cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z170 Gene Ram Issues

Blackjack
Level 7
Originally could not get the z170 Gene to boot with any type of ram setting other than default or xmp. Updated bios to 1402, now it will only boot with default and get a 41 code with xmp. Any ideas or suggestions. I've tried a bunch of different things and have read a few tutorials on Asus ddr4. Ready to return and try an Impact.
26 REPLIES 26

Nate152
Hello Blackjack

If you can boot at default and XMP it sounds to me like it's working, XMP as you know sets the rated speed, timings and voltage.

You can revert back to the original bios if it was working for you.

Blackjack
Level 7
It no longer boots with any thing other than default on ram, after bios update. I updated because original bios was not working properly. I did not buy this board to run default or xmp. I have four different sets of ram. Not a ram issue, board issue.

Asus 170 Gene
Gskill 3200c16 atm
Evga 1200p
Samsung 840 Evo 250
MSI GTX 770 atm

Other than ram, board funtions as it should., aside from an intermittent incident or 2 of not posting with eist disabled. Which was wonky.

Blackjack wrote:
It no longer boots with any thing other than default on ram, after bios update. I updated because original bios was not working properly. I did not buy this board to run default or xmp. I have four different sets of ram. Not a ram issue, board issue.

Asus 170 Gene
Gskill 3200c16 atm
Evga 1200p
Samsung 840 Evo 250
MSI GTX 770 atm

Other than ram, board funtions as it should., aside from an intermittent incident or 2 of not posting with eist disabled. Which was wonky.

The motherboard has no problem running memory at 3200MHz given that your CPU's IMC is strong enough to do so. At that frequency, manual tweaking of the voltages mentioned by the users above will be necessary. So don't expect your kit to be plug-n-play.

Chino wrote:
The motherboard has no problem running memory at 3200MHz given that your CPU's IMC is strong enough to do so. At that frequency, manual tweaking of the voltages mentioned by the users above will be necessary. So don't expect your kit to be plug-n-play.
First motherboard I've owned (over 2 dozen) that doesn't boot xmp on auto is the point to this post. XMP is about plug and play.

MNMadman - What bios are you on?

Blackjack wrote:
First motherboard I've owned (over 2 dozen) that doesn't boot xmp on auto is the point to this post. XMP is about plug and play.

MNMadman - What bios are you on?

Your CPU's IMC dictate if XMP will work right off the bat or you need manual tweaking. The motherboard automatically assigns certain values to the different voltages involved. If your CPU is below average, you will need to increase the voltages manually. There is no one size fits all.

Nate152 wrote:
XMP is plug and play to a point, once you get up in the higher speeds you will need to adjust voltages to get it to run.

How did you make out did you get your ram working with XMP Blackjack?
Fine as soon as i checked what my other z170 mobo was running this ram at on auto.

Chino wrote:
Your CPU's IMC dictate if XMP will work right off the bat or you need manual tweaking. The motherboard automatically assigns certain values to the different voltages involved. If your CPU is below average, you will need to increase the voltages manually. There is no one size fits all.
The idea of a good bios is that it will automatically,correctly, assign voltages in a certain range, based on VID and other component factors.
48/46@1.35v
50//46@1.415v
Doesn't quite fall into category of a weak chip.

Blackjack wrote:
Fine as soon as i checked what my other z170 mobo was running this ram at on auto.

The idea of a good bios is that it will automatically,correctly, assign voltages in a certain range, based on VID and other component factors.
48/46@1.35v
50//46@1.415v
Doesn't quite fall into category of a weak chip.

What your CPU cores can clock up to is not necessarily indicative of how strong the IMC (internal memory controller) is on the chip. In addition, it is common that the higher you clock the CPU the more limiting it can be on getting the IMC to overclock.

You also seem to miss the point that no matter "how good" the BIOS is, no set values can address every possible scenario. For the CPU cores the auto settings might be able to broad brush voltage issue by over-volting a little. Most folks find the Auto settings over volt and can run less voltage manually. As cores tend to use more voltage the higher they are clocked, the BIOS can be programmed on Auto to over volt a little as a strategy to assist the over clocker. This is NOT so for the IMC. At times to find stability the SA and IO voltages need to be lower. Higher is not necessarily the most common voltage answer. This makes BIOS presets more difficult. And becomes more so the higher your are trying to OC your IMC.

If you are adverse to manually tweaking your system and want Auto to do it all, then you likely made the wrong choice in memory speed or motherboard. Running the IMC 3000 and above is not guaranteed to be plug n play regardless if the memory is speed binned for it. XMP or BIOS Auto functions cannot always address the variability in the CPU's IMC.

Nate152
For 3200MHz you you might need to raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltages a little to get it running at 3200MHz. You can also try setting it manually.

vccio voltage 1.10v - 1.20v
cpu system agent voltage 1.10 - 1.25v

Give this a try start with 1.10v.

By the way I'm from chambersburg pa, but I live in florida.