cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help running Windows 10 OS from SSD - i5 G20AJ

SNB43
Level 7
So awhile back I managed to get an SSD plugged into the pc so that I could get the OS running from it. However after I copied the OS from the HDD to the SSD, I couldn't manage to change the BIOS settings to get Windows to run from it natively. Could somebody who has managed to do it give me a step by step guide to getting the OS running from an SSD on this pc? Would be much appreciated 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
I'm not familiar with the BIOS in the G20AJ but is there a Boot tab? If there is, the option should be in there.

There is a boot tab, but which option do I need to change?

Try the "first boot device" setting, this one isn't rocket science, if you tell it to start from the HDD first it will, tell it to start from the SSD first, then it will.
The UEFI also has help screens available in it.

I tried setting it to run from the SSD first but Windows didn't boot and it went back to the BIOS.

SNB43 wrote:
I tried setting it to run from the SSD first but Windows didn't boot and it went back to the BIOS.

Did you save your changes before exiting the BIOS?

Yes. Save and exit.

dianebrat
Level 9
That means the SSD doesn't have the correct boot files on it or you didn't turn off "secure boot"

Is the secure boot option in the BIOS? And when you say correct boot files, do you mean everything that's on the C: drive, because that's what I cloned.

SNB43 wrote:
Is the secure boot option in the BIOS? And when you say correct boot files, do you mean everything that's on the C: drive, because that's what I cloned.

Well first off I do not ever recommend cloning, I prefer making the recovery media and then pulling the old drive, installing the new clean drive, and recovering on to that, and that's exactly what I did for my SSD into my G20.
If the cloned drive isn't done properly then the boot files might not be correct, but that all depends on the process.

But again, with UEFI it's important that you choose the correct boot order, the correct boot device, and if secure boot was enabled in the UEFI that you turn it off since it can and will see the proper boot files over on the other drive.