cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 8.1 vs Win 10 bootspeed | G751JT

z3ro-88
Level 7
Hello everybody.

Im still using Win 8.1 on my G751JT but im about to update it to Win 10.

My Notebook boot the Win 8.1 in 5 sec. This is one of the best things for me cuz i hate loading time haha.

My question... Is the boottime with Win 10 as fast as Win 8.1 or is it slower?
And is there any other negativ points on Win 10?

Sorry for my bad english... hope you guys understand me.
4 REPLIES 4

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello there new ROG citizen,
Please note that even an older version of your PipBoy (aka: your PC) might hold in its archive (aka: this sub-forum) answers to similar question that you might arise.

We @Vault-Tec, wish to remind you that no matter which PipBoy version you hold, the minute you have entered ROG country, you're able to SEARCH FOR ANYTHING using your own private PipBoy.... and it is really simple !
Just look at the right upper corner of your PipBoy, then enter your query in the "Search" field, Hit enter and viola!

We also wish to remind you, that nowadays in every house, you can find the old but good g.o.o.g.l.e which can assist you further in your search inquiries. just open-up your personal g.o.o.g.l.e and enter what-ever you wish to search with the addition of the epilogue" site:https://rog.asus.com/forum"

We @Vault-Tec, wish to state that these kind of query returns the best answers, to any situation you might find yourself during your wilderness trips, in the ASUS galaxy.
Thus, there is no need to mini-nuke your "opponent" ( aka open a new thread ) as there are already better known ways to eliminate your problems ( aka searching for the issue & reading about the solution - even if they're written for other PipBoy version ( aka other laptop models) )

You might ask your self - "why should I bother" ?
Well, leaving a reply in an already opened thread, with same/similar topic, can help the ROG community by having ONE THREAD that debates same subject, instead of many many others.
That way, the ROG community will have a "library of knowledge" on same topic - IN ONE PLACE.

We also, @Vault-Tec, worked really hard to concentrate the most important, most debated subjects, and PINNED SOME OF THE THREADS AT THE START OF THE 1st PAGE of this forum.

Just for example, in the sticky thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" you can see that:
Gps3dx wrote:

The "which OS should I choose" ?

In my opinion win 10 is faster in desktop/office work ( gaming: depends ) but the down side is the privacy headache.
There are multiple scripts you MUST run, if you care about your own privacy! (see few post below,WIP!)
Win8.1 is a bit slower in desktop/office use, but does NOT have such privacy "spying" as win 10.
Any way you choose, you MUST install it on a GPT formatted drive, and MUST boot the OS installation disk/usb through a "special" boot method ( I.E UEFI boot ).
HERE's A Benchmark review

and also
Gps3dx wrote:
The "why should I bother" ?

you've got ROG Laptop, best in the market, fitted with UEFI, "the newest form of BIOS". ( READ MORE HERE )
No reason to work with OS that is installed on a MBR formatted drive that's running on a BIOS emulated machine (like some preinstalled windows), if you wish the fastest laptop, OS & applications !

OS on a GPT formatted disk, booted with UEFI, is BETTER THEN MBR & BIOS !
Why ?

• Way Faster OS boot (I.E POST), with NO blinking underscore !
  • Better (auto) chances to recover info from bad/damaged sector/block !
    (Partition table is redundantly stored, checked using CRC)
  • No 2TiB limit on HDD size
  • and MORE: READ MORE HERE & HERE

As always, feel free to visit us at the ROG central forum for any future question ( which is best left in an ALREADY DEBATED THREAD WITH SIMILAR TOPIC to yours )

signing out,
VaultTec.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Why the hell do people care so much about boot speed???! Is your life so strapped for time that an extra 30 seconds to a minute is THAT much of a detriment to you?

It's a meaningless thing and not a relevant metric at all.

Sprayingmango wrote:
Why the hell do people care so much about boot speed???! Is your life so strapped for time that an extra 30 seconds to a minute is THAT much of a detriment to you?

It's a meaningless thing and not a relevant metric at all.

I can't say I agree more. If it hangs and you have to do a hard power down that's different. I don't like very long boot times myself but haven't too much of a difference. With most instances unless it's a slow 128GB PM951 SSD vs the SM951 or 950 pro or worse yet a 5400rpm spinner.

As for the OPs question there are a lot of posts about this. My boot time with Win10 pro is less than 15 seconds. I refused to use Win 8 or 8.1 and stayed with win 7 until 10 was released. IMO 8 was OK for the purpose it was devised for, touch screen.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

sily
Level 7