cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc build help

Elemonto
Level 7
hello i am here posting about what parts i should get for my pc i already have a nzxt phantom 820 case in white and a rampage v extreme motherboard i want to go with a purple and white themed computer but since there not any purple motherboards i decided to use the rampage v extreme and there will be a bit of red in it so anything i can't find in purple or just don't want to have in white since my case is white i will do red instead but i don't really have a budget i would like to stay around three thousand or so but if it ends up being more thats fine to there is no set price that i picked it's just whatever i want really and i will take all your suggestions i probably won't be using them all of course but i like the best of the best really 1 of the reasons i got the rampage v extreme because it is a nice motherboard but anyways before i get to off topic here i also want to be able to be able to play games and watch videos in 4k so please let me know i am new to building my own computer but want to do it so let me know give me your suggestions thanks. :cool:
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hello Elemonto

Welcome to the ROG forum !

The Rampage V Extreme is a nice motherboard but you could have gone with the new maximus viii formula which allows you to customize your theme to any color including purple with the RGB lighting. But seeing how you want to game at 4k resolution you're going to need some serious gpu horsepower to have a good gaming experience. You'll want to keep at the monitors refresh rate (60hz) and to do that with all games you will need three 980ti's, two 980ti's can do it but not with all games. Some games are already pushing the limit of 6GB of Vram at 4k but then you have the Titan x's with 12GB of Vram which as of right now is the best of the best. With three gpu's it would be a good idea to liquid cool them as they're sandwiched in there tight and the top two gpu's will starve for air and run very warm to hot, I was running three 680's and the top two gpu's were pushing 90c playing games.

You'll want the 5930k or 5960x with 40 pcie lanes, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Ram, Samsung 950 pro pcie ssd, for watching movies a good blu-ray player such as the Asus BW-16D1HT

For a psu I like the EVGA supernovas for the 10 yr warranty, the 1600 watt T2 would be a little overkill but you'll have plenty of room for overclocking and it will run cool and quiet, I wouldn't go any lower than a quality 1200w psu with three gpu's.

Your case supports a 360 radiator at the top and a 280/340 radiator at the bottom so you could actually liquid cool everything if you have space to mount a reservoir. Custom cooling costs alot and expect an additional 1500.00 if you decide to do it. EK has a full cover monoblock for the rampage v extreme that cools the cpu ,vrm's and southbridge.

So liquid cooling is something to think about, if you weren't going 4k I wouldn't recommend three gpu's. 🙂

Here is the witcher 3 with 3 way sli titan x, D3D11 is the frames per second.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Elemonto

Welcome to the ROG forum !

The Rampage V Extreme is a nice motherboard but you could have gone with the new maximus viii formula which allows you to customize your theme to any color including purple with the RGB lighting. But seeing how you want to game at 4k resolution you're going to need some serious gpu horsepower to have a good gaming experience. You'll want to keep at the monitors refresh rate (60hz) and to do that with all games you will need three 980ti's, two 980ti's can do it but not with all games. Some games are already pushing the limit of 6GB of Vram at 4k but then you have the Titan x's with 12GB of Vram which as of right now is the best of the best. With three gpu's it would be a good idea to liquid cool them as they're sandwiched in there tight and the top two gpu's will starve for air and run very warm to hot, I was running three 680's and the top two gpu's were pushing 90c playing games.

You'll want the 5930k or 5960x with 40 pcie lanes, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Ram, Samsung 950 pro pcie ssd, for watching movies a good blu-ray player such as the Asus BW-16D1HT

For a psu I like the EVGA supernovas for the 10 yr warranty, the 1600 watt T2 would be a little overkill but you'll have plenty of room for overclocking and it will run cool and quiet, I wouldn't go any lower than a quality 1200w psu with three gpu's.

Your case supports a 360 radiator at the top and a 280/340 radiator at the bottom so you could actually liquid cool everything if you have space to mount a reservoir. Custom cooling costs alot and expect an additional 1500.00 if you decide to do it. EK has a full cover monoblock for the rampage v extreme that cools the cpu ,vrm's and southbridge.

So liquid cooling is something to think about, if you weren't going 4k I wouldn't recommend three gpu's. 🙂

Here is the witcher 3 with 3 way sli titan x, D3D11 is the frames per second.

Yes i had realized that last night but i didn't know and i had already bought my rampage v extreme so can't go back now sadly and water cooling i heard was hard to maintain so not sure if i would want it but maybe in the future i will get watervooling or the maximus moatherboard but i would like to have yhe option of being able to have 3 monitors even if i don't start out with 3 but i could add more later when i want to

kkn
Level 14
for 1x 4K monitor you need a titan card, or 2x 980TI cards.
what sort of cooling are you after? air? AIO? or custom water? ( last is a costy option ).

for color inside the case you could do RGB led strips inside of it.

there is a new GPU line coming out from nvidia but im not shure when and the "titan card" is rumored to have 24 or 36 gigs of ram on it ( if im not remembering wrong that is ).

what sort of games do you play? ( MMORP, FPS, +++ ).

what sort of ssd/hdd/m.2 drives are you thinking of?

triple monitor setup is a overkill for first builders.

kkn wrote:
for 1x 4K monitor you need a titan card, or 2x 980TI cards.
what sort of cooling are you after? air? AIO? or custom water? ( last is a costy option ).

for color inside the case you could do RGB led strips inside of it.

there is a new GPU line coming out from nvidia but im not shure when and the "titan card" is rumored to have 24 or 36 gigs of ram on it ( if im not remembering wrong that is ).

what sort of games do you play? ( MMORP, FPS, +++ ).

what sort of ssd/hdd/m.2 drives are you thinking of?

triple monitor setup is a overkill for first builders.

