cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCLK Overclocking

Nate152
Has any of you with a Maximus VIII motherboard overclocked the BCLK? I have the Maximus VIII Formula and 6700k and I was successfully able to get the BCLK to 200.00. If you're not sure how to overclock the BCLK and want to it's easy and here's how I do it. First find the maximum overclock of your cpu, cpu cache and memory, if you're just overclocking the cpu only that's fine too.

At the top of the Extreme Tweaker tab in the bios take note of what the CPU, CPU Cache and Memory speeds are, these are shown in yellow and you can write them down if you like. Start out slow by raising the BCLK to 125.00 with the + and - keys, while you're raising the BCLK you can see the cpu, cpu cache and memory speeds all being raised.

Once the BCLK hits 125.00, stop. You will now have to set those speeds back to what you've written down or as close as you can. For the cpu simply lower the cpu multiplier, for the cpu cache simply lower the cpu cache multiplier, For the memory select Dram Frequency and choose the speed that is the closest to what you've written down.

F10 and Enter to save and Exit.

Raising the BCLK doesn't affect temps hardly at all if any so once you've got it, next try the BCLK at 150.00 by following above.

Here are my results and I would like to see all your results, thank you for sharing.

The BCLK in cpu-z is the Bus Speed
103 REPLIES 103

Menthol
Level 14
Nate,
Nice work, not to discount your overclock but at the same CPU clock is there a difference in any benchmark score if the blck is 100 or 200, or have you tested that at all

Nate152
Thanks Menthol !

I have not run any benchmarks or stress tests, my stress test is playing games and if my games don't crash I consider it stable. I would imagine you would see an increase in benchmark scores although I don't know how much.

If you decide to try it feel free to tell us how much it increased your scores.

No mention of the Fclk? Surely overclocking your bclk to 200 will set the fclk to 2000mhz, double what its supposed to be. From what I have read on these forums if you're using bios 1302 or 1402 any setting you make to the fclk (400mhz 800mhz or 1ghz) is not saved by the bios and resets itself to 1ghz when exiting the bios which I found out myself in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81488-Bios-1302-Wont-let-me-change-FCLK-Freq!!

illogik wrote:
No mention of the Fclk? Surely overclocking your bclk to 200 will set the fclk to 2000mhz, double what its supposed to be. From what I have read on these forums if you're using bios 1302 or 1402 any setting you make to the fclk (400mhz 800mhz or 1ghz) is not saved by the bios and resets itself to 1ghz when exiting the bios which I found out myself in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81488-Bios-1302-Wont-let-me-change-FCLK-Freq!!

That's true. But reverting to the 1202 BIOS does make the FCLK setting work again. So you should be able to leave it at Auto and it should try to keep the FCLK as close to 1000MHz as it can. I'm going to be trying that as I start my FCLK overclocking adventure all over again. I just wish I had known this when I first started experimenting with BCLK overclocking.

Nate152
The FCLK is all new to me and I haven't fooled with that yet.

Very nice MNMadman reaching 250 BCLK ! What other settings did you need to play with to get that stable because mine won't even boot with 225 BCLK.

Nice job once again !

Nate152 wrote:
The FCLK is all new to me and I haven't fooled with that yet.

Very nice MNMadman reaching 250 BCLK ! What other settings did you need to play with to get that stable because mine won't even boot with 225 BCLK.

Nice job once again !

LOL That's not me. But I have had mine successfully at 266 BCLK before. I just didn't want to leave it there with the FCLK at that super-high level. Since I've reverted to the 1202 BIOS and the FCLK setting now works, I'm going to start BCLK overclocking again.

To answer your question though, I used the recommendations from here for the PLL Termination Voltage, PLL Bandwidth, and CPU Standby Voltage. I found that through this link in the Competitive Overclocking section in this forum. Lots of good info in those links.

Nate152
Oh sorry about.

Nice job to you both !

I should have known where to find that guide and thank you. I'll give it a try here in a little bit, now you both have me striving for BCLK of 300. 🙂

Nate152
All right

I was able to get the BCLK to 228+. In the guide it says to set the PLL Termination voltage to 1.70v but at 1.45v it's already in the red so I don't feel comfortable setting it that high. Is 1.70v for PLL Termination safe?

Every time I set the PLL Bandwidth to level 6 or level 8 in the Tweakers Paradise it will not boot so everything in there is left on auto. The guide provides settings that says we should be able to get the BCLK to around 400 on air cooling.

I'll work it on up and see how far I can get it.