cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z906+Phobeus analog vs optical

skouras
Level 7
Hello guys im enjoying my Phobeus card with Z906 Logitech speakers while im watching movies and playing games
right now im using analog connection alongside with Dolby theater and i like the sound
however i was wondering if it would be the best to use optical with this soundcard?

so optical or analog with those speakers?
8 REPLIES 8

Glasofruix
Level 8
Keep the analog output, with optical you'd need ddl live in order to get surround sound ans for some obscure (and frankly crappy) reason asus removed that functionnality....

Menthol
Level 14
skours, I am using the same speaker system, i have 2 computers connected to it, one analog and the other optical obviously, both ASUS on board sound, as Glasofruix says I don't get surround through the optical connection but still very good sound form either

Menthol wrote:
skours, I am using the same speaker system, i have 2 computers connected to it, one analog and the other optical obviously, both ASUS on board sound, as Glasofruix says I don't get surround through the optical connection but still very good sound form either

thanks guys i will stick with analog (i thought that if you connect optical and enable dolby theater v4 you get surround)
by the way did you encounter any problems with the z906 so far?
i have seen a lot of people saying that their units totally fail after 6 months or 1 year...

Menthol
Level 14
I have had mine for several years, one move, sounds great, multiple input sources, wireless remote, what's not to love

Menthol wrote:
I have had mine for several years, one move, sounds great, multiple input sources, wireless remote, what's not to love

thanks mate for the reply
one question more do you get any heat on the back on the sub on the plate after sometime during play?

juzz86
Level 7
Can't you use DTS Connect for 5.1 over optical? I'm pretty sure that's what I did with my Phoebus. I seem to remember that some games required the Virtual 7.1 Speaker Shifter to bring the center channel back.

The plate on the back of the sub is a heatsink, designed to wick away heat from the amplifiers. Having it heat up is very normal ☺

juzz86 wrote:
Can't you use DTS Connect for 5.1 over optical? I'm pretty sure that's what I did with my Phoebus. I seem to remember that some games required the Virtual 7.1 Speaker Shifter to bring the center channel back.

The plate on the back of the sub is a heatsink, designed to wick away heat from the amplifiers. Having it heat up is very normal ☺

thanks man and no i didnt try DTS with optical i will give a go though and report back maybe this weekend
however i try with Dolby home theater and it was a mess
the volume didnt respond at all and the speakers didnt play correct some was weaker than others
maybe it was something that i did wrong....?(also set the spidf as default devise)

juzz86
Level 7
Yeah I tend to steer clear of Dolby, only because it seems to be a poorer encoder for up scaling compared to DTS. For me personally, DTS Connect over optical has been plug and play for every sound card on all my Logitech speakers. It's worth a shot mate, just don't forget the virtual 7.1 thing for the center channel. Let us know how you go ☺