I am not to sure but i would eventually like to have the option to hook up 3 montiors even if i don't at the start and i heard water cooling was hard to maintain so yeah but i play fps indie all them i just play an essortment of different games

Nate152
Liquid cooling is not hard to maintain, you can use distilled water or there are some quality high performance coolants that only need changing once every three years. I use liquid cooling and one way to keep it simple is to get an external cooling unit like the one I have in my specs. Just install your water blocks, fittings and tubing, fill it with coolant or distilled water and you're ready to go.

If you plan on using three 4k monitors for gaming don't expect 60 FPS even with 3 or 4 titan x's. The 980ti and titan x have three display port 1.2 ports, you can run them in SLI or have a gpu for each monitor. Having a gpu for each monitor would probably give you better performance as with sli each additional gpu is less of a performance gain.

Here is an upgraded version of what I have.
http://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liquid-cooling-system-copper

Pics of my pc with the koolance erm-2k3u, I used blue koolance coolant but you can use any color you want including purple.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82540-Maximus-VIII-Formula

Koolance purple coolant
http://koolance.com/liq-702-liquid-coolant-bottle-high-performance-700ml-purple

Nate152 wrote:
Liquid cooling is not hard to maintain, you can use distilled water or there are some quality high performance coolants that only need changing once every three years. I use liquid cooling and one way to keep it simple is to get an external cooling unit like the one I have in my specs. Just install your water blocks, fittings and tubing, fill it with coolant or distilled water and you're ready to go.

If you plan on using three 4k monitors for gaming don't expect 60 FPS even with 3 or 4 titan x's. The 980ti and titan x have three display port 1.2 ports, you can run them in SLI or have a gpu for each monitor. Having a gpu for each monitor would probably give you better performance as with sli each additional gpu is less of a performance gain.

Here is an upgraded version of what I have.
http://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liquid-cooling-system-copper

Pics of my pc with the koolance erm-2k3u, I used blue koolance coolant but you can use any color you want including purple.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82540-Maximus-VIII-Formula

Koolance purple coolant
http://koolance.com/liq-702-liquid-coolant-bottle-high-performance-700ml-purple

Hmm alright water cooling seems good then plus only need to change coolent every 2-3 years which is good but i probably would just use the 3rd monitor for console gaming and not have it hooked up to my pc so i would really only have 2 monitors hooked up to my pc not 3 but would still have 3 monitors in total so that would help out my frame rate and everything else

Nate152
I never gamed on a 2 or 3 monitor surround setup but the bezels that divide the picture could take away from the experience. One thing with two screens is playing first person shooters the crosshair for your gun will always be in the center of the bezels so I'm not sure how well two screens would work with first person shooter games.

It would probably be best to either go with one large screen or three screens.

This looks like a nice triple screen setup with three 32" 4k IPS monitors, games would be playable with 3 titan x's or 980ti's but they won't be fluid at 60 FPS. There are a lot of monitors to choose from and this is only an example. For a constant 60 FPS it might be best to go with one large 4k monitor.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-trio32uhd.asp

Nate152 wrote:
I never gamed on a 2 or 3 monitor surround setup but the bezels that divide the picture could take away from the experience. One thing with two screens is playing first person shooters the crosshair for your gun will always be in the center of the bezels so I'm not sure how well two screens would work with first person shooter games.

It would probably be best to either go with one large screen or three screens.

This looks like a nice triple screen setup with three 32" 4k IPS monitors, games would be playable with 3 titan x's or 980ti's but they won't be fluid at 60 FPS. There are a lot of monitors to choose from and this is only an example. For a constant 60 FPS it might be best to go with one large 4k monitor.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-trio32uhd.asp

Yeah 1 wide angled monitor would be what i would go for if i was to just have 1 monitor since i have a giant tv for my consoles just kinda big but idk maybe i could just have my 1 monitor but then get a second one for consoles and have it off to the side idk id have to see about that

Nate152
Yeah take your time and look around before making any final decisions.

Here is the rampage v extreme with the monoblock installed, imagine this with uv purple coolant and a uv led strip or two in your case.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ek+nickel+monoblock+photos&view=detailv2&id=2245B2585DBB5F9B5531...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ek+nickel+monoblock+photos&view=detailv2&&id=86BB9C8A0B19778AAE8...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ek+nickel+R5E+monoblock+photos&view=detailv2&&id=DB12E3159A560C6...

There are two versions of the R5E nickel monoblock, one is nickel and one is nickel original CSQ. The nickel one is clear , the original CSQ has a frosted look.