cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY with magical 8 second boot time?

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi guys,

my first post here. I have Asus G752VY notebook, and yesterday I followed the Windows 10 proper GPT install tutorial, but I am not seeing any
improvements on my boot time. I have fast boot enabled, secure boot also enabled, BIOS version 206.
Could it be that 256GB ssd is slower?

Specs:
i7-6700
GTX 980m
256 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

Thanks,
26 REPLIES 26

navis995
Level 11
How much does it take to boot?
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

JustinThyme
Level 13
Probably 8.001 seconds.
I'm not getting all the hoopla over instaboot and people spending countless hours either trying to have instant on or bricking their machines in the process of doing it then blaming it on ASUS.

If you are to the login screen in less than 30 seconds you are at 1000% improvement over WinXP and a 5400rpm spinner. One thing to note, if you leave it be and quit screwing around with everything it actually does get faster over time.

There are lots of tweaks that are used for folks genuinely having slow boots, when I say slow Im talking a minute or more. You can first trim out start up items. I do this anyhow as I dont need Nvidia update running in the background or M$ one drive. etc. I remove what I dont need everything you remove is one less thing to load. Also in services if you have some that are unnecessary you can disable them, this one is tricky though because if you disable the wrong ones things wont work. Aside from disabling you can right click on slow loading servies and do a delayed start but WTF good is that? Just so you can get to the login screen 300mS faster? It still has to load and will leave you looking at the wait symbol on your desktop.

My recommendation is if its not broke, don't mess with it other than thinning out unnecessary start up items as too many things running in the background hurts performance.

Mine is pretty fast on the boot but nowhere near 8 seconds, more like 15.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yea mine too, I'm at login in @ about 12 seconds. I have fast boot and fast start up turned off. Log on and 8 gadget pack running 4 gadgets takes me another 20 seconds. with out the Gadgets probably full desktop in another 5 seconds. that's fast. The problem with fast startup in you can't get a clean complete shutdown when you need one and will find your self sooner or later in a loop that won't full boot and keeps restarting. Hybrid sleep is still sleep or Hibernate. You end up needing a full shut down no mater what every now and then anyway
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive had no issues with a complete shut down with fast start enabled or disabled. Do it every single time. I don't do sleep or hibernate, a bit pointless when you can boot in 15 seconds. They are set to never in the power profile as is everything except I do let the power profile turn the display off after 15 mins. All SSDs in my machines so no point in turning the power off there, its actually counter productive. Hibernate and sleep were good back in the day of the guaranteed 2 min boot times on 5400 rpm spinners.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

cdma2k
Level 7
hibernate is a very useful and power saving feature, use it everyday
It saves time to set up working environments if one has complicated working envirments, no need to set it up again after power on
it saves power when it hibernates

navis995
Level 11
You have to pay in mind not every SSD (Even with same speeds) will boot the same.
Mine for example (Samsung Evo 840 250GB) takes about 7 seconds.
Some's takes only half of that, then again someone else's takes 10.

It is like GPU/CPU silicon lottery. Some people can overclock crazy high, others cannot even with everything being absolutely the same.

If you have around 10s boot time it is an improvement. If not in boot then everywhere else. If you're not satisfied with the result do as the guys above me said.

Disable unnecessary programs at boot. Delete the programs that you don't use. Other than that enjoy the wonders of SSD.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

Hi,

My boot time is 12-15seconds.
I usually do not care about this things like this boot time issue (comes with age), but in this case I have good reasons for nagging and wanting my new notebook to reach this 8 second time.
1. Original reason is my concern whether I did the MBR->GPT conversion correctly described in a Guide here on the forums. There were no improvements
after fresh windows install, so I thought that I could not follow a simple guide.
2. Paying almost double the price of my friends NB which is Acer nitro V17 (1000€), he gets 8 second boot time. I have seen Asus G751's getting also
8 seconds on youtube. SO it is for me natural when I already decided to do the conversion and pay that sum of money to research the hell out of it on how can I make
it faster.

@justin your comparison has actually nothing constructive to do with this example because you are comparing brand new hardware with Windows XP and 5400???
Not starting an argument here.

Cheers,

May be stating the obvious here, but have you reordered the start-up devices in your bios? Bypassing the checks for DVD's and such will save a few seconds for sure.

@kidfisto you may not know this but some of these are shipping with only spinners no SSD from the manufacture at all. Even with WD Blacks boot times would be close to a minute so then you would want to use windows fast boot, with SSD it more or less useless and whether you boot in 8 seconds or 15 seconds so what it hasn't been that long since 1 minute boots were considered fast.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro