cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene Q Code error [video]

Kishshey
Level 7
Hello

I am getting an unusual q code error on my maximus V gene board. The q code starts from F1, work its way up to 20 and sets to F1 again. This repeats indefinitely. I have included a video of this below.

I've tried using only 1 Memory stick on the furthest slot, removing all usb components but the keyboard, and still no luck. Any idea what could be causing the issue.

Thanks

YouTube video - http://youtu.be/C0-RPKm0xFo
#welcomechallenges
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152

Kishshey
Level 7
Hello
Have tried clearing CMOS by pressing the button. I've also replaced the battery to a new one

thanks
#welcomechallenges

Nate152
Double check you have the pcie power cables fully connected to your gpu. If this doesn't help remove the gpu and try with the onboard graphics.

If no help try updating the bios.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

List your complete system specifications please.

Kishshey
Level 7
Hello, I tried a bench test. Removed all equipment abd then installed the cpu with a 1 stick of RAM and the stock cooler. Replaced the battery with a new one.
Still the board does not POST or beep. And the q code keeps rotating. I tried to update with Rog Connect and a usb drive. But I don't think it worked. I'll try again and reply

thanks
#welcomechallenges

Kishshey
Level 7
I formatted a thumb drive with my Mac, file system is MSDos Fat. I downloaded the latest 1903 bios, renamed it to M5G.CAP and placed it in the drive. I plugged the drive in to RC port and held the button for 3-5 seconds. The bios led flashed 3 times and it it kept illuminated. Should the light turn off? Or has my bios successfully flashed.

Even an if it had flashed properly. I'm still having the post issue.
#welcomechallenges

Nate152
You want to format the thumb drive to FAT32 and make sure there is nothing else on it.

It should flash for about 30 seconds or so then when it stops blinking the bios update has completed.

Kishshey
Level 7
Yeah, I remember few months back when I flashed bios, it took a little while and the LED was flashing fast, and then it turned off. But this time, it only blinks(slowly) 3 times, and stays on. I think its not flashing correctly.

I will try reformatting the drive with a windows PC, currently all i have is a mac.

Do you have any other suggestions.
Thanks
#welcomechallenges

Nate152
Well you stripped it down to a bare minimum and are still having the same problem, list your complete specifications and what you have connected. if it was working fine and the problem just started I wouldn't think it's a ground problem.

Double check all your cables are connected and seated, try a different monitor cable as you're not getting display.

But yeah wipe the thumb drive clean and format it to FAT32 and try flashing the bios again, this is what I'm leaning towards the most. It should stop on a code eventually and if it does what code does it stops on, this can point us in the direction of the problem too.

Kishshey
Level 7
Yes, The system worked well, and the problem came out of the blue. But I must say I've been having the Chassis Intruded problem for few weeks. The components I have connected are(on the test bench),
#3570K Processor
#1 stick of Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 4GB
#Intel Stock Cooler

I didn't bother connecting the display on the bench, I was expecting a successful Bios flash, and when(and if) it does flash correctly. I expected the Q-Code to stop at some point like you said.

Do you think this could be the Bios Chip?
#welcomechallenges