Graphics Card #1ASUS 7970 Matirx P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    Storage #2WD Raptor 300GB 10K
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Bigwater 760si
    CaseCaseLabs Merlin SM8
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by IMweasel View Post
    So uhm, after the AMD 170U was in the CH5FZ, did you move it back to the CH5F? And it failed too?
    Still thinking about this case!
    edit:
    I stick to bios corruption. I think it has to do with the cpu microcode patching part. Not sure if this part is being pushed or pulled at boot,but if a corrupt BIOS block would be used,the outcome could be bad.
    It might still be worth a shot to swap the bios chip,although i cannot say for sure if the ´bad´ cpu´s will immediately work again.
    It could be worth a try,the cost is not too much.
    As far as i was able to find out,the microcode patches reside in a volatile memory part of the processor. Meaning,it can forget that part.
    Try to -carefully- short all pins of a processor by wrapping it in aluminum foil. And/or put that foil between every line of pins.
    Don´t bend any pins! Leave it overnight.
    If you unwrap it, and put it back in the CH5F,and it is working again,my theory would be correct.
    IMweasel, All the issues I'm having with these CPUs and boards fit your theory! If the C5FZ BIOS/UEFI was
    corrupting/damaging the CPU microcode that certainly would explain why the CPUs worked in the C5F fine,
    then after being in the C5FZ would no longer work. While I wait for the replacement BIOS chip to arrive I've
    taken your advice on shorting out the pins on my AMD 965 CPU. If I'm understanding this correctly this theory
    should work on my C5F. Meaning that after shorting the pins in the AMD 965 for 8 hours or so,
    installing in back into the C5F may yield results. According to https://wiki.debian.org/Microcode,
    "The BIOS (or EFI) updates the CPU microcode during boot". So knowing that the BIOS is good on that board,
    the hope is that any Microcode present should be updated on the CPU.

On a side note, my PSU test went well. I've had my Corsair AX860i connected to an old Lenovo for the last day and a half with no issues.

!!!!!As always Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts!!!!!

ROG Enthusiast Array

You´re welcome. I haven´t experienced something like this in my whole life, and i´m not sure if this is the right approach.
    It´s low risk though, i cannot predict the outcome but it´s not harmful to try this. I keep following this one up ;-)

You could also try to do a bunch of cmos resets before and after every single step taken below; don´t know if this could also clear the cpu microcode or force an update afterwards
    remove power from psu
    uncoupling psu from board
    remove cmos battery
    put cmos battery back in,upside down
    reverse steps

ROG Member Array Lazran PC Specs
    Lazran PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Eee 900ha
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD 9590
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
    CaseCaseLabs Merlin SM8
    OS Windows 10

IMweasel, I have tried shorting the pins for 8 hours on both my 965 and 170U and unfortunately
    this did not give me any results when installing them back into my C5F. I've done some more research
    on CPU microcode, and the microcode on modern CPUs resides in two sections. Microcode from the
    factory is hard coded onto the DIE and the updates are stored in volatile memory. So with all
    power removed from the CPU, the volatile mem should clear and on the next boot would either use the
    stock microcode or load an update from BIOS. Again I complete agree that my main issue with my C5FZ
    is BIOS/UEFI related but I don't think its tied to the microcode. Otherwise I should have seen some results
    on the C5F.

This whole idea of microcode causing the trouble is really thinking outside of the box and I have
    learned a ton from looking into it. I've been working on computers as a profession since 1999
    and never even knew this existed. So as always I thank you for your help and suggestions!
    Makes me wonder how often AMD releases these updates vs how often ASUS adds them to
    there BIOS updates. I guess its worth looking comparing installed version vs current version
    available from AMD.

Since this C5FZ is still under ASUS warranty I have reached out to them. They have approved
    an advanced exchange of my board. So with another 9590 & C5FZ on the way I really hope
    these strange issues will be behind me in the next week or so. My plan will be to assemble
    these parts outside of the case w/ water cooling this time and run it over night before putting
    in back into my case.

So this thread will be quite until the new parts arrive, at which point I'll update this post.

Side Note:
    My future plans are to upgrade from my bigwater 760is to a custom water loop with 480mm
    radiator, D5 pump, 1/2"OD ridged PETG tubing and either an EK or Monsoon Res. Only thing left
    to buy is the res. EK looks and functions great but Monsoon just released there MMRS line and
    it looks amazing! So many options to chooses from, First world problem I guess
    Last edited by Lazran; 02-17-2016 at 05:36 PM.

ROG Member Array Lazran PC Specs
    Lazran PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Eee 900ha
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD 9590
    Memory (part number)Corsair 16GB CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
    CaseCaseLabs Merlin SM8
    OS Windows 10

Sorry this thread has been quiet for a while. I got in all the RMA'ed parts late last week along with another AM3 CPU and
    have been testing them in stages all weekend. Long story the replacement mother board has fixed all my issues. I've been
    using my C5FZ board w/ AMD 9590 since Saturday and have had no issues. Sadly the three CPU's that failed in the old C5FZ
    are still dead but since AMD RMA'ed my 9590 I'll live with the loss. This was a very strange issue that I've never encountered
    or heard of in all my years as a service tech. I guess I'll never know if the board was destroying the CPU microcode or if the
    board had faulty MOSFET chips that killed the CPU when in standby. Thank you to everyone that took the time to read and
    reply to my post!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2