)
Red - cpu is warmer (60c+)

Click apply after choosing your effect.

The first vertical bar to the right of the color dial is for light intensity, light intensity is shown with the big red ball in the center of the color dial, use your mouse to dim the lights down low or crank them to their brightest. The second bar to the far right is to change to the color white. You can turn off the lights for the Logo and/or Header1 by selecting OFF at the top.

Check the "Sync LED effects" box to control the Logo and Header1 simultaneously, both will have the same effect, color and light intensity.

Note: The RGB header is rated at 2 amps (24 watts) and supports 5050 LED strips up to two meters long with a 4-pin RGB connector, the LED strip is optional and is not included. A 4-pin RGB extension is supplied with the motherboard accessories.
67 REPLIES 67

wolfy
Level 8
Hope they do a BIOS update so they turn off when the pc is not turned on
ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA
CPU: Intel 9900K @4.7 ghz
2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200
C16 BK DC - 16GB
1 x Aurous 2080Super 8GB
1x 500GB Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe
1x 500GB AData 8200pro M.2NVMe
2 X 500 GB SSD
1000w PSU from corsair
Tower Lian Li PC-O11DW Dynamic
1 x dell 34" curved + 1 x 24"
CPU and Motherboard.
NZXT Kraken X73 RG

wolfy wrote:
Hope they do a BIOS update so they turn off when the pc is not turned on

You already have it:

In the BIOS search for Advanced > APM > and enable ErP. Every mobo light will turn off with the rest of the PC.

BUT: take into account that if you do this you'll have to reconfigure your leds setup everytime you turn your PC on. :mad:

seanbarkley wrote:
You already have it:

In the BIOS search for Advanced > APM > and enable ErP. Every mobo light will turn off with the rest of the PC.

BUT: take into account that if you do this you'll have to reconfigure your leds setup everytime you turn your PC on. :mad:

Hi all
I guess you don't mean this as a permanent solution since if I enable ErP then on hibernation state (which I guess lots of people use) there isn't any voltage on the
USB ports so I cant charge anything while pc is off or even worse I can't power on my pc through USB keyboard.

Thanks

Anyone know how to get the lights to sync ? i've got a cablemod RGB magnetic trip today and when doing colour cycle the lights don't match up with the board ones.

I've done the normal Sync LED effects (Logo and RGB Headers) bit.

Cheers

Andy

Panda666uk wrote:
Anyone know how to get the lights to sync ? i've got a cablemod RGB magnetic trip today and when doing colour cycle the lights don't match up with the board ones.

I've done the normal Sync LED effects (Logo and RGB Headers) bit.

Cheers

Andy

In the next post maybe someone from Asus will say that it wasn't supposed to.sync each other colors in this z170 mobo, just on x99 which
is next gen are supposed.to.work together:(
Common tactic in other open threads with such questions:(

So wish they would fix this sync issue with the onboard RGB LED's and the Header LED's !!

Bahz
Level 12
Great guide Nate! Thanks for sharing it with everyone! 😄

Nate152

chrsplmr
Level 18
Nate ... empty your inbox brother .. the President may be trying to PM you .. it may be a matter of National Security ...
or he just wants to know where to get some good Gator Tail ... idk.

You never will if .... YOU DON'T EMPTY YOUR INBOX ... outbox too, maybe. lol. .c.

ps. .. this post will self destruct from this thread once I know you read it. hahaha