Threaded View

ROG Member Array

Q Code 99 issue and how I solved it.

This is my first high endish gaming computer, my old Asus G51 was not playing games on high or even medium well anymore so I decided to upgrade and thats what leads to this post. Here is my setup.

VIII Hero Motherboard
    I5-6600K
    Gskill 32Gb Ram 4x8
    WD 1TB HD
    1 DVD Drive
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212
    Fractal R5 Gaming case
    Evga Supernova 750 PSU
    XFX R9 390

I installed everything over a full day carefully putting everything in its place and hooking up the correct wires, everything looked amamazing and I was ready for the first boot up. I press the bootup button and it lights up with beautiful fan and MB led lights. It goes through the codes all the way up to Q 99 with the Boot LED lit then the fans slow down and nothing...No display, no beeps, just...nothing. Hmm thats weird. So I try it a few more times and the same issue. I talk to asus support and realize that my RAM is not on the QVL (Although GSKILL says it will work). They say I need to RMA it. I decided to order some QVL Ram and have it overnighted to my house.

I am at work all day waiting to come home to try the RAM. I get home and put it in...nothing...same issue. Q code 99. I decide to inspect the MB Pins and fire it up outside the case. So I take the motherboard out and unplug evreything. I inspect the pins and they are in perfect condition thanks to the ASUS CPU tool. I start it on a nice piece of cardboard...and still q code 99 with no display. (At this point I am only using 1 piece of RAM and the CPU and CPU cooler). I contact amazon and they will swap me motherboards for no fee since everthing is telling me its defective.

I take everything off and put it in boxes in the guest room and it sinks in that all these new steam games wont be able to be played for a few weeks .

After a few hours of searching on the internet and getting no where I come across a old post talking about making sure your keyboard and mouse were plugged in. So i say, well I guess I can try that. So a hour later I have gotten everything put back together and this time I plug the Keyboard and mouse into the MB USB drives.....It starts up and goes into BIOS. I ordered 120$ worth of extra ram because Asus told me it was because my ram wasnt on the QVL and also that I should just RMA it......

I GOT Q CODE 99 BECAUSE MY MOUSE AND KEYBOARD WERE NOT PLUGGED INTO THE USB ON THE MOTHERBOARD, WHICH CAUSED NO DISPLAY AND NOT TO PASS POST

I decided to post this so it will show up on google if some other people get this Q code and have their mouse and keyboard hooked up to their case USB's.
    Last edited by dannythedonk; 02-06-2016 at 04:49 AM.