cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there ANY way to use Samsung NVME driver on G752VY w/ 950Pro???

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Since the BIOS for the G752VY is limited, and we can only select RAID...is there ANY way to force Windows 10 to use the Samsung NVME driver for optimal performance?

It's ridiculous that we have such an outdated BIOS. Samsung Magician cannot see the drive so it does not allow updating.

Windows 10 keeps saying the best driver is already in use when I try to change it in Device Manager.
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
Outdated? Two revisions for a machine that has been on the market for 2 months? The first to use NVMe technology? The answer as posted MANY times in the forum is no. NVMe drivers are native to Win 8.1 and later. No machine regardless of manufacturer with an M2 NVMe SSD ship with Samsung drivers or Magician software.

I challenge you to find any platform that's actually using the Samsung Drivers that gets substantially better performance. There are none, use the search at the top right and you can see multiple benchmarks posted here just be me proving that the native drivers work just fine. Intel CM236 chipset is not the only platform that the Samsung drivers do not work on and for the ones that it does they show zero improvement.

This is new technology and still evolving. In the meantime......

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

matrixleader
Level 8
Sprayingmango wrote:
Since the BIOS for the G752VY is limited, and we can only select RAID...is there ANY way to force Windows 10 to use the Samsung NVME driver for optimal performance?

It's ridiculous that we have such an outdated BIOS. Samsung Magician cannot see the drive so it does not allow updating.

Windows 10 keeps saying the best driver is already in use when I try to change it in Device Manager.

On my laptop, if I set the Samsung 950 PRO drives in RAID mode Samsung Magician will not see them nor will the Samsung NVMe driver be installed. It has always been like this since the days of the 840 PRO. Set your drives in RAID mode and Magician won't see them. SanDisk is the only company that truly supports RAID and allows their SanDisk Dashboard to see the SSDs in RAID mode and even be able to update their firmware.

So unless you want to use your drives in AHCI mode, then forget anything that comes from Samsung be it drivers or utilities.

Now while in AHCI mode, there is a huge performance improvement if you use the Samsung NVMe driver. But since they are in RAID mode, the IRST driver is what controls all the operations.