cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g skill and xmp settings halved total available memory

snafup
Level 7
I have the kit F4-3000C15Q-16GRR from gskill.
I installed the 4x4 sticks and in the bios used the xmp profile. (why not, that's what its for)
Oc 5930k to 4.5.
Thinking all is good ,boot up fine.
Everything seems good but i get the usb 3 drive bootup problem. You know, intermittent post and bootup issue.
Solve that by using a powered hub for power hungry drives.

Just happened to look at system resources today and see only 8 gb memory available.Hmmmm.
Cpuid shows 16 installed but only 8 available.
ada64 shows 16 installed but onlly 8 available.

All in right slots, seated fine.
What the hell, do cmos reset.
Now have total 16 gb available.

Any idea why? Or should i just adjust it myself.
10 REPLIES 10

drop4205
Level 12
Untick XMP and Manual input the ram settings in frequency, voltages and primary timings for the ram.
Im running the same chip. What is the voltage you have on the cpu at 4.5?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

snafup
Level 7
Hi.
I'm stable at 1.3 volts. I might try it lower but with water cooling i never get above 70 Celsius on a stress test.40-45 on idle.
I might give the memory a go but it runs fast as it is. I'm still in the top 90 percentile on 3dmark.For photo editing it's still a beast.Everything happens as you do it.
No lag.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS. Does your system pick up all the modules at 2133MHz?

Hi,
Yes it did, Immediately.

Craig
Level 8
Sounds like you need to adjust the System Agent Voltage a bit. The same happened to me until I reached the right voltage.

Craig wrote:
Sounds like you need to adjust the System Agent Voltage a bit. The same happened to me until I reached the right voltage.

Hi,
Here's whats happening.
At plug in auto settings i see all 16 gb ram, and all channels are working.System sees everything fine.

When i turn on xmp OR go manual i lose either channel A, Channel C or both.
Sometimes i get 12 gb with either A Or C working. most times just 8gb with both channels not showing.

This is with timings of15-15-15-35 2
voltage is 1.35 on both channels a@c and B@d
system agent voltage of 1.15 I've tried as far as 1.25, with no difference in whether or not the channels work.

Pleot
Level 8
I have 3300 hz corsair ram (16Gb). That used to happen to me so I pumped dram voltage up to 1.4 and it was fine. Then I tweaked on eventual voltage to run ram after boot (no need to have it always running 1.4 since after boot it will be fine lower

Pleot wrote:
I have 3300 hz corsair ram (16Gb). That used to happen to me so I pumped dram voltage up to 1.4 and it was fine. Then I tweaked on eventual voltage to run ram after boot (no need to have it always running 1.4 since after boot it will be fine lower

How did you weak it to run lower after bootup. Were you using asus suite?

Pleot
Level 8
I dont use aisuite, completely uninstaled it, can be a source of unstability in some cases.

In the bios you can find the "dram timing control" Further down there are the settings of the "Dram eventual voltage" If you set values there those will be used after boot. Try setting dram valtage to 1.4 and eventaul to 1.35 - if it works then tweak by lowering where possible. Remember to check the voltage limits of your ram - dont go frying it 🙂