cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard won't POST and gets stuck in an endless reboot loop (brief 00 q-code)

Lollies
Level 7
Hello everyone (:. I've come here because I'm all out of ideas and I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me.

What happened: I'm on a Maximus VII Gene. I had been using my PC as usual and then, one day, after a year and a couple of months of regular use, when I was going to turn it on it just wouldn't. It wouldn't even give me an error onscreen. I could hear the PSU trying to start each time and failing. I started trying all of the answers posted in the internet, including the long lists that people post each time someone has one of these problems in a new build to check everything. I tested my PSU and it would work just fine so I took my motherboard out and tested it with the bare minimum plugged in. After a while of testing I figured out everything would "work" (quotation marks as, when I say work, I mean all fans turn on and whatnot) as long as the CPU power wasn't connected, even if I plugged in all of my components (including my power-hungry graphics card) but, as soon as I tried to plug in the CPU power, it would go back to the endless reboot loop.

That I can think of right now, I've tried the following things.

-Connecting the bare minimum components.
-Trying a different PSU, same problem and I'm sure that was a good PSU since it was powering a different PC.
-Checking for blown capacitors/damaged parts/possible shorts.
-Checking the CPU and its socket for any kind of dust/damage.
-Swapping between four different memory sticks.
-Jumping the PSU, works flawlessly.
-Reseating everything.
-Reseating the CMOS battery. Swapping the CMOS battery. Draining the CMOS for a couple of hours and trying both the old and the new batteries. turning it on WITHOUT a battery.
-Trying the LN2 switch trick where I would swap it to on the press Q-Reset and then swap it to off.
-Flashing the motherboard with 3 different BIOS versions with the BIOS Flashback tool ibncluded (the two latest BIOS and the first one)
-Swapping the CPU power cable for a different one.

I've documented the situation in a video where I first try to turn my PC on with the bare minimum components and it just refuses to start and then I plug out the CPU power and all of the fans start working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C24h8CKrHOU

I'm guessing things point to a motherboard problem but I want to try anything you guys can suggest because I don't live in the US and sendind my motherboard for an RMA could take months and could cost around $100 which is kind of a bummer for me. Any ideas (:?

Any and every kind of help is deeply appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time.

EDIT: My components:

-EVGA 1000 G2 PSU.
-Intel I7 4790K CPU.
-Asus Maximus VII Gene Motherboard.
-16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600.
-Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC GPU.
-Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD.
-WD Blue 1TB HD.
-Corsair Obsidian 350D case.
1 REPLY 1

Nate152
Hello Lollies, welcome to the ROG forum.

I notice with the 8-pin cpu power cable connected the motherboard isn't giving you a code which would point to either the psu or motherboard.

If a bios update didn't help you it's one of the two.