cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know why Asus has RoG desktops and then "Gaming" Desktops?

Requim
Level 7
So I was just curious about how the Asus websites seems to have everything set up. As I was browsing for a new power desktop with expandability I noticed the Asus Website has 3 different "brands" Vivo, RoG, and "Gaming." Question is, does anyone know what the main difference is between them. Especially RoG and "Gaming."

Here are the links if anyone is lost as to what I am talking about.
4 REPLIES 4

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG Requim ..
It's all about the price points and specs from what I see. For those that don't have the time or inclination to DIY.
I'm sure you wouldn't find them all on one shelf for sale or area for that matter.
This is ROG .. not just gaming. For those with the time and the inclination to build, OC, Bench .. oh, and Game.
Depends on your Flavor. Best of luck. .c.

Veovis
Level 10
My personal opinion: Style and Demographic.
The pre-built desktops are for certain people in mind.

Vivo is geared for the savvy business worker, with the option to play games in some as a "perk." Most of these are built for productivity and responsiveness over gaming capability.

ROG: This has been used several times to divide from the gaming desktops that Asus does. Usually with a little bit more flair (the jagged line pattern) in design and usage of the thematic red and black, or the Strix gunmetal grey and metallic orange. These machines are built to be quiet but powerful, minimalist yet robust. Basically: It looks good, is small, and performs well.

Gaming: For those that like somewhere in between these worlds. The desktops are more like the standard tower while keeping the red and black look. Still keeping the desktop standard layout without any special placing. Basically a desktop with the cards added for performance.

So basically the order is Vivo < Gaming < ROG from my viewpoint. Vivo's are business towers, Gaming are Gaming towers and ROG is a Gaming tower that's been customized for design.

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome to ROG Requim ..
It's all about the price points and specs from what I see. For those that don't have the time or inclination to DIY.
I'm sure you wouldn't find them all on one shelf for sale or area for that matter.
This is ROG .. not just gaming. For those with the time and the inclination to build, OC, Bench .. oh, and Game.
Depends on your Flavor. Best of luck. .c.

Veovis wrote:
My personal opinion: Style and Demographic.
The pre-built desktops are for certain people in mind.

Vivo is geared for the savvy business worker, with the option to play games in some as a "perk." Most of these are built for productivity and responsiveness over gaming capability.

ROG: This has been used several times to divide from the gaming desktops that Asus does. Usually with a little bit more flair (the jagged line pattern) in design and usage of the thematic red and black, or the Strix gunmetal grey and metallic orange. These machines are built to be quiet but powerful, minimalist yet robust. Basically: It looks good, is small, and performs well.

Gaming: For those that like somewhere in between these worlds. The desktops are more like the standard tower while keeping the red and black look. Still keeping the desktop standard layout without any special placing. Basically a desktop with the cards added for performance.

So basically the order is Vivo < Gaming < ROG from my viewpoint. Vivo's are business towers, Gaming are Gaming towers and ROG is a Gaming tower that's been customized for design.

Thank you both for replying to my question. So from what you two are saying RoG is a community and well trusted Gaming systems. While gaming is the latest and greatest slapped together and Vivo is mainly a working Tower that has the capability to also play games.

Veovis
Level 10
Oh you meant ROG as an entity? Well that's different. I thought you just meant in respect to desktops.

Keep in mind that Vivo, gaming and Rog also apply to laptops and other products.

Asus has an odd way of classification of different products when it comes to using labels. Especially when it comes to the different categories (Motherboards, graphics cards, desktops, keyboards, mice, headphones...)

Depending on what you're looking at ROG, Republic of Gamers, is used to refer to a group (this one) and a line catered to that group.
But they're also trying to branch out to different subsets of that group and experiment with variations that happen. For example the graphics cards come in these varieties:

Asus: Cards built to stock specifications from Nvidia, using asus's brand of parts
Mini: Cards built to fit in a 7inch build with the specification of a full 13 inch card
Turbo: Cards built with a special fan design for airflow specifically with SLI/Crossfire in mind

ROG
Strix: Cards built for silent efficiency
Matrix: Cards built for performance efficiency
Poseidon: Cards built for hybrid cooling and custom water pumping
Mars: Cards that use mini to put two high end Nvidia chips on the same board
Ares: Cards that use mini design to put two high end AMD chips on the same board